Carrying and riding my motorcycle - Page 3

Carrying and riding my motorcycle

This is a discussion on Carrying and riding my motorcycle within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I take it from some of your responses; besides carrying it to get to your next destination (which, btw, is why I carry whenever ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Carrying and riding my motorcycle

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    So, I take it from some of your responses; besides carrying it to get to your next destination (which, btw, is why I carry whenever I'm riding), not a lot of you have considered the (extremely low) possibility of having to defend yourselves by using your sidearm while driving a motorbike.

I'm definitely not into Hollywood shootouts while moving on a bike or in a car either. And oh, gangs around these parts never do their drive-bys from a scooter...it's always from a 4 wheel vehicle.
    carracer and SuperRuger101 like this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I have not read the previous posts but I will say this that carrying on a bike in the wrong place will hurt you when you dump and not do the gun any good. Fellow brothers have had pockets sewn in to their vests to handle guns. Right side for a left handed pull so throttle hand is free

I found these see if you like them

June Softly Biker Books #2.jpg June Softly Biker Books.jpg

then there is always Texas softly biker books #3.jpg
    Ransom and SuperRuger101 like this.

I've seen those before barstoolguru One question I have sort of steering the thread a bit, but what happens if you have that setup, park and then you have to go inside or leave the bike. No huge, four paragraph answers here and maybe it's even a stupid question, but what happens legally in Minnesota (for the OP) during the transition between bike to holster on his person? I'm sure you don't want to just leave it strapped on the bike when you go in to grab a bite to eat or whatever. So legally, the transition where you have to unholster from the bike and secure it to yourself, is it legal or does one just "make it quick?" If people get the MWAG calls on them for just having it and not even handling it, I'm sure if someone has to pull it out to put on their belt, they may stand even more of a chance and the person calling can say.....nevermind, you get the point. But for the OP, just wondering, good or bad to handle in public? Hope I'm not threading needles too much here but I feel it's a legit question that may help out if the OP goes that route. Maybe you can find a law on that for your state OP?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Those are just examples but they look like the holster comes off the mount. In an open carry state does the gun always need to be holstered? I know of no law that says you can’t transfer a gun from on holster to another.
    These are just an example I am sure you can make something that works for you and your ride. Like I mention before just be careful where you carry it. when carrying around the waist can be very painfull in a dump

My ccw instructor at class was telling us M/C riders of a situation he had. We don't have open carry so it has to be concealed. he was coming up on a light when all of a sudden his gun comes loose and hits the ground, needless to say after the gun slid some 100+ft and tumbled a couple of times. He stopped the bike and traffic to retrieve the gun and after a bunch of people stopped and looked at him he went on his way. When he got home and inspected the gun it was trashed (kimber) $900.00 all because of the way he carried it... lesson learned

I always wear an armored jacket when riding. In summer I wear a mesh armored jacket--it's actually cooler than riding in a t-shirt and safer of course. It's easy to pocket carry in the jacket and when I take the jacket off, there is no risk of exposure. I keep the pocket zipped so it can't fall out, but it's still fairly easy to access--zip and draw. It's also easy to discreetly put my hand on the gun while still in the pocket.

In a fall, I know there is some possibility of the gun injuring me, but I'd rather have the gun with me if I become separated from my bike (same goes for my cell phone). If a BG is the reason I'm off my bike, I'd want my gun in my pocket, not still on the bike. I had a biker friend run down by a road rager in a pickup truck--a lot to learn from that situation.

Carrying in the tank bag (or tail pack) is favored by some I know, but I don't like the options when it comes time to leave the bike unattended in public--I'd either have to remove the gun from the tank bag, which might be observed by others, or I'd have to leave the gun on the bike and a tank bag is not secure enough for that. If I really wanted to keep it in the tank bag, I think I'd put it in my CC fanny pack and put that in the tank bag, but if I needed the gun in a hurry, it would be hard to access.

Good discussion.

Mir wife and I were having breakfast at a restaurant. Went to the rest room. When I came back and sat down I saw two cruisers out the window. They came in and asked if I had a gun. I didn't have time to answer when he saw my magazines. Asked if I had a permit Showed same. Told him I needed to eat because my sugar was low. Wished each other a nice day. Owner and server came over and apoligised. Told me they did not call. It was a customer. I guess said costumer was disappointed I did not get hauled off.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Right off hand I can not think of any occasion where I would use my firearm while riding. I would probably use my riding ability as a way to hopefully escape instead. Would there be a case where a firearm would be a first choice over escape while riding?

Michael
    If I'm on the bike and the engine is running, escape is always the first choice. However, I carry when I ride for the gas station stops. There have been two occasions just in the last two years where I was very glad I was carrying. I always ride alone, and tend to ride in remote places, so where I stop for gas is also off the beaten path. One occasion was where the dirtbag started out by asking me questions about my bike as an interview process, I'll spare details but it wasn't until he figured that I was probably carrying that he backed off. The other was a couple crack-heads that looked like they were planning on pinning me & the bike up against the pump with their truck, until they realized that I was getting ready to ventilate their windshield.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    If I'm on the bike and the engine is running, escape is always the first choice. However, I carry when I ride for the gas station stops. There have been two occasions just in the last two years where I was very glad I was carrying. I always ride alone, and tend to ride in remote places, so where I stop for gas is also off the beaten path. One occasion was where the dirtbag started out by asking me questions about my bike as an interview process, I'll spare details but it wasn't until he figured that I was probably carrying that he backed off. The other was a couple crack-heads that looked like they were planning on pinning me & the bike up against the pump with their truck, until they realized that I was getting ready to ventilate their windshield.
    Agreed, the idea of using the firearm while stopped is a given. I took the OP's question about using one while actually riding on the road.

Michael

I have a riders backrest so I don't have to worry about t shirt blowing up. Just carry IWB like always. I put some thought into the chance of the gun causing an injury in an accident and decided maybe it would. But there are a lot of things that could cause an injury in a motorcycle wreck so I just don't worry about landing on the gun,
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    My immediate thought/guess would be someone who is using their vehicle to intentionally take you out while you're on your scooter.
    You need a faster bike.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    You need a faster bike.
    I gotta' a pretty fast (800 lb) scooter, but (one of) the last things I want to do while riding is attempt to getaway from someone who may have ill intent and is willing to use his vehicle in a deadly manner. Faster bike or not, high speed chases from someone trying to knock you over with their vehicle is something I'd like to avoid all together.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Agreed, the idea of using the firearm while stopped is a given. I took the OP's question about using one while actually riding on the road.

Michael
    It wasn't the OP who brought this up, it was me taking this thread on a tangential journey.

NRA Life

When I went down the worse thing that hurt me besides broken bones was my comb. That thing did a hurting on my butt.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Question carry handgun in soft-side motorcycle luggage

I want to verify what a gun store owner told me about carrying a handgun on my motorcycle with soft-side luggage.

He told me that I could use a soft pistol case with a lock attached and the gun unloaded. The clips could be in the same soft-side luggage. He also mentioned the possibility of a sewed-in holster inside the soft-side luggage rather then a pistol case. FYI: I live in CA for what it matters.

Is this information accurate?

Thanks.

On the3 bikes IWB or under left arm shoulder carry depending on the weapon.
    When I must secure it on the bike I have a nano with cable in tour pack. When I open it the cable can stay with the bike so the Nano can go with me if I need it.
    Nothing can stop a thief forever but it is secure enough for the times it must be used.
    sid1 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links