Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts!

This is a discussion on Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If he looked under aged I see nothing wrong with the police asking for his ID. However, once he showed his permit they should have ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 108
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts!

  1. #31
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    If he looked under aged I see nothing wrong with the police asking for his ID. However, once he showed his permit they should have said "have a nice day" and walked away.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,834
    [QUOTE=Sig35seven;2317304]I agree that's it's good for the kid that he won the case and agree on all points but one... "I hope he sues for millions". On what grounds would you sue? What are the damages? Rodney King sued because he got the crap beat out of him. He had real damage. This kid should be rewarded money because why? Because he's angry? I do believe he should be rewarded for court costs and some inconvenience but not 'millions' in tax payer dollars...no way.[/QUOTE
    Why? So when he banckrupts the city maybe it will send a message to other cities and government officials to leave folks a lone if they are not breaking the law...just like the guy in GA. Both should not have been arrested. I am sick of this.
    TN_Mike likes this.

  4. #33
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    [QUOTE=suntzu;2317318]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I agree that's it's good for the kid that he won the case and agree on all points but one... "I hope he sues for millions". On what grounds would you sue? What are the damages? Rodney King sued because he got the crap beat out of him. He had real damage. This kid should be rewarded money because why? Because he's angry? I do believe he should be rewarded for court costs and some inconvenience but not 'millions' in tax payer dollars...no way.[/QUOTE
    Why? So when he banckrupts the city maybe it will send a message to other cities and government officials to leave folks a lone if they are not breaking the law...just like the guy in GA. Both should not have been arrested. I am sick of this.
    I agree with you and think it's wrong the way the police acted. Why not punish the officers that did it? Lay them off without pay OR fire them for civil rights violation. But suing/punishing the town will teach those guys nothing. There should be some sort of direct consequence for inappropriate behavior in this case. Give the kid millions??? No way.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I agree that's it's good for the kid that he won the case and agree on all points but one... "I hope he sues for millions". On what grounds would you sue? What are the damages? Rodney King sued because he got the crap beat out of him. He had real damage. This kid should be rewarded money because why? Because he's angry? I do believe he should be rewarded for court costs and some inconvenience but not 'millions' in tax payer dollars...no way.
    Understand your point but what other ways are there to make it clear to the Government that they should not do something? If there is no penalty when they break the law what would be the incentive for them not to do it again?
    Personally If I was the one who was wrongly arrested an tried I would accept the person who wronged me being fired as a remedy. That will never happen with Government. What other way are there to ensure they cease their unlawful ways?

    Michael
    TN_Mike likes this.

  6. #35
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,662
    [QUOTE=Sig35seven;2317341]
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

    I agree with you and think it's wrong the way the police acted. Why not punish the officers that did it? Lay them off without pay OR fire them for civil rights violation. But suing/punishing the town will teach those guys nothing. There should be some sort of direct consequence for inappropriate behavior in this case. Give the kid millions??? No way.
    Well a damages award in the millions is unlikely (if it isn't then I chose the wrong area of law in which to practice!). But holding the municipality responsible is an incentive for the municipality to properly train the officers. Happened down here in GA in a particular county. If you just fire the officers hire replacements, they will have the same lack of training on the same issue. Problem not solved.
    oneshot likes this.

  7. #36
    Senior Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It's already bankrupt, until Stockton Cali went belly up last month it was the largest municipal bankruptcy in US history
    Technical correction: The city of Birmingham, AL is not bankrupt, it is Jefferson County. Birmingham is in Jefferson County. And yes, it was the largest county/municipal bankruptcy, I wasn't aware that it had been surpassed. A classic case of financing with exotic and complicated debt instruments that no one in a decision making capacity fully understood, with no appreciation for the accompanying interest rate risk that no prudent and intelligent person with a modicum of understanding of finance would ever accept, accompanied by corruption.

    I see where someone has already corrected the state.
    NRA Life Member

  8. #37
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Thank you. That is almost exactly what I said in another forum. And if the citizen usually ends up missing work and paying legal fees when they did nothing illegal. Great justice and legal system we have here.

    ^^^YEP^^^^^^



    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I agree that's it's good for the kid that he won the case and agree on all points but one... "I hope he sues for millions". On what grounds would you sue? What are the damages? Rodney King sued because he got the crap beat out of him. He had real damage. This kid should be rewarded money because why? Because he's angry? I do believe he should be rewarded for court costs and some inconvenience but not 'millions' in tax payer dollars...no way.

    ^^^YEP^^^^^^^

    He should get All fees incurred covered and $100,000 on top of that .

    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Another example of where the citizen is expected to know every nuance of the law, yet those enforcing it are allowed to wing it and enforce their suppositions. This needs to stop.


