My thoughts on interaction with LEO in a MWAG call

This is a discussion on My thoughts on interaction with LEO in a MWAG call within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Whats the difference with that and sitting in his car watching for speeders? More importantly, in my opinion, what the taxpayer ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: My thoughts on interaction with LEO in a MWAG call

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Whats the difference with that and sitting in his car watching for speeders? More importantly, in my opinion, what the taxpayer thinks an officer should be doing is less important than what the law allows him to do. Should the Government stop everyone of a certain race just because the people in that area want them to? Or, should they act under the restrictions of the law?
    The law allows him to sit and watch, no quesiton about that. Sitting and watching for speeders he is not held out of service (unles he asks to held out on a detail) and is considered available to be dispatched on other calls if he is needed. Until he clears the call he is on he will not be recommended for dispatch on other calls meaning longer response times in that area for calls and longer emergency responses for other units causing an increased risk to other officers and the community.
    As far as stopping everyone of a certain race, no they shouldn't and I don't recall anyone ever saying they should.

What does the law say about it?
    For me its not about how best to protect an individual person. Its not about how to best catch a criminal in an isolated case. Its not about making life easier for the Government.
    Its about the law. The Government cannot be allowed to break the law to enforce another law.

Michael
    The law says he can stop me. But it doesn't say he has to stop me. What would you want him to do?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    RAS and PC are usually not policy issues. My expectations are they can decide what to respond to and what not to respond to, depending on the level of crime, calls, etc. I'm not the chief, and I don't know what how far the department resources are stretched, etc. Should they respond, I expect them to act within the confines of the law. Don't detain me/seize property unless they have RAS or PC. They can observe me and ask a few questions, and I'll probably answer some of them.
    The policy part is regarding if the MWAG call would even be dispatched. Of course I was in the People's Republic of Maryland so anything with a weapon got dispatched. People would call about stuff they didn't like that was not a crime. One week we would tell them that it was not a police matter and we would not dispatch. The next week for the exact same thing we would send them a car and the officer would tell them it is not a police matter. The week after that we would not dispatch but we would transfer their call or give them the number to the county agency that dealt with that issue.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The law allows him to sit and watch, no quesiton about that. Sitting and watching for speeders he is not held out of service (unles he asks to held out on a detail) and is considered available to be dispatched on other calls if he is needed. Until he clears the call he is on he will not be recommended for dispatch on other calls meaning longer response times in that area for calls and longer emergency responses for other units causing an increased risk to other officers and the community.
    As far as stopping everyone of a certain race, no they shouldn't and I don't recall anyone ever saying they should.

The law says he can stop me. But it doesn't say he has to stop me. What would you want him to do?
    I have been on ride alongs where callers have asked that certain people be stopped to find out what they are doing "on my street". In the cases where I was present we showed up and made contact. Asked if everything was okay. Told them to have a good night and we went on our way. There was no detainment so we could look for evidence of some wrongdoing on their part.
    If the law says he can stop you then if he has a reason he should. However if that law does not allow him to detain you and demand you cooperate with his investigation you should be allowed to end the stop and be on your way.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The policy part is regarding if the MWAG call would even be dispatched. Of course I was in the People's Republic of Maryland so anything with a weapon got dispatched. People would call about stuff they didn't like that was not a crime. One week we would tell them that it was not a police matter and we would not dispatch. The next week for the exact same thing we would send them a car and the officer would tell them it is not a police matter. The week after that we would not dispatch but we would transfer their call or give them the number to the county agency that dealt with that issue.
    Most of us have worked for someone where poor management was an issue we had to deal with. I feel your pain as Bill Clinton, Americas first black president, was so fond of saying.

Michael

What bothers me is when the LEO does know the Law to the letter and goes against it anyway.
    I would have no issue with a LEO walking up to me and saying hey some scared citizen just called about you having a gun I know your within your rights I just need to put in an appearance.
    Have a nice day. My response would be thank you office and if I can make your job easier just tell me what you need.
    That is not how these go. In Milwaukee the Police chief has instructed the officers to knock you to the ground and Take your gun and not return it until ordered by a court to do so.
    THE Chief of police again say I am the law and will do as I please.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    What bothers me is when the LEO does know the Law to the letter and goes against it anyway.
    I would have no issue with a LEO walking up to me and saying hey some scared citizen just called about you having a gun I know your within your rights I just need to put in an appearance.
    Have a nice day. My response would be thank you office and if I can make your job easier just tell me what you need.
    That is not how these go. In Milwaukee the Police chief has instructed the officers to knock you to the ground and Take your gun and not return it until ordered by a court to do so.
    THE Chief of police again say I am the law and will do as I please.
    If the officer knowingly violates the law he should be fired. Simple.

Michael
    mcp1810 likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links