Idiot OCing... or "How not to do it"

This is a discussion on Idiot OCing... or "How not to do it" within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see OC more often in the city I live in now than any of the places I've lived before. I generally don't OC myself ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Idiot OCing... or "How not to do it"

I see OC more often in the city I live in now than any of the places I've lived before. I generally don't OC myself because I don't have a holster with proper retention. But I'd be nothing compared to this guy...

I really wish I'd thought to sneak a picture, but this guy (short and chubby, wearing a Star Wars t-shirt and track pants) had a Glock in a SmartCarry at 7-11 yesterday. Instead of having it under his clothes like you would expect a SmartCarry, it was wrapped around his waist with the holster below his hip on his right side at 3:00 like some kind of Old West revolver holster. He wasn't even moving fast when he left the store, but that Glock was bouncing around like it wanted to fall out.

Now, I've always maintained that everyone should own and carry a firearm if they're comfortable with it. But I can only imagine the perception that non-gun owner (not even antis) would react to that kind of irresponsible carry, not to mention how easily it might have been slipped out of that holster, I don't think he even noticed me standing in line behind him.

I do have to say that I wasn't practicing the best carry habits myself... this 7-11 is across the street from my house I had my no-retention OWB holster on with a t-shirt over it, the muzzle poking out below my cover shirt, probably printing like a fiend. I still couldn't help but shake my head at this guy demonstrating every single facet of irresponsible carry... does that make me a hypocrite?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

no...at least you recognize problems and I assume you fix them...mr idiot sounds like he is clueless

You're not a hypocrite dude. I can just picture what that imbecile must have looked like. He's the kind that give us responsible CCers a bad name.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

carracer and ericb327 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post

Sorry, don't mean to complain but, not enough butter... Try some of mine.

[IMG][/IMG]
    TN_Mike likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Sorry, don't mean to complain but, not enough butter... Try some of mine.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

He was a straw buyer.

LOL. you should of taken it from him and pistol whipped him with his own gun. just kidding.but for reals thats funny.i open carry OWB all the time and have the correct retention holster. i know my gun isnt going anywhere unless my entire body goes with.some peoples kids.lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I see OC more often in the city I live in now than any of the places I've lived before. I generally don't OC myself because I don't have a holster with proper retention. But I'd be nothing compared to this guy...

I really wish I'd thought to sneak a picture, but this guy (short and chubby, wearing a Star Wars t-shirt and track pants) had a Glock in a SmartCarry at 7-11 yesterday. Instead of having it under his clothes like you would expect a SmartCarry, it was wrapped around his waist with the holster below his hip on his right side at 3:00 like some kind of Old West revolver holster. He wasn't even moving fast when he left the store, but that Glock was bouncing around like it wanted to fall out.

Now, I've always maintained that everyone should own and carry a firearm if they're comfortable with it. But I can only imagine the perception that non-gun owner (not even antis) would react to that kind of irresponsible carry, not to mention how easily it might have been slipped out of that holster, I don't think he even noticed me standing in line behind him.

I do have to say that I wasn't practicing the best carry habits myself... this 7-11 is across the street from my house I had my no-retention OWB holster on with a t-shirt over it, the muzzle poking out below my cover shirt, probably printing like a fiend. I still couldn't help but shake my head at this guy demonstrating every single facet of irresponsible carry... does that make me a hypocrite?

You know, I have never seen something that bad but I think I would have asked him to step aside and talked to him a little. Explained that he was carrying in a very irresponsible manner and maybe try to make him understand what kind of danger he is being to not only himself but to anyone else around him. I am a very big OC proponent. I do dislike seeing someone doing something that is blatantly a safety hazard to themselves and others. He may be a perfectly good guy, he might just need someone to give him a little guidance to help him get going down the right path.

I can imagine you were just about speechless though.
    goldshellback likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I bet he shoots his pistol while holding it sideways.
    ClutchSR9C likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    He could be a nice guy but then he could be a total jerk. If so, approaching him and saying something might jsut start an altercation of sorts. Not good with an armed and obviously clueless person.
    ericb327 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Stand by for the voices braying that it's his right to carry as he chooses and condemning you for wanting OC banned and assuring you that you should turn in your guns since you are so obviously anti 2A.
    Guest1 and tacman605 like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Wait, he thought he was doing it right, he had a "Smart carry" holster...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

We can start open carry November 1 with a permit and I am concerned about what some people are going to do. I was talking to some of the guys at work, and they were showing me there open carry rigs, it's not going to be pretty for a couple of months.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Sounds like a pro-gun WalMart shopper.

I wouldn't say anything, not my business.
    At least when his Glock bounces out and hits the floor, it won't fire.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links