Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts!

This is a discussion on Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Daily Tribune - Not guilty verdict for Troy teen who carried gun through Birmingham (with video) Sean Combs was arrested for OCing a loaded ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Kid in Birmingham OCing Rifle - Not Guilty on All Counts!

The Daily Tribune - Not guilty verdict for Troy teen who carried gun through Birmingham (with video)

Sean Combs was arrested for OCing a loaded rifle in downtown Birmingham (there is a thread on this story when he was arrested). His trial ended today with him being found not guilty on all charges.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Moderator
    I have stated before that while Open carry is legal in Alabama, but if you choose to do so you will most likely wind up on the ground with a Glock Q-Tip. You will most likely win in court but you will have to pay the price until then.
    Yankeejib likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

So the kid made his point loud and clear.

I personally prefer to make a much more subtle point and do so much more quietly.

This is why you read posts written *by* me, rather than threads written *about* me.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I have stated before that while Open carry is legal in Alabama, but if you choose to do so you will most likely wind up on the ground with a Glock Q-Tip. You will most likely win in court but you will have to pay the price until then.
    Wow! Lots of Alabama open carriers would probably disagree with that statement. I trust that you will be attending the Alabama Gun Rights Statewide Event. Alabama Gun Rights Statewide Event. | Facebook

So now the shoe is on the other foot and their needs to be a suite against Birmingham for this incident. Just as should be in Alabama if it should happen.

I read the story. I found it absurd. Especially this part:
    Three officers testified, and all said Combs was stopped because he appeared to be too young to carry the rifle. State law says those carrying rifles must be 18 years old, but Combs appeared to the officers who testified as only 16. “I had no problem with him having the gun,” Birmingham Police Officer Rebecca Springer testified. “If he looked 32 (years old) he would have enjoyed the night.”
    So. If that is true, then why did they still arrest him after he showed the officers his ID to prove he was 18?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I read the story. I found it absurd. Especially this part:

So. If that is true, then why did they still arrest him after he showed the officers his ID to prove he was 18?
    Because they didn't know the law until after they arrested him. They came up with that after the fact. Seriously what crime would you arrest somebody for if they were carrying a weapon in the open but you weren't sure what exact law it breaks? Brandishing.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Wow! Lots of Alabama open carriers would probably disagree with that statement. I trust that you will be attending the Alabama Gun Rights Statewide Event. Alabama Gun Rights Statewide Event. | Facebook

So now the shoe is on the other foot and their needs to be a suite against Birmingham for this incident. Just as should be in Alabama if it should happen.
    Oddly, it wasn't Alabama OCer's making the arrest. It was Alabama LE. Having the "right" to do something doesn't make it smart.

sgb
    All as it should be, now it's time to cause Birmingham PD some heartburn
    nedrgr21, jrclen, TN_Mike and 1 others like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I am glad that this kid was willing to stand up for his right and in doing so the rights of all others in that State.

This case hit home with me because as a youngster I also carried a rifle or shotgun slung over my shoulder or in my hand when walking through town on the way to the river for a bit of hunting or plinking. We were not trying to make a point or bait any policemen. We were just going out to do some shooting. We would also ride two up on our motorcycles strapped down with firearms on more distant trips down the highway when we got older.

If by chance that someone in my State is arrested I hope for my sake and others that it will go to court. That seems to be the only way sometimes to make the Government obey the laws.

Michael
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Oddly, it wasn't Alabama OCer's making the arrest. It was Alabama LE. Having the "right" to do something doesn't make it smart.
    But it should protect you from false arrest by government agencies.

Michael
    rolyat63 and TN_Mike like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    All as it should be, now it's time to bankrupt the Birmingham PD pension fund.
    It's already bankrupt, until Stockton Cali went belly up last month it was the largest municipal bankruptcy in US history
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    But it should protect you from false arrest by government agencies.

Michael
    It does but you have to go to court first

Good for him! Just like the guy in GA...I hope he sues for millions. When the heck will LEO's (sorry, but they are the ones doing the arresting) ever learn that it is a right to carry and bear arms and being a jerk is not enough to keep arresting and harrassing folks. Yes, I said jerk because most of the time they ar....but many times they are not. I am quite sick of this and quite sick and tired of folks that suppose to support the 2nd A on this forum put in caveats all the time that one should be smarter if the OC. They can do what ever they want as long as it is legal.

Good for the kid.

FYI, the city they are referring to is Birmingham, MI which is a pretty wealthy city in metro-Detroit and is far from bankrupt.
    Hopyard and TN_Mike like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johns381 View Post
    Because they didn't know the law until after they arrested him. They came up with that after the fact.
    Another example of where the citizen is expected to know every nuance of the law, yet those enforcing it are allowed to wing it and enforce their suppositions. This needs to stop.

Sent via mental telepathy
    suntzu, tubadude, CIBMike and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links