police stop man for open carrying (vid) - Page 13

police stop man for open carrying (vid)

This is a discussion on police stop man for open carrying (vid) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Badey Actually, this took place in Portland, Maine A town with some of the best food in the country. Portland Maine is ...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: police stop man for open carrying (vid)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Actually, this took place in Portland, Maine
    A town with some of the best food in the country. Portland Maine is near and dear to my heart.
    Badey likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Here in Oklahoma that will be the law when our open carry goes into effect Nov. 1. Carrier must provide 2 forms of ID one being the handgun license the other being a legal ID. Officer however can not disarm the carrier unless he believes a crime has been or is about to be committed. That's the way it's worded anyway, we'll see how well it works out.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Personally, I think the police officer handled the situation very well, and the individual with the gun was just looking for a confrontation so he could portray himself as a hero on youtube. If you're a cop, a MWAG call is no laughing matter, and disarming a subject until you know exactly who you are dealing with can mean the difference between life and death. Walk around most locations in this great country with an openly-carried sidearm on your hip, and you're going to attract attention. If that's what you want, more power to you. I'd rather folks not know that I'm carrying a loaded handgun if for no other reason that it allows me to retain the element of surprise. That said, I, too, carry openly every evening when I take my walk around the neighborhood. Much more comfortable, more accessible, and my neighbors all know I own guns, so nobody bats an eye. It's a friendly, peaceful neighborhood, but there are a several pit bulls in the area, and they can run much more quickly than can I.
    Big Ray
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I fail to see how he went "looking for a confrontation" by doing something 100% within the law. If someone called and said "Someone just drove by my house.", do you think the cops would show up to make sure they had a license to drive without asking if there was some particular thing to be concerned about other than a car going by?

As soon as his supervisor showed up and heard the story he was free to go... no further questions asked, which tells me some training is needed in that area.

I open carried to the grocery store with my family yesterday... spur of the moment thing so I didn't change and dress around my gun - was I also looking for a confrontation? Open carry is completely legal where I live.

The guy in the video is probably tired of being stopped for open carrying and as such, learned everything he needed to know to end the encounter as quickly as possible to be on his merry way.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I fail to see how he went "looking for a confrontation" by doing something 100% within the law. If someone called and said "Someone just drove by my house.", do you think the cops would show up to make sure they had a license to drive without asking if there was some particular thing to be concerned about other than a car going by?

It's like an Email I got recently...goes like this...

DISPATCHER: "911, what is your emergency?"

CALLER: "There are two guys breaking my garage with crowbars!"

DISPATCHER: "We're sorry, but there are no units available right now..."

CALLER: "Are you kidding me? Thanks anyway, goodbye (hangs up)"

Caller calls back immediately...

DISPATCHER: "911 what is your emergency?"

CALLER: "I just shot a burglar"

Within minutes, 3 police cars and a helo are on scene...

LEAD OFFICER: "We had a report of a homeowner shooting a burglar!"

CALLER: "Strange, 911 just told me there are no units available."

This is a fictitious story of course.
    Civil_Response likes this.

Thunder71,
    I apologize if I offended you. I was referring solely to the individual in the video as seeking confrontation. I truly believe that had he complied with the officer's purely routine requests from the start, he would have been on his way much sooner, and there would likely have been no video to post on youtube. Instead, he repeatedly refused to cooperate with the officer. I'm an open-carrier myself (as added to my previous post), but I also have a number of close friends in law enforcement, and I'm proud of the work they do. I never forget that they have to strap on a gun every day, while we have the luxury of choosing to do so.
    Big Ray
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    No offense taken here BigRay!

( PS, how's the pheasant population looking down there? :) )

Thunder71,
    Actually, pretty good for a change. Relatively dry spring and lots of extra CRP acres should help. I've seen quite a few along the roadsides so far. Gotta remember to get my son enrolled in the next Hunter Safety Course so he can get his hunting license! (He bagged his first pheasant at age 5 with a single shot New England Arms .410!) That was 10 years ago. Unfortunately, we haven't been hunting for a few years, but we're hoping to hit the fields again this year.
    I was just up by the Zumbrota area this past week, and saw quite a few wild turkeys and even a couple of coyotes. May have to plan a hunting trip up there :-)
    BigRay

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A town with some of the best food in the country. Portland Maine is near and dear to my heart.
    My wife and I visit Maine every other year. The Camden area is our favorite spot; the lobster is cheap, and the people are friendly.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Thunder71,
    I apologize if I offended you. I was referring solely to the individual in the video as seeking confrontation. I truly believe that had he complied with the officer's purely routine requests from the start, he would have been on his way much sooner, and there would likely have been no video to post on youtube. Instead, he repeatedly refused to cooperate with the officer. I'm an open-carrier myself (as added to my previous post), but I also have a number of close friends in law enforcement, and I'm proud of the work they do. I never forget that they have to strap on a gun every day, while we have the luxury of choosing to do so.
    Big Ray
    Ask yourself this: if the officer had observed the person was doing nothing illegal and not harassed him to begin with, would there have been ANY delay or video?

