police stop man for open carrying (vid)

This is a discussion on police stop man for open carrying (vid) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DPro.40 I agree. This is why I don't open carry. Someone called the police. They were doing what police do. Just show ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 201
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: police stop man for open carrying (vid)

  1. #106
    P95
    P95 is offline
    Ex Member Array P95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    I agree. This is why I don't open carry. Someone called the police. They were doing what police do. Just show your ID and move on. What do you have to prove. He was being treated with respect and sould have responded in like. If they would have kept his weapon then that's a different issue. They didn't. Just like poking a sleeping bear.
    +100 nicely said.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #107
    Senior Member Array Cokeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    958
    "The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments. "
    George Washington


    "The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. "
    George Washington
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

  4. #108
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,828
    Quote Originally Posted by BWillis57 View Post
    If you disagree with the police, the time and place to do it is not in the street, but the courtroom. If you feel so traumatized by being asked for your ID, smile give it to him, and then call your attorney. If he trampled on your rights, then uphold them in court don't try to make an example on the street.
    That's right... be a good subject, make it easy for those in authority to infringe on your rights, and do it with a smile on your face... (sarcasm off)

    I am entitled to my rights, including my freedom of speech. This guy was not disrespectful, and he asserted his rights well. If the police didn't like it, that is too bad. They get paid to enforce laws, not what they want the law to be, and if they overstep their bounds, they can and should be told that they are doing so....
    W9HDG, Smitty901 and FTG-05 like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

  5. #109
    Senior Member Array DPro.40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    No snarky tone here....just curious about the following:

    Would you consent to the officer's requres if the officer stopped you because he saw you print, or because someone called the officer when that someone saw you print?

    Or...would you consent to a DUI test if an officer stopped you without RAS? The officer just wants to make sure you're not drunk, and the only reason the officer stopped you is because he received a call that you were "driving a car." Nothing in the call indicated you were driving under the influence or breaking any laws. The officer states that once he receives a call that you are driving, he needs to "check it out." Public safety. Can't have people driving 3,000 pound vehicles down the road while intoxicated.

    The situations are the same.
    Yea, I guess if I printed I would cooperate for reasons that I must have printed for the officer to approach me and if not drinking then ive nothing to worry about. I agree with the stops as i dont want a drunk driver killing my family. What are the stats for drunk drivers. I dont know but i do know alcohol and a vehicle are the equasion. Tell you a true story that humanizes the LEO for me, as well as having numerous LEO friends. I was pulled over as I just happen to end up with the short end of the straw as I was moving in a group of other cars. I haven't had my CCW long and I was carrying. I didn't know what to do. I knew I was lawful but it was new to me...what do I do. When asked for my license, I decided to give him my CCW permit too. Thats all. I didnt display. He looked at it and then replied, are you armed now and I replied yes. He asked me where it was and in told him SOB. He then replied, I'll be right back. Five minutes later he came back and told me to slow down. He then said thanks for thinking of me and my safety by letting me know you were carrying, go home and be safe. Bam! No ticket. With that i drove off feeling i had done the right thing. Not every interaction with LEO's needs to be a confrontation and they are people that just want to go home at the end of their shift. Open carrying or CCW for me is not having to prove a point. I don't expect the public to assume I'm not a criminal or mentally ill. They don't know me. While I get po'd at having to apply for a permit to carry as I feel it's my God given right to protect myself and family, it is the rules I've been dealt with. I understand there are a lot of over zealous officers on the street and they don't all know the laws. This cop didnt seem to be one of those. When you get a guy like this just simply changeling the system, it creates more misunderstanding and fear in the community, something we need to show is only a fear and not founded. If you want to change the perception then don't be as ass. Act like an ass, get treated like an ass. It was a good chance if he would have cooperated he would have made his point and moved on too. I'm not saying he was legally wrong, I just question why does there have to be a point to prove. Yes open carry is legal in Missouri but you don't see it here. The public just doesnt understand it. Now in Wyoming i open carried with out problem. Why, because its a publicly accepted there. If you did and went into third district in St Louis, the cops will probably kick the crap out of you then ask questions. What does that prove? That i Bleed with the best but Im right or, I can CCW and mind my own business. Which sounds smarter to you.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

