Public gatherings of open carriers.

This is a discussion on Public gatherings of open carriers. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this on my local State gun forum. It is in response to how some in our State propose to act when the law ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Public gatherings of open carriers.

I posted this on my local State gun forum. It is in response to how some in our State propose to act when the law goes into effect on November first. The State is Oklahoma but it could apply to any State.

Feel free to offer more ideas about meetings, gatherings and how to approach the new law.

After the open carry law passed I started seeing folks on a number of gun forums saying that they would like to organize a public show of numbers in different cities around the State. While I personally do not agree with this approach when used solely to show others that you can do might do more harm than good many others disagree with me. Don't get me wrong. If a government agency in the State makes it clear with either threats or actions then a show of force would be called for. That would be a legitimate and necessary response to an illegal act. That is not what this post is about.

While I agree with the need for public awareness campaigns we must be careful to not associate ourselves with those who only wish to rub someones nose in the fact that we can do something and they can't stop us type actions. As I said earlier I would be against a large group of armed citizens walking in force up and down busy streets for no other reason than because they can. Or to show others that we won.

Instead of the Shock and Awe approach some our side want to use I would like to see a more gradual non threatening approach.

A get together at some underused park to do some trash pickup. Maybe a cookout or picnic when done. I specify an underused park because going to a busy one would scare some of the young children that through no fault of their own are taught that guns are evil and will hurt them. Scaring those you wish to convert is not a good idea.

Pick out some rural or semi-rural county road to pick up trash. One with moderate traffic so that rubberneckers would not create a traffic hazard that might endanger us or other drivers. Also a semi-rural county blacktop would probably carry more folks from that rural background who are more acceptable to seeing firearms. The ones appalled or outraged by them would not be in the huge majority there.

There are plenty more things we can do that would not cause a large outcry from the general public. We can as some believe get up in their face. Or, we can just slowly become the norm. In my opinion this is how to win.

Michael

A group of us are mainly CC carry, and not big promoters of open carry per se, although we think it should be legal.

But, after 40-50 yrs of one city now in the process of passing open carry, we are talking about getting together openly carrying .. just because.... to say more or less 'hoorah, the law got there" . Big deal.

We're not going to hide away in some seldom used park. In fact, we'll probably do it at a restaurant owned by one of the members.

Exposure, is what the public needs. Although I do agree ... parades and one's put together to "demonstrate' and shove it in people's faces don't necessary have a positive affect for anyone's cause.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I've not seen a gathering of OC'er acting in a belligerent manner. Often they just get together to have waffles and talk about guns and other stuff. And part of the reason they do it is because they can - they are pleased that after two decades of promoting both CC and OC both methods are becoming more and more accepted.

To me this is just nexus of first and second amendment rights. And often the people want to do what others do - go to a cookout, meet at a place to get something to eat, etc.

As for people who are afraid of guns - its difficult to enlighten the ignorant of if they are not exposed to the truth, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    A group of us are mainly CC carry, and not big promoters of open carry per se, although we think it should be legal.

But, after 40-50 yrs of one city now in the process of passing open carry, we are talking about getting together openly carrying .. just because.... to say more or less 'hoorah, the law got there" . Big deal.

We're not going to hide away in some seldom used park. In fact, we'll probably do it at a restaurant owned by one of the members.

Exposure, is what the public needs. Although I do agree ... parades and one's put together to "demonstrate' and shove it in people's faces don't necessary have a positive affect for anyone's cause.
    I like the idea of going to a member owned restaurant. Or, even a restaurant that would like to sponsor a gathering. Will add that to the list of things to bring up during discussions.
    Thanks for the idea.

Michael

It's kinda like removing a band-aid fast or slow, there will always be two camps and either way there's gonna be some discomfort - pick your poison.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    It's kinda like removing a band-aid fast or slow, there will always be two camps and either way there's gonna be some discomfort - pick your poison.
    Very true. Just mainly bring it up hoping to hear more ideas I can bring up with the local folks when discussing what if anything to do when the law goes into effect.

Michael
    gatorbait51 likes this.

