To the non-OC'ers who frequent this part of the site.... - Page 3

To the non-OC'ers who frequent this part of the site....

This is a discussion on To the non-OC'ers who frequent this part of the site.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PIMking it wasn't meant as that, I just stating that in the old old old days that was the way it was. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: To the non-OC'ers who frequent this part of the site....

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    it wasn't meant as that, I just stating that in the old old old days that was the way it was. Just saying that times have changed as have attitudes.

I'm pro LAC carry no matter how you carry.
    I wasn't criticizing you. I was trying to figure out why some would take offense.
    PIMking likes this.

Administrator
    Remember also that DefensiveCarry.com and (before that) Combatcarry.com was originally set up to be specifically focused as a "legal concealed carry" forum.

An Open Carry forum was not permitted on DC until long after its inception and back then....it was the Open Carry people who were always jumping onto DC (the Concealed Carry dedicated website) and constantly stirring the pot with confrontational and inflammatory posts and threads.

Some of our vintage and original Concealed Carry members still remember those fateful days so I'm guessing they sometimes offer up a bit of ingrained backlash.

Honestly one of the original reasons for the anamosity was that we had a lot of members (active and retired) in various Law Enforcement professions and they really did not like the posting of the Open Carry videos that were rude, smartass, and goading toward LEOs.

Because many of the LEOs were just pawns that were caught between a rock and a hard place regarding what they were ordered to do by their superiors and the crap that they had to endure out in the streets.

That created (rightly or wrongly) a good deal of ill feelings on DC because it was not an issue that CC folks ever had to contend with.

We used to just PM them about OpenCarry.org and then ban them. Some of them came here from OpenCarry.org but, didn't want to stay there because compared to DC it was a fairly dead and inactive site.

I'm personally glad that we do not have to do that anymore.

Administrator
    In fact....I just noticed that the Forum Rules Page needs to have the opening headed updated since it's still a carry over from when DC was Concealed Carry ONLY.

(see below) I'll need to revise that later on after I'm off of Mrs. QKs crappy laptop with the POS Internet connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

DefensiveCarry.com Rules

The DefensiveCarry.com forums have grown tremendously and we thank all of you for being part of this community committed to concealed weapons carry.

In order to keep the forums running well and to prevent problems, I hope each of you will take a minute and read "Our Rules" here or under the link in the blue navigation bar above. The rules are meant to reduce the amount of discord that is present in so many other forums and detracts from the purpose and value of the forum itself. This forum was created to be a resource for those of us that legally carry a concealed weapon and, where required, have obtained a concealed carry permit.

Every member is expected to follow the forum rules to participate. You agreed to them to become a member. Where they are open to interpretation, the forum staff will make the final interpretation. If there are any questions regarding these rules, please feel free to contact any of the forum staff.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    In fact....I just noticed that the Forum Rules Page needs to have the opening headed updated since it's still a carry over from when DC was Concealed Carry ONLY.

(see below) I'll need to revise that later on after I'm off of Mrs. QKs crappy laptop with the POS Internet connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

DefensiveCarry.com Rules

The DefensiveCarry.com forums have grown tremendously and we thank all of you for being part of this community committed to concealed weapons carry.

In order to keep the forums running well and to prevent problems, I hope each of you will take a minute and read "Our Rules" here or under the link in the blue navigation bar above. The rules are meant to reduce the amount of discord that is present in so many other forums and detracts from the purpose and value of the forum itself. This forum was created to be a resource for those of us that legally carry a concealed weapon and, where required, have obtained a concealed carry permit.

Every member is expected to follow the forum rules to participate. You agreed to them to become a member. Where they are open to interpretation, the forum staff will make the final interpretation. If there are any questions regarding these rules, please feel free to contact any of the forum staff.
    I thought that's why you guys had this silly points thing working :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    If you do not OC and you do not believe in OC, why do you come to this section of the site? My personal belief is that it is solely to start crap with those of us who do OC and because you feel that you are so much smarter than us poor ol' dumb OC'ers you just HAVE to come here and educate us.

I for one am sick of it. You do not see those of us OC'er going to the rest of the site and saying that everyone should just open carry.

If someone wants to OC and it's legal for them to do so, why the heck can't you just leave it alone instead of turning nearly every damn thread on this one small section of the site into a open vs. concealed debate?

I am officially asking that the no open vs. concealed debate rule be instituted. I'm tired of every thread here degenerating into this stupidity. This site is starting to look a little too much like Packing.org sometimes.
    When I log onto this site, I click the '"active topics" icon. If something in the list of threads catches my interest, I read it. If I am so moved, I comment. Sometimes my comments get likes, sometimes they get disagreement, and sometimes I get infractions. There is no open vs concealed debate with me, since I always do one, and never do the other.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    When I log onto this site, I click the '"active topics" icon. If something in the list of threads catches my interest, I read it. If I am so moved, I comment. Sometimes my comments get likes, sometimes they get disagreement, and sometimes I get infractions. There is no open vs concealed debate with me, since I always do one, and never do the other.
    Glad to see you here Mike.
    Badey likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Mike,

I click on "New Posts" instead of going sub-forum by sub-forum. Having said that, I don't give a hoot how you carry your gun. Thus, I don't really notice what section a thread is in.

The root problem you describe is that not only do most modern Americans feel that they should be able to live their own life in whatever manner they choose, but they also feel you and I should live our lives in whatever manner they choose.

Stay safe,
    Herk
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 4th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Glad to see you here Mike.
    Thanks. I have been out of town doing summer stuff, so I haven't been posting much.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Here is a fact for you. The people on this forum make open carry a FAR bigger issue than 99% of the general public. When I OC PEOPLE DON'T CARE. In fact, most people have their cell phones so far up their ear they wouldn't notice if I had my AR strapped over my shoulder.