  6. #110
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,828
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Yea, I guess if I printed I would cooperate for reasons that I must have printed for the officer to approach me and if not drinking then ive nothing to worry about. I agree with the stops as i dont want a drunk driver killing my family. What are the stats for drunk drivers. I dont know but i do know alcohol and a vehicle are the equasion. Tell you a true story that humanizes the LEO for me, as well as having numerous LEO friends. I was pulled over as I just happen to end up with the short end of the straw as I was moving in a group of other cars. I haven't had my CCW long and I was carrying. I didn't know what to do. I knew I was lawful but it was new to me...what do I do. When asked for my license, I decided to give him my CCW permit too. Thats all. I didnt display. He looked at it and then replied, are you armed now and I replied yes. He asked me where it was and in told him SOB. He then replied, I'll be right back. Five minutes later he came back and told me to slow down. He then said thanks for thinking of me and my safety by letting me know you were carrying, go home and be safe. Bam! No ticket. With that i drove off feeling i had done the right thing. Not every interaction with LEO's needs to be a confrontation and they are people that just want to go home at the end of their shift. Open carrying or CCW for me is not having to prove a point. I don't expect the public to assume I'm not a criminal or mentally ill. They don't know me. While I get po'd at having to apply for a permit to carry as I feel it's my God given right to protect myself and family, it is the rules I've been dealt with. I understand there are a lot of over zealous officers on the street and they don't all know the laws. This cop didnt seem to be one of those. When you get a guy like this just simply changeling the system, it creates more misunderstanding and fear in the community, something we need to show is only a fear and not founded. If you want to change the perception then don't be as ass. Act like an ass, get treated like an ass. It was a good chance if he would have cooperated he would have made his point and moved on too. I'm not saying he was legally wrong, I just question why does there have to be a point to prove. Yes open carry is legal in Missouri but you don't see it here. The public just doesnt understand it. Now in Wyoming i open carried with out problem. Why, because its a publicly accepted there. If you did and went into third district in St Louis, the cops will probably kick the crap out of you then ask questions. What does that prove? That i Bleed with the best but Im right or, I can CCW and mind my own business. Which sounds smarter to you.
    Why do you think it is publicly accepted in Wyoming? My guess would be because people are used to seeing it. How do people get used to seeing it unless gun owners do it?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

  7. #111
    Member Array BWillis57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    For all of you that think the guy was out of line by the way he relied on his rights when stopped for open carry, do you also think he would have been out of line if had acted the same way if he was carry concealed?

    The issue of consent and RAS is independent of the carry method. The same MWAG call could happen if he printed. Would you all feel it's justified to be detained, your weapon seized, and your background checked just because you printed when you bent over to pick up a gardening magazine in your local Barnes & Nobel?

    Don't get hung up on OC v. CC. Once there is knowlege of the weapon, the situation is the same, regardless of carry method. Think about it.
    Yes, I do think it would be justified, if not more so, since carrying concealed isn't legal without a permit, making it more likely that someone could be breaking the law.

  8. #112
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    3,420
    +1 Bady. Also, in MO local cities/towns can and have passed no OC laws so it can get very confusing about where you can and can't OC - not worth going to jail just b/c you crossed some line that only exists on a map.

  9. #113
    Member Array BWillis57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    61
    I assume you haven't heard of "implied consent" before. Try refusing the DUI test and see what happens...

  10. #114
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Yea, I guess if I printed I would cooperate for reasons that I must have printed for the officer to approach me and if not drinking then ive nothing to worry about. I agree with the stops as i dont want a drunk driver killing my family. What are the stats for drunk drivers. I dont know but i do know alcohol and a vehicle are the equasion. Tell you a true story that humanizes the LEO for me, as well as having numerous LEO friends. I was pulled over as I just happen to end up with the short end of the straw as I was moving in a group of other cars. I haven't had my CCW long and I was carrying. I didn't know what to do. I knew I was lawful but it was new to me...what do I do. When asked for my license, I decided to give him my CCW permit too. Thats all. I didnt display. He looked at it and then replied, are you armed now and I replied yes. He asked me where it was and in told him SOB. He then replied, I'll be right back. Five minutes later he came back and told me to slow down. He then said thanks for thinking of me and my safety by letting me know you were carrying, go home and be safe. Bam! No ticket. With that i drove off feeling i had done the right thing. Not every interaction with LEO's needs to be a confrontation and they are people that just want to go home at the end of their shift. Open carrying or CCW for me is not having to prove a point. I don't expect the public to assume I'm not a criminal or mentally ill. They don't know me. While I get po'd at having to apply for a permit to carry as I feel it's my God given right to protect myself and family, it is the rules I've been dealt with. I understand there are a lot of over zealous officers on the street and they don't all know the laws. This cop didnt seem to be one of those. When you get a guy like this just simply changeling the system, it creates more misunderstanding and fear in the community, something we need to show is only a fear and not founded. If you want to change the perception then don't be as ass. Act like an ass, get treated like an ass. It was a good chance if he would have cooperated he would have made his point and moved on too. I'm not saying he was legally wrong, I just question why does there have to be a point to prove. Yes open carry is legal in Missouri but you don't see it here. The public just doesnt understand it. Now in Wyoming i open carried with out problem. Why, because its a publicly accepted there. If you did and went into third district in St Louis, the cops will probably kick the crap out of you then ask questions. What does that prove? That i Bleed with the best but Im right or, I can CCW and mind my own business. Which sounds smarter to you.
    I understand your point, and that sometimes it's just easier to show the license and answer a few questions and you will be on your way. And we all make compromises, so I am not being self-righteous when it comes to carry issues.

