Carrying and riding my motorcycle

This is a discussion on Carrying and riding my motorcycle within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have carried my 1911 in a Serpa on ocassion when riding. As of late I usually have my Ruger New Vaquero Stainless in a fast ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Carrying and riding my motorcycle

Have carried my 1911 in a Serpa on ocassion when riding. As of late I usually have my Ruger New Vaquero Stainless in a fast draw rig with the hammer leather tightened up. I would also be wearing my Cowboy Fast Draw outfit. Sometimes with my "Duster" tail trailing in the wind. Still, as Aborigine mentioned "...invisible..." even at traffic stop lights.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yup, "the dreaded left". Some idiots have it perfected to where it's almost a head-on. Quick throttle response has saved me as much as good braking.
    The last time it happened to me it was also raining. I knew I was goose if I just tried to stop in time so the first thing I did was aim left, toward the rear of the POS's car. Then I braked until I locked up on the wet road, which didn't take long. So I let off the brakes and just coasted in a straight line (the only option), which thanks to my earlier adjustment in direction allowed me to just miss the rear bumper of the car of a POS I'd have beaten to a greasy pulp is given the chance.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I wear a protective mesh armor jacket, and my IWB conceals just fine under that. So I never give it another thought. But AZ is fine for OC, so if it prints or flashes then no big deal.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I wear a protective mesh armor jacket, and my IWB conceals just fine under that. So I never give it another thought. But AZ is fine for OC, so if it prints or flashes then no big deal.
    How does that thing feel when it's 115 deg? Of course you Arid-zoners have it easy compared to us. Try 105 Deg and 90% humidity! We had that all last week. The Canucks finally sent us a cold front so it's down to the upper 90's now.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    How does that thing feel when it's 115 deg? Of course you Arid-zoners have it easy compared to us. Try 105 Deg and 90% humidity! We had that all last week. The Canucks finally sent us a cold front so it's down to the upper 90's now.

I wear Rocket's "Alter ego" gear. For hot weather the jacket strips down to mesh below the shoulders. In 100+ weather I find it controls dehydration far better than riding in a t shirt, for long hot trips it is the way to go. I have ridden multiple days at 118 in the South West, and lived. Those arab nomads were onto something. I also wear the matching pants, they won't support IWB carry. Next jacket will have a mesh holster sewn inside, but no matter how you do it the idea of "concealed" means not flashing your weapon when pulling off gear at stops for food, gas, etc. I can do a shoulder rig, but it doesn't do you much good if it has to be under a shirt inside a jacket.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yup, "the dreaded left". Some idiots have it perfected to where it's almost a head-on. Quick throttle response has saved me as much as good braking.
    Ummm, I ride a Harley. Whats this quick throttle response you speak of? Is it really quick or is it just a relative term. Like saying a turtle is quicker than a slug?

Michael

I just finished a week in Utah where I opened carried alot because of the heat. I also do it here as long as I am not in Denver. Last year I went to Va. I opened carried in a lot of states crossing the country. Only one MWG call in Kanasas.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I just finished a week in Utah where I opened carried alot because of the heat. I also do it here as long as I am not in Denver. Last year I went to Va. I opened carried in a lot of states crossing the country. Only one MWG call in Kanasas.
    I ride a lot in Kansas. Care to tell us how that went?

Michael

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    If you all don't mind, I'd like to take this thread in a slightly different tangent?

Whether you OC or CC, can you riders tell me how you plan to use your sidearm WHILE riding, in the unfortunate event that it is necessary?

If you don't plan or need to use it while riding, then what is your alternate plan?

What I'm getting at is for those of us who ride, our hands are tied up operating the bike, therefore, it is highly unlikely that you will have the opportunity to clear leather/aim/shoot/reholster even if it was necessary AND still maintain operational control of your scooter.

Are there any experienced cycle-LEO who ride/rode as part of your job? If so, how were you trained in such matters?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I carry concealed IWB ... no problem with any gun I might carry. I also carry in a vest with an inside pocket area specifically made for a gun (j-frame or Kahr CW9 in that case). If this open carry in Wichita becomes legal, I may also open carry at times.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Right off hand I can not think of any occasion where I would use my firearm while riding. I would probably use my riding ability as a way to hopefully escape instead. Would there be a case where a firearm would be a first choice over escape while riding?

Michael
    carracer and Ogre like this.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Right off hand I can not think of any occasion where I would use my firearm while riding. I would probably use my riding ability as a way to hopefully escape instead. Would there be a case where a firearm would be a first choice over escape while riding?

Michael
    My immediate thought/guess would be someone who is using their vehicle to intentionally take you out while you're on your scooter.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    If you all don't mind, I'd like to take this thread in a slightly different tangent?

Whether you OC or CC, can you riders tell me how you plan to use your sidearm WHILE riding, in the unfortunate event that it is necessary?

If you don't plan or need to use it while riding, then what is your alternate plan?

What I'm getting at is for those of us who ride, our hands are tied up operating the bike, therefore, it is highly unlikely that you will have the opportunity to clear leather/aim/shoot/reholster even if it was necessary AND still maintain operational control of your scooter.

Are there any experienced cycle-LEO who ride/rode as part of your job? If so, how were you trained in such matters?
    Dogs. That is my number one concern. However personally I don't body carry on a bike. I use the tank bag for 2 reasons. One, i wear leather gloves while riding. The second in the event of a crash landing on a handgun could cause me a lot of damage.

While I have friends that are Motor Officers I never wanted to ride a bike on the job.
    My plan is around my gear. I wear riding jeans (draggin Jeans) that are Kevlar lined. My boots are tall, near cowboy boot height. A dog should not bite through that. My fear is the dog trying to pull you from the bike or get under a wheel and cause a crash. I have OC clipped to the outside of the tank bag so off with a glove and OC spray away.

Sent using 2 cans and string

I carry IWB as I usually do everywhere else when I'm out on my bike. I did notice that a crotch rocket requires my shirt to be tucked in or else it becomes open carry, although I don't ride one of those regularly. I do have one in the garage that I've been meaning to sell.

IF someone were trying to take out your "cage" while carrying would it not be simpler just to disengage and flee. I think the same would apply to riding, even more so. Only if backed into a corner would defense by firearm become necessary. Of course, in a cage you have some concealement and cover available if you can position yourself. You would need to find that in the local environment if you dismount your ride.

I think shootouts while riding or driving only apply to movies and the occassional gang activity.
    mlr1m likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links