If you don't want to OC then don't do it, but stop lecturing those of us who do.
    TN_Mike and tcox4freedom like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Here is a fact for you. The people on this forum make open carry a FAR bigger issue than 99% of the general public. When I OC PEOPLE DON'T CARE. In fact, most people have their cell phones so far up their ear they wouldn't notice if I had my AR strapped over my shoulder.

If you don't want to OC then don't do it, but stop lecturing those of us who do.
    Do they really not care, or are they too intimidated and uncomfortable to act like they notice?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Ayn Rand

Administrator
    Just remember that conceal carry use to be frowned down on because you had something to hide...

Because it perpetuates the Us VS Them mentality on the forum where the majority of our members carry concealed and the insinuation of that statement would be that Concealed Carry is somehow "more sneaky" than Open Carry.
    At least that is the way our members would respond to it. Completely aside from the fact that it's a historically incorrect statement.

"I'm being serious here. Help me understand why post #17 is inflammatory? I don't get it."

Because then that would force me to respond that....
    No, actually that would be totally incorrect and when the Old West towns were fully established the open display of a firearm was frowned upon and considered to be roguish and uncivilized and that is why the early shoulder holsters were invented to conceal the larger "hog Leg" firearms under a jacket or a vest and that is why the smaller "pocket pistol" firearms and the Derringers and unique type firearms like the easily concealable Palm Pistol were created along with the first "pocket holsters."

So that civilized people and true "gentlemen" could conceal their personal protection away from (and out of) public view.

Or...cowboys who rode into towns to catch up on a hot bath and a few shots of whisky and a dance or two with a "purdy female" at the Dance Hall had to "check" their openly carried Six Shooters at the Sheriffs Office and pick them up again when they were on their way riding back OUT of town.

And that would start the entire OC VS CC debate all over again which is why I didn't post a reply to it until you asked.

But, regardless it does not have any bearing on Modern Times but, just to be historically correct the actual facts need to be posted for the historical record.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I'm being serious here. Help me understand why post#17 is inflammatory? I don't get it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

JD
    Administrator

Will comment in more detail later...

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    If you do not OC and you do not believe in OC, why do you come to this section of the site? My personal belief is that it is solely to start crap with those of us who do OC and because you feel that you are so much smarter than us poor ol' dumb OC'ers you just HAVE to come here and educate us.

I for one am sick of it. You do not see those of us OC'er going to the rest of the site and saying that everyone should just open carry.

If someone wants to OC and it's legal for them to do so, why the heck can't you just leave it alone instead of turning nearly every damn thread on this one small section of the site into a open vs. concealed debate?

I am officially asking that the no open vs. concealed debate rule be instituted. I'm tired of every thread here degenerating into this stupidity. This site is starting to look a little too much like Packing.org sometimes.

First and foremost, regarding:

I am officially asking that the no open vs. concealed debate rule be instituted
    For those not understanding what this is referencing, see this thread: Changes to the Open Carry forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    When we originally opened this forum, I added a notation that this was not the place to "debate the virtues of open carry", essentially making it a protected forum. I have, since then, debated whether this was the right thing to do since we did not place any restrictions on other forums.

Open carry is a controversial subject, particularly when those that do OC do so specifically to garner attention to the practice. While we still discourage arguments over this topic, we will no longer offer "protection" for those who's practices invoke controversy. We now all stand on even ground but we will not hesitate to issue infractions for those that cross the line in comments and rebuttals.

If you can accept these changes, we will continue to welcome you to this forum. If not, there is another forum out there that may be more to your liking....

And I agree with Bumper in that decision. Censoring commentary (other than that directly prohibited by forum rules, IE non-firearm related politics etc.) does not make for good debate or conversation. Not allowing negative commentary on a practice doesn't do a whole lot when people want to discuss the pros and cons of an issue. Where else should we enact such a policy? Should we prohibit negative commentary on 1911s? How about Hi Points? Should we not allow any negative commentary on those? How about Glocks? Taurus? Sig? Pick your flavor that you don't like and we'll just delete anything negative about that gun. What about holster makers? Should we go back to the days of not allowing people to voice complaints on holster makers that were basically ripping off our members?

No, we wouldn't do that and I don't see us doing that for the open carry section either.

While I'm sure that there is some content that is meant to be derisive in nature, as a whole this forum is not actively moderated in a manner where we go looking to issue infractions, we rely heavily on members reporting issues as they arise. Failure to do this, or combating poor behavior with like kind is a sure way to rush that particular sub-forum into its demise.

In reviewing reported posts from the open carry section, there have been ZERO reported posts in 2012 pointing out improper behavior or violation of forum rules/community standards.

If the issues aren't being reported, it's not going to get fixed. Typically, when things DO get reported is when members try to "sort things out" in the public forum and run afoul of the forum's rules regarding name calling & insults etc.

I'll take some time to read over the sub forum and see if there is legitimate cause for concern, but at a cursory glance, I'm not seeing it which leads me to not support a request to enact policy censoring one particular point of view.

I know QK has all ready quoted several of the forum's rules, but to recap.

2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.

While these rules cover most common situations, we cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way. Posts that are contrary to the above policies or to the mission of DefensiveCarry.com, or violate our community standards may be edited or deleted at our sole discretion. We're a private venture enabled by an all-volunteer staff and forum Administrators and/or Moderators shall make the final decision on what does/does not violate community standards.

If there is content being posted that violates the rules posted above, report it. We may not see the issue as a rules violation, but we will at least look into the matter and discuss it and take action when appropriate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links