    For example, every time I've been stopped by the police for a traffic violation, I've talked to them, which means I'm flushing my 5th amendment right down the toilet (oddly enough I've not received a ticket for over 25 years, even though I've been stopped perhaps a dozen times).

    Each time I've been stopped, however, there's been RAS - the police saw me violate a traffic law. I think why most people feel strongly about this particular issue is the detainment without RAS, which is different from decided whether or not to rely on your rights when you are being lawfully detained (such as in the case of a traffic stop).

    Bottom line with me is I can see both sides, but I tend to lean towards pointing out to the officer, in a respectful manner, that the detainment may be unlawful.

    ** Side note - It took me a sec to understand the alternative meaning of SOB....for a sec I though your story was going south real fast!

  11. #115
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,828
    Quote Originally Posted by BWillis57 View Post
    I assume you haven't heard of "implied consent" before. Try refusing the DUI test and see what happens...
    Actually, there are instances where you can legally refuse a DUI test. In those instances the only thing that should happen is me being on my way...
    Last edited by Badey; July 7th, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: add content
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

  12. #116
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I think the Patriot Act has it's place.
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I already knew what you thought about the Patriot Act.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  13. #117
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    Hoe many times have you heard of anyone carrying a car into a school and killing students? your analogy are silly at best.
    A school is not a car-free zone...
    atctimmy and DefConGun like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  14. #118
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by BWillis57 View Post
    If you disagree with the police, the time and place to do it is not in the street, but the courtroom. If you feel so traumatized by being asked for your ID, smile give it to him, and then call your attorney. If he trampled on your rights, then uphold them in court don't try to make an example on the street.
    Ah, the school of "I have unlimited funds I can waste on litigating my rights". Glad you are rich, many here are not and we should not have to take it in the shorts because we don't have thousands of $$$ to waste getting our public servants to do their dang jobs.
    atctimmy, DefConGun and FTG-05 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  15. #119
    Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by BWillis57 View Post
    If you disagree with the police, the time and place to do it is not in the street, but the courtroom. If you feel so traumatized by being asked for your ID, smile give it to him, and then call your attorney. If he trampled on your rights, then uphold them in court don't try to make an example on the street.
    Sorry but that is about the lamest excuse a cop can use.

    You suggest that I give up my rights to a guy getting paid to abuse his authority, then pay an attorney to go to court so the cop can make more money, then when it is proven he is wrong the tax payers pay the money. Zero penalty to the cop for being wrong.

    I have a much better idea for you. I think that qualified immunity needs to go away so when this stuff happens the cop that abuses his authority will be spending his children's college fund as a form of learning a lesson.

    A recent case in my area with the same situation, cost the tax payers of the city money to pay the OCer, unfortunately the cop learned nothing and will continue to cost the city money.

  16. #120
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    It completely amazes me that people think it's OK for the police to keep doing the same thing over and over. The guy in the video was arrested once (charges dropped) and stopped three or four more times by the same police department FOR NOT BREAKING THE LAW.

    All you "just let the police check you" are either crazy or you're not being truthful with yourself. By my fifth stop FOR NOT BREAKING THE LAW I would be seriously angry. I wouldn't sound half as nice or as friendly as the kid in the video.

    The second part of this is that when there is a call then there is a report. You give your ID and then your name goes in a report (Yeah, yeah. Call it by whatever name you want....call log, record of conversation...whatever). Your name goes into a database. Then that database get's searched if you ever have a real contact with police, like after a SD shooting.

    That's when the fun really starts. "OK Mr. atctimmy, you said you had to shoot this here BG but it says in my records you've been stopped 5 times for suspicious behavior involving a gun and arrested once. I don't think you're telling us the whole truth".......

    And so you go right down the railroad. Sure you will probably be found not guilty but you had to spend the 100K that was going to put your kids through college.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

cops stopping people who are opening carrying a weapon
,

guy carrying a gun makes the cops look like fools

,
guy with gun owns cops
,
open carry in mi youtube
,
open carry in the usa youtube
,

open carry law suits

,
open carry police harassment videos
,

open carry police stops

,
open carry police stops videos
,
open carry stops
,
video of man carrying gun ,make police look like fool
,
what should i do if i come in contact with police if i am carrying openly
Click on a term to search for related topics.