Why does it have to be OC Vs. Police?

This is a discussion on Why does it have to be OC Vs. Police? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m And what would I do with the rest of my day? Seriously though. I find the responses to be very interesting. ...

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes

Thread: Why does it have to be OC Vs. Police?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    And what would I do with the rest of my day?
    Seriously though. I find the responses to be very interesting. The ones I disagree with more so than those I am in agreement with. I like and learn from what others think.

Michael
    Well that kind of attitude will not be tolerated, mister. Don't you know how much easier life is when you don't do that and you refuse to listen to anything that doesn't dovetail into your current beliefs? Wake up, man.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I don't understand why this thread made it past Mike's #11 post.
    Because of the 44 posters who contributed beyond the OP, roughly three-fourths of them weighed in agreeing with no need for such situations. That in itself is worthwhile.

To all those who are still curious as to "why", just go back and read post 11. If you still don't get it then you'll never understand.
    I'm hopeful that intelligent communication with the command structure of departments can continue to improve things with respect to heavy-handed procedures, to the point where such confrontations are no longer the standard, instead with them being relegated to the ash-heap of the learning curve.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 28th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Seems Glocknug didn't like the answers he got. Joined the 19th, posted this thread, hasn't posted since the 20th. Just an observation...

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Seems Glocknug didn't like the answers he got. Joined the 19th, posted this thread, hasn't posted since the 20th. Just an observation...
    Who now?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Maybe he is just sitting back and watching the discussion? Nothing wrong with that.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Maybe he is just sitting back and watching the discussion? Nothing wrong with that.

Michael
    Maybe he gave up after post #11.

You guys do know I wasn't really being serious, right? I put in that whole lock it and sticky it thing in there so y'all could tell I wasn't serious. OK, OK, I was half serious.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I have followed this thread! It is not that I didn't like the answers. I actually appreciated the discussion it started. I have learned a lot.

I realize that a lot of OCers have had negative experiences with the Police. I will do my best to keep encounters positive with those that I come into contact with, as I have before.

I understand those that Open Carry Long Guns, or those that Open Carry with recording devices for YouTube are the exception to the norm. I don't believe this action helps Open Carry for everybody else. After reading the responses, I realize that the majority of OCers are not doing this to cause problems and make the videos.

I understand the concerns that many have regarding Police even making contact with people who OC as opposed to just observing from a distance. I understand that legally, Police dont have a duty to respond, as many of you have pointed out. However, most departments frown upon Officers who dont respond to calls they are dispatched to. Although I understand the "just observe from a distance" view, I dont think it is always practical. I will continue to try and start a pleasant conversation and hopefully all parties can seperate without a bad view of the other.

Thank you all for your responses.

Originally Posted by Caertaker

Michael
    [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by glocknug View Post
    I have followed this thread! It is not that I didn't like the answers. I actually appreciated the discussion it started. I have learned a lot.

I realize that a lot of OCers have had negative experiences with the Police. I will do my best to keep encounters positive with those that I come into contact with, as I have before.

I understand those that Open Carry Long Guns, or those that Open Carry with recording devices for YouTube are the exception to the norm. I don't believe this action helps Open Carry for everybody else. After reading the responses, I realize that the majority of OCers are not doing this to cause problems and make the videos.

I understand the concerns that many have regarding Police even making contact with people who OC as opposed to just observing from a distance. I understand that legally, Police dont have a duty to respond, as many of you have pointed out. However, most departments frown upon Officers who dont respond to calls they are dispatched to. Although I understand the "just observe from a distance" view, I dont think it is always practical. I will continue to try and start a pleasant conversation and hopefully all parties can seperate without a bad view of the other.

HA! I nailed it! Am I just awesome or what! Do they give out awesome points here?

Michael
    atctimmy and Maine_Expat like this.

Yep, you get "Awesome Points", Cash them in at the DC Gift Store and Bank

I'm glad Glocknug revisits too.

I also appreciate his choice of words "I realize / will do my best / understand..........." That shows some real understanding. I hope that is reciprocated.

Although I understand the "just observe from a distance" view, I dont think it is always practical.
    Glad to have you back GN.

Some questions ...

In what ways wouldn't it be practical, if speaking of a normal report without essential substance beyond "a person walking that-a-way with a firearm" ?

Part of the learning curve is for department leadership to become educated about the reasonableness of leaving people to live their lives when it's fairly clear they're just going about the perfectly legal, normal and non-threatening living of them. Can you see a way to help push it in this direction, from the inside?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 29th, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelin, grammur
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Glad to have you back GN.

Some questions ...

In what ways wouldn't it be practical, if speaking of a normal report without essential substance beyond "a person walking that-a-way with a firearm" ?

Part of the learning curve is for department leadership to become educated about the reasonableness of leaving people do live their lives when it's fairly clear they're just going about the perfectly legal, normal and non-threatening living of it. Can you see a way to help push it in this direction, from the inside?
    I am glad to see you are still with us as well.

I would like to add to ccw9mm’s questions.

From your perspective what is the best way to de-escalate an encounter with some of the (for lack of a better term) Type-A personality officers without subverting our rights?
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post

From your perspective what is the best way to de-escalate an encounter with some of the (for lack of a better term) Type-A personality officers without subverting our rights?
    I think everyone wishes they had an answer to that.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post

I think the best way is to run up to them like a Frenchie and smooch them on both cheeks. The speaking in a loud, horribly bad French accent say something like "ello Mon Ami. It's so good to see you."
    wmhawth and mlr1m like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The speaking in a loud, horribly bad French accent say something like "ello Mon Ami. It's so good to see you."
    Inspector Clouseau, I presume?

So if you are able to realize and understand that the folks OC'ing long guns and those out to make Youtube video's are the exception...why is it that most people cant understand that the power hungry LEO is also the exception and not the rule?

I also have a question or would like to get some thoughts around the "probable cause" aspect of the discussion. The argument was put forth that simply OC'ing a firearm is not enough to justify a stop. I think we can all agree that while perfectly legal this activity is outside of "the norm". Now, would we all agree that a person drifting within their lane while driving is also outside of "the norm"? There is also nothing illegal about that activity, but I think the % of people who feel that to be a justifiable reason to stop and chat with someone is much higher. I think if we follow the "reasonable person" theory we could all conclude that officers politely chatting with folks in both of the above situations to determine what exactly is going on isn't at all out of line.

I don't know, maybe I am crazy and have no idea what I am talking about. That is also an option.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links