    Sent via mental telepathy



    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^




    The police in these states where OC is legal need to get it hammered in to them that arresting someone for NOT breaking any laws is poor PR and it needs to stop
    .
    To their defense, more often than not, these edicts come from the higher ups in the locales where the incidents arise, as a means to denigrate and demonize firearms, to create a social enigma that cast them in an ugly light, so the masses will embrace an eventually demand governments confiscate them, much like how they dealt with tobacco use.

    Get enough people against something, so we can eradicate, or tax the daylights out of a particular activity.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,285
    The damages should come directly out of the DA's,chief of Police and the LEO's pocket.
    They knew they were in the wrong. But like what happens so many times they did not care it tax payer money and time and they were going to push their politics regardless of the law.
    Just like the Milwaukee Chief of police that made it clear he will take anyone anytime open carrying to the ground and take their gun. And if the suspect you may be CC they may grab you too.
    Examples of why it is so hard to respect and form of LE today.
    TN_Mike likes this.

  10. #39
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    [QUOTE=PEF;2317354]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

    Well a damages award in the millions is unlikely (if it isn't then I chose the wrong area of law in which to practice!). But holding the municipality responsible is an incentive for the municipality to properly train the officers. Happened down here in GA in a particular county. If you just fire the officers hire replacements, they will have the same lack of training on the same issue. Problem not solved.
    It is possible the municipality did train them properly and they simply disregarded the training, maybe they got ticked off for whatever reason and took the law into their own hands. It;s just too easy to blame the government and give the kid a pile of cash. That, IMO does absolutely nothing to solve the problem.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  11. #40
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

    It is possible the municipality did train them properly and they simply disregarded the training, maybe they got ticked off for whatever reason and took the law into their own hands. It;s just too easy to blame the government and give the kid a pile of cash. That, IMO does absolutely nothing to solve the problem.
    It's possible the LEO's could be held personally responsible. This doesn't sound like one of those cases, though. Turn it on it's head - how many LEO's would stay with their current job if they were not shielded by their employer? Probably not many. Basic premise is the employer, whether public or private, is in the best position to make a change if needed....

    The young man won't get a pile of cash. Yeah, he was arrested, and that's a big deal, but this was not a mult-tasing, OC spraying, baton beatdown.

  12. #41
    Ex Member Array ANGLICO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Posts
    3,570
    Awesome! Law suit to follow! And I am not one to advocate a Law Suit, however, this needs to be rammed down the DA's and Local PD/Sheriff's throats!

    On another note: Sean Combs......arrested..... I wish it had been that skelator looking guy who is a Progressive Talk Radio host on FOX.
    suntzu and TN_Mike like this.

  13. #42
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,952
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    It's possible the LEO's could be held personally responsible. This doesn't sound like one of those cases, though. Turn it on it's head - how many LEO's would stay with their current job if they were not shielded by their employer? Probably not many. Basic premise is the employer, whether public or private, is in the best position to make a change if needed....

    The young man won't get a pile of cash. Yeah, he was arrested, and that's a big deal, but this was not a mult-tasing, OC spraying, baton beatdown.

    And part of the problem is that the shield is frequently part of their union contract. I knew some cops that my old department tried to fire more than once before they were able to get rid of them. If you want to see changes happen subpoena their personnel records. If there is a history of discipline issues, spread that negligent retention issue out. Hold their union liable as well.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  14. #43
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,069
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Do you believe that the Government should be able to arrest or otherwise harass a person when they have broken no laws?

    Michael
    Do you believe you should carry a rifle around on your back for self defense. Speaking of which, can anyone give me a valid reason for carrying a rifle for self defense while in a urban environment.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  15. #44
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Do you believe you should carry a rifle around on your back for self defense. Speaking of which, can anyone give me a valid reason for carrying a rifle for self defense while in a urban environment.
    Because they are not old enough to buy a pistol.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  16. #45
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,475
    He wasn't caring it for self defense he was carrying it becasue he was legally allowed too.

    You can argue why should you carry a pistol for self defense when you can call 911 on your cell phone or have pepper spray or a police whistle etc...
    TN_Mike likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

arrested carrying gun birminghan

,
birmingham boy walks with a-1 rifle
,

birmingham kid carries rifle court trial

,

birmingham kid rifle

,

birmingham kid with gun

,

birmingham kid with rifle

,

birmingham open carry

,

birmingham rifle kid

,

sean combs birmingham

,

strapless handgun carry

,
wealthy man acquitted forum
,
what happened to the kid in birmingham mi that carried a rifle in town
Click on a term to search for related topics.