police stop man for open carrying (vid)

This is a discussion on police stop man for open carrying (vid) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu They are too far gone to count LOL! But I am saying is there any facts showing OC'ers being idiots exercising ...

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: police stop man for open carrying (vid)

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    They are too far gone to count LOL! But I am saying is there any facts showing OC'ers being idiots exercising thier rights have affected legislation or national mindset? You almost never if ever hear of these idiots on national news unless it is an extremely slow news day. You hear of folks like Zimmerman and even the guy in WI (who was justified in shooting the kid that ran from the cops after an underage drinking party). In the regional news you hear of shootings by gun owners and stuff like that. Hardly ever a peep of folks like this dude. It mostly is in the local news and quickly forgotten. We talk about more than any one else!

BTW: I need to change my profile to Location: Texas. We are still unpacking.
    I havent heard anything on a national level. But you know as well as I, it all starts on a regional level. Glad your getting settled in....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I havent heard anything on a national level. But you know as well as I, it all starts on a regional level. Glad your getting settled in....
    My point is we (or I should say other folks) get bent out of shape with these incidents when they really do hardly any harm. If someone is anti then they aren't swayed, if someone is pro 2a they aren't swayed, and very few folks are on the fence about 2A.

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    And again and I hope for the last time. I support his right to OC but do not support the lack of cooperation displayed. Yes Sir,heres my ID, what are your stopping me for, am i breaking any laws. No sir im not, we'll thanks now its time to move on. It makes it makes more difficult to further educated those that want to tread on those rights after you have created a mind set that we are all punks. Will that cop stop him again, yes he will. If he was nicer about the situation, he may think twice. We do have something to prove whether we like it or not and that is we are not a threat. I don't think this guy offered that up. The attitude was not portionate to the line of questioning. Whats your name...come on. Dispite it being his right, no one came away with anything except this guy didn't get thrown in jail and his special YouTube video. Confronting does not create understanding. I believe its our job to create understanding. Take it to the polls as a group. You can stand your ground and command respect at the same time. Your Airborne symbol tells me you know what I'm talking about. I don't respect his interaction, he came off as a dush. He got his fifteen minutes. That's all. No respect from me. I don't support bad behavior. As a group show we are not a threat.
    If the person is exercising his right not to comply and is breaking no law that should be the end of it. There is no further reason for the government to detain him.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My point is we (or I should say other folks) get bent out of shape with these incidents when they really do hardly any harm. If someone is anti then they aren't swayed, if someone is pro 2a they aren't swayed, and very few folks are on the fence about 2A.
    You would be surprised at how many are on the fence. To be honest it surprised me, and it was mostly women. Maybe its regional. It always happens in class, someone will raise a question about a video they saw on youtube.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    No...you failed to "read my mind"....but that's ok. You see your attitude you have toward people who disagree with you....that's an personality trait....the same trait you use toward LEO's that you deem bad and want to deprive your rights....all the while they are just trying to live another day and keep people safe on the streets. Do some introspection...you can figure this out.
    Actually, I just tried to figure out this post but it doesn't really say anything. The sentence structure is so off it has no meaning. I'm pretty sure you were trying to say something about my attitude but you failed.

What amazes me even more is that two people clicked the like button on a post that is 75% gibberish.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Actually, I just tried to figure out this post but it doesn't really say anything. The sentence structure is so off it has no meaning. I'm pretty sure you were trying to say something about my attitude but you failed.

What amazes me even more is that two people clicked the like button on a post that is 75% gibberish.
    The sentence structure is at the 10 grade level and up...that's probably the reason you are having trouble reading it. Really timmy....we can go on and on. Why don't we both just let it go....agree to disagree.....be adults....and enjoy the forum.....Deal?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Group hug
    Badey and Rock and Glock like this.

Haha, most 10th graders know where to put commas, an vs. a, proper use of ellipses, and how about not stringing together a bunch of clauses in a vain attempt to replicate a sentence. Not really the grammar police, but I agree with atctimmy - that post was really annoying to read.

VIP Member
    PEF's 7th rule of Internet threads: The presence of ad hominem attacks and grammatical critiques in a thread indicates the thread is beyond subject rehabilitation.

Juuuuust sayin'.....

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

There are some folks aching to get busted here. Cut it out, or you'll be sent to "Time Out". I am not in the mood to babysit. There are plenty of folks here that want to participate in a meaningful and thoughtful fashion, so if we can proceed that would just be peachy.

well what i have seen that many have missed. including the police officer. is his stop was actually LEGAL...if he had known the lay. this took place in Portland Oregon. i may currently live in texas but i am from Tigard oregon. the open carry laws may have changed since i was last there. But Oregon is considered an anomolous open carry state. meaning it is generally legal to open carry however towns, cities, and counties can have their own LOCAL open carry bans. Portland, Tigard, Beaverton, Oregon city, and Salem are all areas that have a local open carry ban in effect. so this law student, the police officer, and the supervisor all failed. if the police officer had known ALL the state and local law on open carry, when the lay student asked if he was suspected of commiting a crime, the officer should have responded with you are suspected with violating the local open carry ban.
    the only way around this is. if you have a concealed handgun permit, you are exempt from LOCAL open carry bans. i emphisize the local because if the STATE its self does not allow open carry than it is illegal no matter what.

I'm betting the guy knew the open carry laws there.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Dente2040 View Post
    well what i have seen that many have missed. including the police officer. is his stop was actually LEGAL...if he had known the lay. carry however towns, cities, and counties can have their own LOCAL open carry bans. Portland, Tigard, Beaverton, Oregon city, and Salem are all areas that have a local open carry ban in effect. so this law student, the police officer, and the supervisor... all failed. ... if you have a concealed handgun permit, you are exempt from LOCAL open carry bans.
    That still doesn't justify the stop. The LEO had no way to know or suspect the guy didn't have a CCW so there was still no reason for the stop.

City of Portland 14A.60.010
    D. It is unlawful for any person who possesses a firearm, ... to refuse to permit a police officer to inspect that firearm after the police officer has identified him or herself as a police officer. This Section does not apply to ... nor persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dente2040 View Post
    well what i have seen that many have missed. including the police officer. is his stop was actually LEGAL...if he had known the lay. this took place in Portland Oregon. i may currently live in texas but i am from Tigard oregon. the open carry laws may have changed since i was last there. But Oregon is considered an anomolous open carry state. meaning it is generally legal to open carry however towns, cities, and counties can have their own LOCAL open carry bans. Portland, Tigard, Beaverton, Oregon city, and Salem are all areas that have a local open carry ban in effect. so this law student, the police officer, and the supervisor all failed. if the police officer had known ALL the state and local law on open carry, when the lay student asked if he was suspected of commiting a crime, the officer should have responded with you are suspected with violating the local open carry ban.
    the only way around this is. if you have a concealed handgun permit, you are exempt from LOCAL open carry bans. i emphisize the local because if the STATE its self does not allow open carry than it is illegal no matter what.
    Actually, this took place in Portland, Maine
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Links