Public gatherings of open carriers. - Page 2

Public gatherings of open carriers.

This is a discussion on Public gatherings of open carriers. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaveH Also, we have a number of folk who do volunteer public service OCing. Trash pick-up OCing is a good -- particularly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Public gatherings of open carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Also, we have a number of folk who do volunteer public service OCing. Trash pick-up OCing is a good -- particularly if you have a nice "Courtesy of" sign .
    In VA, I wonder if the state's DOT would accept the VCDL as an official highway cleanup crew. You know, such groups get the pretty little sign designating the next 2mi stretch being cleaned up by whatever group. Do that around the state in every town, and you'd get quite a lot of visibility. Plus, a great opportunity for some highly-visible, decent advertising, with the right sign design.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Biggest thing is insuring good communication of the event with your local LE and News agencies. Be polite, be professional and keep on point.
    Yup. Civility can be fairly compelling. Funny how that works.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Activism? I say go for it. It's going to be a use it or loose it ordeal in the end anyway. Public displays are good IMO....maybe like shock treatment. Something or somebody has to light the fire under those concerned with this country as a whole and freedoms granted. The next generation will give a damn less than this generation if this generation doesn't make a move. They'll figure this wasn't important enough for us to do so why follow through? We've been killing ourselves for decades over this and yet it's still difficult for many to accept it now when it's bestowed. Just a small clue about government thinking.........they wanted it....asked for it....got it....and did nothing. Therefore we shall take away. The Russians were terrified of Rambo and they were simply movies. How about the UN fearing Oklahoma instead of the United States as a force to be reckoned with? Time to support your team...or go underground in secrecy and cover your own assets. Public gatherings of the righteous give notice to those who would do evil. It's time to take back the streets of America when some law enforcement is either on the take or hands tied due to budget cuts. (makes the news every day now). Who's going to police America in the future? You and me....might as well make your presence known now. May be the last chance to increase our forces.
    TN_Mike and Ghost1958 like this.

This Saturday the 21st in Northport, Alabama we're having Alabama's state wide Open Carry Meeting. Check out ALOC.info or Alabama open carry on facebook. I will try to post a bunch of photos.
    TN_Mike, baren and gatorbait51 like this.

OC meet ups are good for the movement. I think we should have more of them. The more the jumpy little sheep like Hoplaphobes out there see that a gun is just a tool and just because someone is wearing one openly and doesn't have the magical badge upon their chest, doesn't make them a bad guy or an evil person. Openly carried side arms were at one time the norm in this country. Sadly that isn't the case now and leek where this country is now. And yes, I do believe that there is a correlation between the two.
    DaveH, Badey, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I support the right to OC and would prefer not to have legislation restricting it but I am not a proponent of the behavior in public.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I support the right to OC and would prefer not to have legislation restricting it but I am not a proponent of the behavior in public.
    Why not? Its not the OCies faults if the sheep get offended. Now to the OP. Hear in NC we have an OC dinner every 1st Fri of the month at a BBQ place. The owner has always thanked us for our business and says we are welcome anytime. The good thing about it is I have had a chance to educate a young boy about the 2A because he asked me if we were LEO. His parents and him sat right next to us, and the boy kept turning around and looking at me then asked the question. That was worth every minute to me, and nobody ever ran for the door or made any negative comments.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    If we hide our heads in the sand and do not show others that may not ever be exposed to guns, then we are not supporting our beliefs.

Most people, such as those in places like NYC only see guns on police officers or on the news when guns have been used for bad. Places where mass shootings have taken place have been generally not pro gun areas.

Should one see a family eating in a restaurant having a family meal and maybe one or both parents are openly carrying, it will give a positive message about firearms.

We cannot get the media to print the actual firearm facts. Gun owners have to present a positive image for good press. We do not need the image some have recently made news doing. Yet a good image will bring good results.

I cannot count the times someone walked up to me in a store, restaurant or such to ask about guns, gun laws, permits and such. They would not have done so had I been carrying concealed. People are reluctant to ask police officers and many LEO does not know firearms or gun laws that well either. I know many that the only time they fire a sidearm is in the line of work. Our good press will come from good images that we leave with people.

We have several groups of guys in Louisiana that are members of LOCAL. They meet monthly at various restaurants for socializing. One meeting I attended had a couple (man & lady) come over and introduce themselves. They joined the group after talking to us.
    Last edited by oldman45; July 15th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    What happened, you couldn't find a currently running thread to comment on a behavior you don't agree with so you had to dig up a 2 year old thread?

