new permit, ONE BIG QUESTION - Page 5

new permit, ONE BIG QUESTION

This is a discussion on new permit, ONE BIG QUESTION within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Florida, if you have a ccw permit, switchblades are legal as are throwing stars, nunchukas or UZI's (assuming you have the proper paperwork for ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: new permit, ONE BIG QUESTION

In Florida, if you have a ccw permit, switchblades are legal as are throwing stars, nunchukas or UZI's (assuming you have the proper paperwork for that). We're not a duty to notify state, last I checked. If a police officer asks you, you must respond but you don't have to give them a "heads up." Anybody else, it's none of their business unless you accidentally flash. That's legal with our new law unless you're someplace where it's not appropriate (i.e. where marked on private property) but it's still not a state crime. At least in Miami. I think county ordinances may vary.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by McKahr View Post
    central? as in Sanford? ;) during our class he had us mark parts of the law we needed to read and then we went over in detail the most important sections... but i think its wrong... we should be able to carry a gun in most all the places u r not allowed... court? now that is an obvious one and doesn't bother me as much when a judge and cop have them... just look at all the violence in courts WITHOUT guns --- i wonder if the lawyers can pack heat...
    NO The lawyers cannot carry! But the LEO's can and do. So can the DA's as an officer of the court (I think!) I know for sure at least one Judge in Miami does because he shoots with my IDPA club. He carries a 1911 under his robes.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I would suggest that you get further instruction locally not only about the laws pertaining to use of deadly force,but also scenarios you may encounter.There is a show on cable called Personal Defense on the Sportsmans channel,they go over a lot of great stuff,but remember one thing before doing any type of drills off a live firing range make sure you unload your gun and store the ammo in another area until your done,or use an airsoft gun to go thru the drills
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    I can't believe I read all of this
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Keep it concealed and be quiet about carrying it.

I regret not asking our concealed license teacher the following:

Can you verbally say u have a gun but still keep it concealed and obey the law (Florida)? Or if someone asks u if u have a gun, can u say u do?

I was wondering if the concealed law is only visual - may seem to be a stupid question but considering how close to "fully automatic" many guns are now or how close to switchblade some knives are with assist i wouldn't be surprised if there is a close call on this count as well...

Anyone? help please, i mean it just might be a GREAT idea to say u have a gun to diffuse a situation instead of having to brandish it and take it out of concealment... maybe george zimmerman could have said this as soon as his nose was punched?
    If in a situation where you feel you must threaten you have a gun and it is not already on target your done for. You do not announce I have a gun , the only time they should know you have one is when you holding them at aby with it or the first round has hit.

I regret not asking our concealed license teacher the following:

Can you verbally say u have a gun but still keep it concealed and obey the law (Florida)? Or if someone asks u if u have a gun, can u say u do?

I was wondering if the concealed law is only visual - may seem to be a stupid question but considering how close to "fully automatic" many guns are now or how close to switchblade some knives are with assist i wouldn't be surprised if there is a close call on this count as well...

Anyone? help please, i mean it just might be a GREAT idea to say u have a gun to diffuse a situation instead of having to brandish it and take it out of concealment... maybe george zimmerman could have said this as soon as his nose was punched?
    That's an interesting question, "McKahr", and I think some of these guys are mixing up advice on what you ought to do with what does or doesn't make concealment. You can say that you "have a gun", and that might be an implied threat, which would be fine, under the circumstances you're getting at, but that doesn't mean it's legally out or opened up either. Indicative talk isn't unconcealing or brandishing. No way. Apples and Oranges.

Look, otherwise I think you have to presume that in dicey circumstances there is going to be some latitude in terms of what you do when you see danger for yourself. If you get the point across to the chump who you're worried about with showing, or hand on it, or just telling, like you mentioned, and it's a strong enough threat, no one is really going to question it. I think you have to believe that other people and cops live in the real world like you do. If it's worse and you're sure you have a real multiple force scenerio or a knife is involved, screw it, pull the thing out. Shooting is up to you at that point. But you instinctively know the differnce there.

D.J.

That would be by state I am sure.
    I know here if you say you have a gun you have a gun and will be charged as having had one.
    Rob someone saying you have a gun and you don't you will be charged as having one.
    I have a gun,I am arm are terms to do not want to be throwing out.
    If you charged or not for saying I have a gun will be up to how the DA sees thing one county jail the next no.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links