In my state the "purely routine questions" are a no go as I believe they are also in the state the video was filmed in, are you sure you want to say that is OK?

Distinguished Member
    The incident in that video occurred a few blocks from my office. The "victim" has another recording of a previous stop a few towns away.
    I'm all for the statement he's trying to make, but it could be done in a much better way. His well rehearsed rambling of applicable cases in law and counter queries most definitely give the impression that he's trolling for such confrontations, even if that's not really the case. His message is noble, his delivery is juvenile.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    There are some folks aching to get busted here. Cut it out, or you'll be sent to "Time Out". I am not in the mood to babysit. There are plenty of folks here that want to participate in a meaningful and thoughtful fashion, so if we can proceed that would just be peachy.
    Oh my! Rock and Glock is such a brute! (just kidding here)
    BTW, You REALLY need to make your way to the Store, as it's been

BTW this happened in Portland Maine. I also agree with Whoppo's Post before me.
    I know a lot of people who OC in Maine, we see them at the Store, and they're pretty mellow folk.
    This video seems to take to path of somebody attempting to break a few eggs, by video and audio recording. (just MY opinion here)
    If you are ever in Portland Maine, there is a HUGE Tourist presence there. Seems to me some nimrod may have called it in, and the PD was responding to that call. Either that, or the person who posted the encounter on youtube, had every intent of making a scene. Very of us carry a video recorder around as we're just walking down the street, unless it's a cellphone camera/recorder, and we know what's to unfold and we hit the "record button" on it.
    If it were me, I would have shown the Officer my ID and CC License and would have been on my way in a flash. No need to brinf in a couple of officers to argue about it. Just my Opinion and mine alone and thank you in advance for not flaming me as I respect all your views and opinions.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thumbs up Wish KTP Was Close

I missed the store (KTP) last time - I'll be back! Next time I'll plan better and we can meet if you have time! Love to see you! My son had his Parisian In-Laws in the store a couple of weeks ago - they were floored by the gun display! Imagine a couple of "Frenchies" starring at your racks of guns from wall to wall. It was a hysterical sight from what my son said!

If it were me, I would have shown the Officer my ID and CC License and would have been on my way in a flash. No need to brinf in a couple of officers to argue about it.
    That makes a lot of sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Personally, I think the police officer handled the situation very well, and the individual with the gun was just looking for a confrontation so he could portray himself as a hero on youtube. If you're a cop, a MWAG call is no laughing matter, and disarming a subject until you know exactly who you are dealing with can mean the difference between life and death. Walk around most locations in this great country with an openly-carried sidearm on your hip, and you're going to attract attention. If that's what you want, more power to you. I'd rather folks not know that I'm carrying a loaded handgun — if for no other reason that it allows me to retain the element of surprise. That said, I, too, carry openly every evening when I take my walk around the neighborhood. Much more comfortable, more accessible, and my neighbors all know I own guns, so nobody bats an eye. It's a friendly, peaceful neighborhood, but there are a several pit bulls in the area, and they can run much more quickly than can I.
    Big Ray
    Gotta agree with you. I have nothing against those whom open carry, I have even done it a couple times myself, but.. I dont like it. I prefer to blend with the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Oh my! Rock and Glock is such a brute! (just kidding here)
    BTW, You REALLY need to make your way to the Store, as it's been

BTW this happened in Portland Maine. I also agree with Whoppo's Post before me.
    I know a lot of people who OC in Maine, we see them at the Store, and they're pretty mellow folk.
    This video seems to take to path of somebody attempting to break a few eggs, by video and audio recording. (just MY opinion here)
    If you are ever in Portland Maine, there is a HUGE Tourist presence there. Seems to me some nimrod may have called it in, and the PD was responding to that call. Either that, or the person who posted the encounter on youtube, had every intent of making a scene. Very of us carry a video recorder around as we're just walking down the street, unless it's a cellphone camera/recorder, and we know what's to unfold and we hit the "record button" on it.
    If it were me, I would have shown the Officer my ID and CC License and would have been on my way in a flash. No need to brinf in a couple of officers to argue about it. Just my Opinion and mine alone and thank you in advance for not flaming me as I respect all your views and opinions.
    How do you know for sure?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Links