You must have A LOT of free time on your hands.
    Qtip, gatorbait51, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    What happened, you couldn't find a currently running thread to comment on a behavior you don't agree with so you had to dig up a 2 year old thread?

You must have A LOT of free time on your hands.
    I wasnt looking for old threads to revive I was searching for a thread about "Waffles" but for whatever reason, I guess I found this one and didnt realize it was 2 years old. If I had, I would not have commented. As far as commenting in threads where I have an opposing position.. [sure], I do that. I cant really offer too much toward content and fruitful debate if I agree 100% with the subject matter. Differing ideas is what makes a discussion forum interesting and generally speaking we can typically learn something from honest debate. To the time I have on my hands... yeah, I guess I do have more than most if I am on a gunboard trying to find a comment about a brand of waffle mix I saw mentioned. Its what happens when one finally makes it to retirement. best to all
    CIBMike and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    I wasnt looking for old threads to revive I was searching for a thread about "Waffles" but for whatever reason, I guess I found this one and didnt realize it was 2 years old. If I had, I would not have commented. As far as commenting in threads where I have an opposing position.. [sure], I do that. I cant really offer too much toward content and fruitful debate if I agree 100% with the subject matter. Differing ideas is what makes a discussion forum interesting and generally speaking we can typically learn something from honest debate. To the time I have on my hands... yeah, I guess I do have more than most if I am on a gunboard trying to find a comment about a brand of waffle mix I saw mentioned. Its what happens when one finally makes it to retirement. best to all
    Debate is a good thing, IMO. Perhaps you could clarify something for me. You mentioned you support OC, but do not support it as a public behavior. Is that not the exact same thing as someone saying "I support CC, and don't think it should be restricted, but I am not a proponent of the behavior in public"? The latter statement would have pro gunners up in arms in an instant, baying for blood; and rightfully so. So how exactly do you support OC? At home or on your property only? Nights and weekends? I am truly curious...
    ccw9mm likes this.
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Debate is a good thing, IMO. Perhaps you could clarify something for me. You mentioned you support OC, but do not support it as a public behavior. Is that not the exact same thing as someone saying "I support CC, and don't think it should be restricted, but I am not a proponent of the behavior in public"? The latter statement would have pro gunners up in arms in an instant, baying for blood; and rightfully so. So how exactly do you support OC? At home or on your property only? Nights and weekends? I am truly curious...

I support the right to the degree that I do not wish there to be specific laws on the books against it. I support the right and freedom to OC so that a prudent man can avoid any legal entanglements over incidental or accidental exposure of a weapon or if a person finds himself in circumstances where CC simply was not practical. At the same time, if someone were to ask me if I support OC as a routine mode of carry in public... my answer would be no, I do not support or promote that behavior.
    Recon1342 likes this.

One positive thing about an OC rally/gathering. It's a VERY unlikely location that a maniacal, mass-murderer will pick to go out "in his destined blaze of glory". It will be over wayyyy...too quickly.
    Last edited by ghost tracker; July 18th, 2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Recon1342 and Ghost1958 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

We have one every year hete. All it does is scare the hell out of the people. I see no value in rubbing people's faces in it.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    While I agree with the need for public awareness campaigns we must be careful to not associate ourselves with those who only wish to rub someones nose in the fact that we can do something and they can't stop us type actions.
    If a local beach at the ocean has been off-limits to surfers for years, but is now legally deemed an acceptable surfing spot and folks are going to cease being criminalized and cited for surfing there ... one question: how does going there along with other surfers constitute "rubbing folks' noses in it"? Or, kites at the local park, bringing your dog onto the foot bridge over the river, or ...?

Does carrying anywhere, whether to the local shopping mall, a restaurant, a park, or anywhere else, constitute an outright threat in a manner any different than surfing, kiting or walking somewhere biases previously precluded it?

How does one qualify as "shock & awe" but the other does not?

And, at the core, aren't each of these simply instances where the prejudicial have been forced to sit on the back burner and wallow in their biases, while liberty is restored? Why does that have to equate to any exercise of liberty being necessarily taken as rubbing anyone's nose in anything?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    A get together at some underused park ... some rural or semi-rural county road ...
    And why should people be relegated to keeping one foot in the closet, once liberty has been restored? To salve people's spleens over their continued prejudices?

Voice, Recon1342, CIBMike and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When we are all blamed for Sandyhook, MIT, or other mass shootings I feel it is in our best interests to keep a low profile. I will carry my consraled gun into Target but I do understand why shoppers are alarmed when someone is carring what they think is an asult rifle through the isles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links