Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts!

This is a discussion on Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh my fault, I thought it was Birmingham and Troy Alabama......Dang yankees copying our city names. Plus I would be surprised if the BPD (Alabama) ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts!

Senior Moderator
    Oh my fault, I thought it was Birmingham and Troy Alabama......Dang yankees copying our city names. Plus I would be surprised if the BPD (Alabama) don't know our carry laws.
    detindebt and TN_Mike like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We didn't know all the facts, but from what we did know it appeared the prosecution's case rested on a sandy foundation.

And apparently the jury, once presented with the relevant facts, agreed.

(Where are all those posters who said he was guilty of something?.....<cricket chirp> <cricket chip>)
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It's already bankrupt, until Stockton Cali went belly up last month it was the largest municipal bankruptcy in US history
    Couple things.. this happened in Birmingham Michigan, not Alabama.. And secondly, the city of Birmingham is NOT bankrupt. It is Jefferson COUNTY, that filed bankruptcy protection, not the city.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Hopefully it was a learning experience for everyone and can serve as a reminder that just because some actions aren't very common, doesn't mean they're illegal. Although if you don't use it, you lose it. California OC for a good example. If a lot of people did it when it was legal there wouldn't have been such an outcry from those virgin eyes.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Another example of where the citizen is expected to know every nuance of the law, yet those enforcing it are allowed to wing it and enforce their suppositions. This needs to stop.
    Thank you. That is almost exactly what I said in another forum. And if the citizen usually ends up missing work and paying legal fees when they did nothing illegal. Great justice and legal system we have here.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    After resting her case, Mary Kucharek, attorney for the City of Birmingham, argued against Makowski’s direct verdict motion.

“Hindering or opposing can be reached by an action or inaction,” she said. “The hindering is (the inability of police) to complete their investigation and determine whether a crime was being committed.”
    Despite there being no legal requirement to show ID in Michigan. IOW, it's not the accused's hindrance, as claimed. Rather, it's the People of the state of Michigan who've presented the "hindrance." Irrelevant, though, as he did show ID and it showed 18yrs of age.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    The key portion of the brandishing charge is that Combs was carrying the rifle “ostentatiously,” Kucharek said.

“[B]What was ostentatious about ... placing (the rifle) on his back and walking down the street?" Barron asked.
    Nothing at all.

Kudos to the jury for being able to see the truth of what strongly appeared to be nonsensical and insupportable accusations.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glad things worked out for this young man. The jury made the correct decision.
    TN_Mike likes this.

This kid is and will always be, a tool. He did it for attention. He got the attention, didnt he. I think Im going to go for a walk, Ill strap on my .50 cal and see what kind of reaction I can get.....
    MotorCityGun and detindebt like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This kid is and will always be, a tool. He did it for attention. He got the attention, didnt he. I think Im going to go for a walk, Ill strap on my .50 cal and see what kind of reaction I can get.....
    Do you believe that the Government should be able to arrest or otherwise harass a person when they have broken no laws?

Michael
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I read the story. I found it absurd. Especially this part:

So. If that is true, then why did they still arrest him after he showed the officers his ID to prove he was 18?
    He refused to show ID according to the other posts on it, if he had we probably wouldn't even know that this happened.

Harry, that is the whole issue. Being a tool, a jerk, attention getter, what have you is o reason for LE harrassment and to get arrested. It happens all too often. We agree on many things but this one we are apart on.

If we were to arrest folks for doing stupid things with their rights millions would be arrested or harassed after they have voted! You just can't see the damage they until some bozo gets elected.
    sgb, TN_Mike and ccw9mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
    He refused to show ID according to the other posts on it, if he had we probably wouldn't even know that this happened.
    Thats one way to look at it I suppose. Some would say that if the Government had not broken the law by arresting him on false charges we wouldn't even know that it happened.

Michael
    suntzu and sgb like this.

So, you know Mr. Combs pretty well eh? You know his personality, likes, dislikes, talk to him on the regular?

No?

I think you are just an anti claiming to be pro 2A, just like most Concealed Carriers are. You all use the same rhetoric, same excuses.

Mr. Combs broke no laws, he shouldn't have been harrassed.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Mr. Combs broke no laws, he shouldn't have been harrassed.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Good for him! Just like the guy in GA...I hope he sues for millions. When the heck will LEO's (sorry, but they are the ones doing the arresting) ever learn that it is a right to carry and bear arms and being a jerk is not enough to keep arresting and harrassing folks. Yes, I said jerk because most of the time they ar....but many times they are not. I am quite sick of this and quite sick and tired of folks that suppose to support the 2nd A on this forum put in caveats all the time that one should be smarter if the OC. They can do what ever they want as long as it is legal.

Good for the kid.
    I agree that's it's good for the kid that he won the case and agree on all points but one... "I hope he sues for millions". On what grounds would you sue? What are the damages? Rodney King sued because he got the crap beat out of him. He had real damage. This kid should be rewarded money because why? Because he's angry? I do believe he should be rewarded for court costs and some inconvenience but not 'millions' in tax payer dollars...no way.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links