longview wa, my first run in with the law - Page 8

longview wa, my first run in with the law

This is a discussion on longview wa, my first run in with the law within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the OP. I don't think you did anything wrong at all. I commend you. Don't listen to anti-OC bigots who tell you directly or ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: longview wa, my first run in with the law

To the OP. I don't think you did anything wrong at all. I commend you.

Don't listen to anti-OC bigots who tell you directly or with their nice sounding, "Just giving friendly advice BS." not to OC or that CC would be better. Tune them out. Keep on OCing my friend.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

when it comes to my punctuation i am used to my smart phone.it usually capitalizes and puts in the correct punctuations for me.i usually dont pay attention to "correct"punctuation and capital letters.people arent stupid and lost without correct punctuation and capitalization.they all read my thread, understood it and stated their opinion.so im not too worried about punctuations and capitalizations. you dont like how i write you are free not to read it.as you very well know.thanx for your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to comment on the use of punctuation and capital letters.

Other wise, he did have an attitude, was probably looking for a chance to stand up for his rights, and then complained that he got the chance.

yes i came on here to get opinions and thoughts of others.i got lots of opinions, gave a few of the serious ones lots of thought, then went with my own approach.it seems to me that most of the people in here that claim to be gun rights supporters are more of gun rights denoters.they know their rights and responsibilities but they seem to be afraid to show it by open carrying and not hiding it like its something taboo. look at all the damn cowboys back in the day. i know that those days are long gone but i mean those guys new their rights and excersized them daily. as a way of life.the way they lived every day.thank you for your response and opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    To the OP. I don't think you did anything wrong at all. I commend you.

Don't listen to anti-OC bigots who tell you directly or with their nice sounding, "Just giving friendly advice BS." not to OC or that CC would be better. Tune them out. Keep on OCing my friend.
    TN_Mike likes this.

I'd like to change pace here for a minute...

IMO The O/P was mostly lucky. The Officer could have pushed the issue a bit further. When the O/P failed to cooperate the officer could have excercised his option to act on behalf of his own safety and disarmed the OP. The officer could have run a records check to find out if the O/P was a convicted felon, or mental incompetent. If a crowd had gathered there coud be a charge of disorderly conduct. Dispite the O/P's obstinate attitude the Officer let it all go. Now there'san officer out there thinking less of open carriers, and people of your color. You did not do yourself any favors.

VIP Member
    Before this thread goes down a rabbit trail and acuses Secret Spuk of being anti people of color because he made a comment about them, based on my read of prior posts, I believe that he is a person of color. He is also ex-LEO. While I don't agree with all of his posts, I think there is wisdom in this one.

Spuk - if I got any of this wrong, please correct me.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

OP the only thing I may have done differently was you initial response no I am not an officer but here in WA open carry is allowed..... I do find myself OC'ing much more frequently and have even had to educate a Bristol LEO the other day as he was SURE that herein TN it had to be concealed. It is not my obligation to educate people, however when the need arises I take it as one of the aspects that go hand in hand with OC.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I miss the days when the anti-OC bigots couldn't come on this part of the site and say stupid things like "You should have just covered it up." Or "This is why concealed carry is the best way to go." Those of us who OC do not go on the rest of the site and butt into every one of your threads and suggest that it would always be better to Open Carry so why do you people feel it necessary to interject your opinion on our mode of carry every damn time on the OC board? And it's nearly always done with this smarmy condescending attitude like you are trying to educate a child. I'm really sick of those of you who do this and truth be told, it's one of the reasons I don't spend as much time here as I used to.

And you know what, the OP makes a good point. He posted his experience here in hopes of getting constructive criticism and possibly some advice on what he could have done differently. NOT to get told by a bunch of OC bigots who come to this portion of the site just to try to start crap with those of us who OC.

As I have said before and I will continue to say, those of you who are anti-OC but who CC are at least in part espousing the anti-gun/anti-carry position of the Brandy Campaign. We all carry for our safety and the safety of our loved ones. But, you feel the need to try to trash those of us who OC, a LEGAL form of carry in many states. We, the OC crowd do not talk crap about those of you who CC exclusively. I am all for everyone carrying. Concealed or open, what ever is legal in your state and whatever you are most comfortable with. If you carry concealed and are rabidly against OC you are partly anti-carry. Simple as that.

I hate to say it but, since Bumper sold the site and a few tweaks of the rules were made, the no OC/CC debate being chief among them, this site looks a little too much like Packing.org sometimes.

I'm actually sorry that I am somewhat responsible for the OC section being created by Bumper. Don't believe me? Ask SIXTO or JD.
    In fact the real discussion here isn't about whether to or not to open carry. It's about whether to or not to act like a spoiled petulant child when questioned about it.

It seems that a large percentage of threads started in the OC forum start off with an accounting of how someone had come in conflict with citizens or law enforcement people while open carrying and bungled the opportunity to create some good PR by just behaving in a boorish, uncooperative way. They then go on to bemoan what they see as having been denied their rights. It isn't hard to see why posters on the forum would be critical. It's less about being anti OC and more about being anti stupid and rude. If you want to OC and can do so legally, suit yourself but please be prepared to deal with the inevitable attention you will get in a manner that will reflect well on you and on us all as gun owners and 2A supporters. When we fall short in this regard as the OP certainly did we just become useful idiots for the Brady Bunch.

As for me, I support the right to open carry. I'm not supportive of stupidity and childish behavior.
    mkh, Rotorblade, atctimmy and 7 others like this.

