Carrying and riding my motorcycle

This is a discussion on Carrying and riding my motorcycle within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 On the3 bikes IWB or under left arm shoulder carry depending on the weapon. When I must secure it on the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Carrying and riding my motorcycle

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    On the3 bikes IWB or under left arm shoulder carry depending on the weapon.
    When I must secure it on the bike I have a nano with cable in tour pack. When I open it the cable can stay with the bike so the Nano can go with me if I need it.
    Nothing can stop a thief forever but it is secure enough for the times it must be used.
    Smitty did you drill a hole though your tour pack and run your cable tour pack frame?
    I need to mount one but it's going in my saddlebag and since I removed the chome bag rails I will need to drill one in the bottom and use the only rail under the bag.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Smitty did you drill a hole though your tour pack and run your cable tour pack frame?
    I need to mount one but it's going in my saddlebag and since I removed the chome bag rails I will need to drill one in the bottom and use the only rail under the bag.
    Yes I have the cable attached to the mounting frame and the end with the lug in it for the Nano stays in the tour pack. No reason you could not do the same thing in the saddle bag.
    Just make sure you pick one that fits your carry, first one fit my LCP prefect to prefect the Sr9c would not fit.
    Comes in handy when not used for weapon I use it for cash in motel room or on the bike works well for me.
    sid1 likes this.

I mostly pocket carry my LCP when riding because it's small and unnoticeable when spending long hours in the saddle especially on multi-state trips. I don't consider it something to be used while on the bike more of a precaution when stopped getting gas or what not on the bike its not really practical to try to draw from the pocket unless stopped but that's not why I have it. The most important defensive tools while riding are your motorcycles ability to accelerate and maneuver. I do ride quite a bit by myself so having the LCP in my tool kit is a comforting addition. When riding in groups I still carry it but don't think a group of 8 or 10 "bikers" makes for an inviting target for most folks with bad intentions.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

I am new to the CCW world, but not to riding my Harley: I cannot imagine a situation where I would be able to 1) stop the bike and remove my protective gloves 2) unzip my jacket 3) finally, access my CC auto. The circumstances would have to be very unique indeed, but I still CC when riding; especially AFTER I stop and dismount the bike (Harley).

I do have a magnetic tank bag, but I'm afraid it's not well-suited to carry with.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRuger101 View Post
    I am new to the CCW world, but not to riding my Harley: I cannot imagine a situation where I would be able to 1) stop the bike and remove my protective gloves 2) unzip my jacket 3) finally, access my CC auto. The circumstances would have to be very unique indeed, but I still CC when riding; especially AFTER I stop and dismount the bike (Harley).

I do have a magnetic tank bag, but I'm afraid it's not well-suited to carry with.

Thoughts?
    Welcome to the forum and CC from a fellow motorcyclist. I carry on my BMW but like you, it is hard to imagine getting the gun out quickly in an emergency while riding. The most likely scenario I can think of would be a road rage incident where I'm being chased by a cage, but then I would rely on my bike's superior acceleration and maneuverability to escape rather than an armed confrontation. I always keep my gun on my person, not the bike, so that if I get separated from my bike, I'll still have access to it. Same goes for my cell phone. And as you said, having the gun after you stop is the important thing. Ride safe, ride often!
    SuperRuger101 and Arborigine like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    The only time I need to secure the weapon on the bike is when going into the Sheriff's office etc. Here in California we can at least still ignore gun-buster signs. I will probably never get into a situation on the bike where the pistol is more usefull than the throttle or brakes, most of my bikes are fast and nimble. When I get off the bike the gloves are the first thing to come off.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I also deep carry my SR40c while on the FLHX.

I open carry all the time on my bike. southeast ga.

As do I in Brunswick just north of you...what kind of bike do you ride?
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I don't OC, but carry IWB all the time when riding. I had a minor crash last year and was separated from the bike. Wound up being loaded in the ambulance and checked out by a nice EMT lady while a deputy (a friend) asked me questions about the accident. He left and then she found my revolver in my waist. She just about freaked and had the deputy come back in (we were still at the scene) and he secured it. He gave it to a mutual friend at the scene who has a CCW permit who returned it to me later. With everything going on, I had totally forgotten about my weapon. I apologized to the EMT who said she didn't like surprises.

I'd prefer the weapon to stay on me rather than go sliding down the road.

I also cabled a gun safe to my bike. Only use it when I go to work as weapons are not permitted. Cabled though my leather rear carry and to the bike frame.

My leather jacket has a pistol pocket that is really well done. I generally carry using this method while riding.

I just started carrying a few weeks ago. I will try to open carry and see how that goes, but I always wear a jacket when I ride, so I imagine it will be a challenge with my winter gear.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links