Defensive Carry banner

Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts!

9K views 107 replies 40 participants last post by  Smitty901 
#1 ·
#75 ·
I should be surprised this thread has not been closed yet but I'm not. I'm afraid to comment for fear of reprisal. Carry on!

#76 ·
Its only words and an exchange of ideals. I would be very surprised if any of the members that disagree with me, would want harm to come my way. Just because we disagree on this subject doesnt mean anything in the overall picture.

#83 ·
Of course not. Not what I meant
Sorry bout that.....

You very well may be correct. Yet upholding the right to do stupid things is something I think is worth fighting for.
The bold we agree. With all eyes on SYG laws, I do not feel we need this type of negative exposure to our gun rights....

#84 ·
Sorry bout that.....

The bold we agree. With all eyes on SYG laws, I do not feel we need this type of negative exposure to our gun rights....
Why no concern about the negative exposure to the Government when they are caught making up charges and making false arrests? Why do we worry more about a person who has broken no laws making us look bad than we do government workers who by their actions make the government look corrupt and abusive?

Michael

#92 ·
I open carry. I have also criticized those who bait cops. I also criticize CCers with CC badges (Mall Ninjas) and the like. I completely support their right to do it though. Our opinions on OC vs CC seem so one sided. Can we agree if I left my house in a tactical vest with an AR 15 extra mags, glock strapped in a tactical thigh holster, knife, tac lite, and black duty pants, I would be within my right to do so in some states.

Would I like a goof? Yes!

Would I be inciting panic? Yes!

Am I hurting our cause for securing our 2A rights? Yes!

Will I likely have an encounter with LE? Yes!

Will I be made fun of by other CCers and OCers? Yes

Are we wrong for criticizing these guys? Nope!

There is such thing as common sense. Although it is my right to carry all of the above, I will not.

#100 ·
Yup!

I just got back from a picnic in a park that the local authorities were leading folk to think was posted. This was after we threw down the gantlet.

Over 100 folk there, most armed, the majority OCing.

The press (TV and paper) were there. The LEOs drove by. Nothing happened -- except that the local citizens got information that it was legal to carry OC or CC in the park.

That is really the whole point.:danceban:

For more back ground see thread at: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...h-oh-yes-we-can-picnic-roanoke-county-va.html

I will update that thread more info as I see the press reaction.

#98 ·
Since there its no question that the tool has the legal right to carry a rifle, this really its more of a first amendment issue than second amendment. So if our tool had been treated the same way for wearing an offensive t-shirt would we still be having this discussion? I forget which opinion it was but SCOTUS plainly said the first amendment is not here protect popular speech. It is the unpopular speech that needs protection. Yes I call him a tool. But tools have rights too.

#99 ·
Read these before posting in this thread again.

Open carry is a controversial subject, particularly when those that do OC do so specifically to garner attention to the practice. While we still discourage arguments over this topic, we will no longer offer "protection" for those who's practices invoke controversy. We now all stand on even ground but we will not hesitate to issue infractions for those that cross the line in comments and rebuttals.
While our policy has been changed and we now encourage the posting of threads regarding open carry, we will continue enforcing our rules regarding civility within the forum. This forum will not allow the endless debate of "us vs them". We are all gun owners that believe in the right to carry, either openly or concealed and it's time that we start understanding that we are all on the same side. We are all responsible gun owners that follow the law whether we agree with them or not.
If you have come to this sub-forum to whine and fuss against OC just leave now, or you'll be having a private chat with me.

#101 ·
For me it is not about open carry. The whole issue for me is did the government overstep its legal authority. Nothing else matter to me. I don't care if the kid was legally carrying a firearm or wearing a white strapless wedding dress while moonwalking. If there is no law prohibiting it the Government should butt out.

Michael

#105 ·
I'm not big on lawsuits, but this is a case where I hope they get nailed for huge damages. If it were just some ignorant (of the laws) cops, it would be one thing - but the fact that this made it all the way to the point that 6 jurors were in a position to decide this kid's fate is inexcusable.

Somehow a clear message has to be sent to everyone involved. Money talks.

#107 ·
He didnt break any laws I understand that. I even posted the update when he was brought to trial. Personally, I didnt think the city had anything that could stick. However, this isnt the country, its a burb of detroit, People get really nerved up about RIFLES slung across someones back. Good, bad or indifferent, this kid was a tool.
I disagree. This is the country. The United States of America. The Constitution and Bill of Rights speak with the same authority in a burb of Detroit as they do in the boondocks. Those documents do not seek your approval or mine. Or the approval of courts and politicians. They stand on their own. They are not about stupidity, tools, or the opinions of men. They are about the right to live our lives free of the tyranny of government. They are about the freedom to choose how to live our lives as we see fit - and not according to the opinions of our neighbors. And they certainly care less about antsy people who are uncomfortable with the very freedoms they grant.

Old Ben Franklin spoke of those antsy "nerved up" folks: They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.