Defensive Carry banner

Why does it have to be OC Vs. Police?

24K views 248 replies 81 participants last post by  Fallschirmjäger 
#1 ·
First off, I want to say that I do not usually open carry, although I am usually armed. I have absolutely NO problem with Open Carry in general, but I am very curious about this. I am also a Police Officer.

Why are there so many OCers that seem like they are just out to give the Police a hard time? I can tell you that nobody I work with is out there trying to "harass" people legally carrying a firearm. In fact, most are all for it. I can also tell you that we HATE being dispatched to calls regarding things that are not illegal, such as a guy openly carrying a holstered firearm, but we still HAVE to go!

Instead of making YouTube Videos and giving the Police a hard time, why can't we work together? The majority of the time I have positive conversations with people who OC, but there are always some who just want to give you a hard time for no reason. I also try to call the complaintants back and I explain to them that nothing illegal or dangerous is occuring.

Don't you think this hurts the rest of us in the long run, in the public eye? I think this is definatly the case when you have people OCing an AK-47, for no reason, just so they get approached by a Police Officer (Almost ALWAYS resonding to citizen complaints!), just to get a YouTube video up.

It doesn't have to be OC Vs. Police...Why cant we just work together?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't OC, but I am on the same page as you here. Your statement "we HATE being dispatched to calls regarding things that are not illegal, such as a guy openly carrying a holstered firearm, but we still HAVE to go!" begs the question... why aren't dispatchers and 911 operators trained to deal with that over the phone rather than sending officers out? It's legal (assuming it IS legal in the place the call comes in from, of course), so why can't the dispatcher explain to the caller that they are reporting a legal activity and avoid the potential confrontation in the first place?

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
PAPERS!!!! You vill show your identity papers!!!!!

If I am driving and get pulled over just for a license check I will be as irritated as if I were stopped while walking down the street and asked for ID. A request for ID MUST be as a result of RAS of a crime (speeding in the case of driving for example) you can not be stopped at random for no reason other than an ID check. ICE can't even do ID checks on obvious illegals why should I have to put up with it?!?!?!

#5 · (Edited)
While you have to respond to a dispatched call do you over step your authority by detaining the individual conducting a lawful activity and demand ID, or do you arrive, observe and clear the complaint as unfounded?

Do you understand your authority isn't absolute and that your authority is restricted by the Constitution and Court rulings? That if you don't overstep yourself that you're not going to make it to youtube?

#13 ·
I am completely aware. I handle all of these calls as a "consensual encounter". If you didnt really want to talk to me, you don't have to. However, this is kind of my point. There are some that don't want to talk, or hear about the 911 call that came in. If so, fine... have a nice day...

But it seems as though some people try to make that 911 call that I a responding to an issue. Why cant we just have a simple conversation? You are not detained, but instead of it being a Police vs. OC situation... why not consent to a short conversation and make sure everything is fine? That way when the next 911 call comes in, if it does, we can simply tell our dispatchers that we already had a conversation with that individual and they are not a threat?

As far as the ID thing goes... I admit, I ask for ID on EVERY call I go to, whether its this or somthing else. It is not disrespectful. If you dont want to show it, ok... this shouldnt be a huge issue. We are just trying to figure out who we are talking to. I have been stopped by the Police in neighboring jurisdictions while out with a pistol. They ask for my ID and I provide it. I explain to them why I had my gun, and they understand! Keep in mind...

The majority of the time, we are NOT coming into contact with citizens following the law. Just like everybody on here who carries, We want to go home to our family at the end of our shift! I hate the us vs. them thing, and I hate that the uniform sometimes puts a target on your back. You have to understand why we are careful! People who carry are doing so to defend themselves against the BG, we are trying to help with that. Why not assist us with this?

A lot of OCers on here have probably had encounters with the Police as I have described. It doesnt have to be a negative thing! We are on the SAME TEAM!

#6 ·
Why are there so many OCers that seem like they are just out to give the Police a hard time?
Sometimes it is not the open carriers giving the hard time. (Note: Sometimes)

#7 ·
Folks, keep it civil in here, and remember this from the Sub-Forum Stickies:

When we originally opened this forum, I added a notation that this was not the place to "debate the virtues of open carry", essentially making it a protected forum. I have, since then, debated whether this was the right thing to do since we did not place any restrictions on other forums.

Open carry is a controversial subject, particularly when those that do OC do so specifically to garner attention to the practice. While we still discourage arguments over this topic, we will no longer offer "protection" for those who's practices invoke controversy. We now all stand on even ground but we will not hesitate to issue infractions for those that cross the line in comments and rebuttals.

If you can accept these changes, we will continue to welcome you to this forum. If not, there is another forum out there that may be more to your liking....
And:

This is, as most of you know, a deviation of our previous policy of discouraging open carry threads. The policy was put in place several years ago when there seemed to be a confrontational tone to many of those threads. Like everything, though, things change in time, including DefensiveCarry.