As for people who are afraid of guns - its difficult to enlighten the ignorant of if they are not exposed to the truth, isn't it?
    Yes, and IMO such "normal" occurrences not being seen allows the smear campaigns to be used to better effect. Seems obvious that comfort level rises the more people see things every day, the more such activities are seen to be little different they what we all do, and that the activities aren't exhibiting threats or threatening behavior toward anyone. It's about as slowly peeling back the "bandage" as I can think of. IMO ... YMMV.
    carracer, Aceoky, CIBMike and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I see nothing wrong with a peaceful gathering of upstanding members of the community doing nothing illegal. I think something like a weekly breakfast or lunch meeting would be a good way to go about things. I do something similar with friends at a local BBQ place every Friday, and we occasionally hang out at diners on Sunday mornings. There have been a few nay-sayers, and most of them have been accepting of it after being educated, but most people leave us alone.
    CLASS3NH, ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.

This was a great scene as far as it was family orientated and the manager stood his ground too. I wish Texas had open carry and when it does and someone has a get together I will be there

CLASS3NH likes this.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    <SNIP>
    A get together at some underused park to do some trash pickup. Maybe a cookout or picnic when done. I specify an underused park because going to a busy one would scare some of the young children that through no fault of their own are taught that guns are evil and will hurt them. Scaring those you wish to convert is not a good idea.

Pick out some rural or semi-rural county road to pick up trash. One with moderate traffic so that rubberneckers would not create a traffic hazard that might endanger us or other drivers. Also a semi-rural county blacktop would probably carry more folks from that rural background who are more acceptable to seeing firearms. The ones appalled or outraged by them would not be in the huge majority there.

Michael
    <SNIP>
    You might be surprised but kids usually like to see OCers.
    "Wow dad look at that cool gun" is what I heard a 5 or 6 year old say yesterday while standing in line at a fast food joint while he was pointing at my OCed pistol. Dad said "yeah son that is cool". Neither ran in fear.
    Kids actually see an OCed gun more then adults in most cases, adults usually have their attention on cell phones and other stuff.

MOC (Michigan Open Carry) has at least 2 adopt a highway sections on I-94 in MI. One on the east side of the state and one on the west side of the state, there might be more but those I know for sure. I-94 is a major interstate expressway comparable to I-35, I-40, I-44 in your area.

Busy places are better for events, because people then see you are normal and not out causing blood to run in the streets.
    Aceoky and RemMod597 like this.

VIP Member
    In-your-face parades and rallies has seemed to work for the tiny minority of GLBT'ers. Oh, but that's a multicultural PC BS thing. Guns are all-american, and that's bad. You have to be very careful in our upside-down Wonderland.

We have a long, weedy row to hoe in gaining acceptance for what used to be the normal. Whether we CC or OC, IMO we need to politely engage everyone we talk to about our personal and collective safety.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

sgb
    Biggest thing is insuring good communication of the event with your local LE and News agencies. Be polite, be professional and keep on point.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I see nothing wrong with a peaceful gathering of upstanding members of the community doing nothing illegal. I think something like a weekly breakfast or lunch meeting would be a good way to go about things. I do something similar with friends at a local BBQ place every Friday, and we occasionally hang out at diners on Sunday mornings. There have been a few nay-sayers, and most of them have been accepting of it after being educated, but most people leave us alone.
    Exactly, and what would be wrong with making sure the proprietor of the meeting place is happy to have your business? Would that not be better than going in unannounced to some unsuspecting establishment loaded down with firearms?

I am perfectly willing to offend someone if that is what it takes to guarantee my rights. I am also smart enough to know that using that option should only be used as a last resort. Why walk in to a place looking like you are taking it over when you can get them to invite you in to take over?

A good example when I am out riding. Fifty bikers in all their Harley paraphernalia can raise the eyebrows of small town cops and the owner and patrons of the local eateries. For some reason folks think we are there to start trouble. Same group of riders let it be know they want to come to town for a meal and a few beers and the town will welcome you with open arms. Hell they will fight over your business.

That is what is in my mind.

Michael
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Biggest thing is insuring good communication of the event with your local LE and News agencies. Be polite, be professional and keep on point.
    Point well said. Glad to see a huge win for the good guys in that video. I'm mainly a CCr, but I have OCd at times.
    That meeting was well organized and polite/ professional manner, and that makes a huge difference in the outcome. Kudos for the manager, who supported the OC patrons.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Check out: July 14th -- “Oh, yes we can!” picnic at a Roanoke County, VA

Also, see the blog coverage by a well known anti-RKBA columnist at: http://tinyurl.com/7423g9o FWIIW, most were OC at this event. VCDL does not take a position on Open vs. Concealed carry -- or even care if guest attend our events w/o carrying. It's your personal call.

Also, we have a number of folk who do volunteer public service OCing. Trash pick-up OCing is a good -- particularly if you have a nice "Courtesy of" sign .
    Aceoky likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links