I think we are misinterpreting the OP. I feel like he handled the situation calmly and positively , and it may be his writing style that comes across as having a bad attitude about this incident.
    Pistology and TN_Mike like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

mkh
    Pp

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    In fact the real discussion here isn't about whether to or not to open carry. It's about whether to or not to act like a spoiled petulant child when questioned about it.

It seems that a large percentage of threads started in the OC forum start off with an accounting of how someone had come in conflict with citizens or law enforcement people while open carrying and bungled the opportunity to create some good PR by just behaving in a boorish, uncooperative way. They then go on to bemoan what they see as having been denied their rights. It isn't hard to see why posters on the forum would be critical. It's less about being anti OC and more about being anti stupid and rude. If you want to OC and can do so legally, suit yourself but please be prepared to deal with the inevitable attention you will get in a manner that will reflect well on you and on us all as gun owners and 2A supporters. When we fall short in this regard as the OP certainly did we just become useful idiots for the Brady Bunch.

As for me, I support the right to open carry. I'm not supportive of stupidity and childish behavior.
    That has been my take all along - well said.

I am for OC but it isn't allowed in Florida.i can and do OC on my property and make no excuses for it. Still, I think the OP has an attitude problem and if it doesn't change ( as witnessed in his followup posts) we will be reading about him In the news and not on this forum.

OP - that beutiful daughter you talked about sou ds like a good reason to carry. I understand you wanting to come home to her safely as well as protect her. Just please do it responsibly. For her. For everyone else who carries.

OP No matter what you think, most here are on your side. Just the sound of the way things played out in your post seemed to convey some animosity among those involved. It's not the fact that you were OC or wanting to stick up for what you thought was right. It's none of that. The concern here is what happens when the best approach is not taken and a situation end up escalating into the public eye. Here's a snip from the link.

California has allowed weapons to be displayed in public, provided they are not loaded. Gun enthusiasts took advantage of that to gather at Bay Area Starbucks outlets last year with pistols on their hips. Police chiefs and sheriffs complained that panicked customers' calls were diverting them from chasing real criminals.
    Although we can view OC without panic, a lot of people who've never been around guns or don't know the law for that matter, can't. Now I know what they were trying to do but this more than likely added to the fire when you have people trying to shove their rights down others' throats. Don't forget, we're on your side. We should also try and be as cordial as possible because if it was I that wasn't armed talking to someone that was, it would sure make me feel more comfortable and at ease knowing that this person was easy to talk to. Remember, an armed society should be a polite society. We can educate others a lot more effectively by being polite. And unfortunately our views on firearms does't resonate with 100% of the populous.

Don't let this happen to your state. Keep enjoying your freedoms. Brown bans open carrying of handguns - Los Angeles Times

That's all, carry on.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post

^This^
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

That's where I was at. The officer approached me asked for ID. I stated to him my right to not have to give him my ID and give up my privacy. Then he just gets frustrated and tries to tell me to get my food and leave. Calling me an *******,cuz I had stated my rights to him .then we get our food sit and eat.he storms off after I ask him for his business card. So I feel he got upset with the fact that I knew a little bit.enough to keep him from pushing me around.thanx for your response and opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    OP the only thing I may have done differently was you initial response no I am not an officer but here in WA open carry is allowed..... I do find myself OC'ing much more frequently and have even had to educate a Bristol LEO the other day as he was SURE that herein TN it had to be concealed. It is not my obligation to educate people, however when the need arises I take it as one of the aspects that go hand in hand with OC.
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brazildsm View Post
    yes i came on here to get opinions and thoughts of others.i got lots of opinions, gave a few of the serious ones lots of thought, then went with my own approach.it seems to me that most of the people in here that claim to be gun rights supporters are more of gun rights denoters.they know their rights and responsibilities but they seem to be afraid to show it by open carrying and not hiding it like its something taboo. look at all the damn cowboys back in the day. i know that those days are long gone but i mean those guys new their rights and excersized them daily. as a way of life.the way they lived every day.thank you for your response and opinion.

Maybe you should study about "back in the day".

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2188165/posts
    goldshellback and brazildsm like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

JD
    Administrator
    OK, this one's done..

A few parting comments.

1: Do unto others as you would do unto you: If you want to be treated with respect, you need to treat others with respect. If you treat a police officer like a tool, odds are he's going to treat you like one as well. You want to "beat" an anti carry law enforcement officer at their own game? Kill 'em with kindness and give them no reason to mess with you and send them on their way knowing they didn't get to you.

2: If you're not a "people person" I would strongly urge you to select a method of carry that does not invite unwanted attention from 15 year old sandwich makers and cops. Even if you are a people person but are having a bad day and you don't want to deal with someone's baggage, probably not a good day to open carry. brazildsm, Yes you were just wanting to eat your sandwich, but by making your gun an item of public display, you open yourself to have to deal with other people's drama regardless if you're in the right or not and you need to accept that.

3: As noted previously, regardless if you intend to be an "Open carry ambassador" or not, the mere fact that you are open carrying makes you one. It is how you interact with those persons that will sway the outcome of stuff like this: ALERT: WA Ceasefire to push open carry ban in 2012. If you want to prevent legislation that would ban open carry, you have to be willing do deal with the crap that comes with it in a positive manner.

4: Kudos to the OP for taking as many on the chin as he did in this thread, it's a tough crowd here sometimes but I think he hung in admirably, a few forum usage issues aside...good job.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links