While our policy has been changed and we now encourage the posting of threads regarding open carry, we will continue enforcing our rules regarding civility within the forum. This forum will not allow the endless debate of "us vs them". We are all gun owners that believe in the right to carry, either openly or concealed and it's time that we start understanding that we are all on the same side. We are all responsible gun owners that follow the law whether we agree with them or not.

In establishing this new forum, I am asking our members to help "self-police" it by using the report feature should you see a thread heating up. If the decision to include open carry in our topics turn into a disaster, this forum will be removed and we will go back to the way things previous to this change.
And please remember we view "Cop-Bashing" in a very dim light.

So....let's keep all of this courteous, civil, and respectful. I for one would like this thread to have a long useful life where we can all learn and further our understanding of this area of the 2A.

And, a big welcome to Glocknug, a new member!

#8 ·
I think there are two issues here. First, you have people that freak out when ever they see someone carrying a gun in public and they call the cops. Two, when the cops show up and find the person with the gun the cops start hassling that person wanting to see id and wanting to know why they have a gun, when its perfectly legal to open carry. This is were it becomes us - the open carrier against them - the cops. Alot of cops just don`t know the laws that there paid to enforce, and this is what causes most of the problems.

This is just my opinion and the way I see it.

I personally conceal carry all the time because its what prefer. But I have no problem with those that open carry.

#9 ·
It doesn't have to be.

I see things as a learning curve here. Both law enforcement and citizens. New laws, difficult to understand laws, rights, authority, responsibility, ignorance, male dominance factors, and humanity are all at play in the big picture. I can see both sides of the coin, and I understand far more than I can put into words.
If we could all work together (or as a team)? Hopefully one of these days very soon. Due to a few rotten apples in each barrel however.....this still remains a hope for the future mainly. Some wish to test authority, some authority seek dominance, and everyone is doing the right thing in their own minds. We should all go back to grade school days. Learn in class, and play nice together on the playground and have fun before we all grow up and farther apart. Nothing is ever easy, and these days less folks seem to be willing to put forth much effort in accomplishing a goal individually or as a team much less care about any common goal since individuality tops the list of priorities. If we all worked together this country wouldn't be in the condition it's in right now. Some of us will continue to hope, and some of us will continue to speak to those who don't want to listen. Hope without action isn't much hope, and talk without example is just a waste of oxygen. Take a step in the right direction every day. Matter of fact, try stepping in any direction in someone else' shoes for a few minutes each day. We can all do better than we have been for sure. What's it going to take?

#10 ·
I can also tell you that we HATE being dispatched to calls regarding things that are not illegal, such as a guy openly carrying a holstered firearm, but we still HAVE to go!
Really? Then answer me this: Why do the fearful OMG/MWAG type calls require anything but an attempt to confirm behavior that corroborates the unsubstantiated fear evidenced by the caller? And, lacking any such corroborating factors, why is anyone stopped in a "papers please" type deal merely on the baseless fear of a caller?

#15 ·
Like I said in another reply, I will ask for ID on any call I go on, to see who I am talking to. If you really wanted to say no, then fine. But why? This would be a consensual encounter type situation. If you did say agree to it... then 20 minutes down the road, when another call comes in, we can tell our dispatchers that we already made contact with you, and everything is great.

We are both carrying for the same reason! Why cant we work together?

I am curious what the majority of OCers think about those who walk down the road with assault rifles, just because they can, to make a video? Doesnt this hurt all of us that carry? Shouldnt those who carry work with the Police to solve the same issues we are all working toward?

#11 ·
Well, I see it this way. Back in the 60's, there were a lot of people marching, picketing and doing things that were perfectly legal but still getting harassed by the police. Those people happened to be minorities. Did they have an attitude? Yes, I am sure they did. Mainly because they had been harassed and had seen their friends harassed for simply being someplace that the police (government) thought they shouldn't, or acting in a way that the police (government) thought they shouldn't act. They were out there standing up for their civil rights, just as they should. Rights that were protected under the Bill of rights. Rights such as their 1 st amendment right to free speech. Or their 4th amendment right to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures. And their 15th amendment rights The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude. And other rights and demands of equality they had.

It is very similar to the OC movement. OC is leagl in many states. Perfectly, 100% legal. Yet, many police officers and police departments do not like it. They have a mind set that it should not and must not be allowed. We have seen many videos posted where the person OC'ing was doing so legally, and yet was still harassed by the police and even arrested wrongfully. While I have not been harassed myself, thankfully the Shelby County Sheriffs Department is very OC aware and friendly to it as an institution, there reamain many, many law enforcement agencies that are quite hostile toward the practice reguardless of the fact that it is perfectly legal.

Should a Jewish person be stopped on the street and asked for ID simply because someone called the police and complained that there is a Jewish person walking down the street and that makes them uncomfortable or frightened? Of course not. Should a black person be stopped and harassed for being somewhere simply because a racist called the police to complain about a black person in an area that they feel they do not belong in? Of course not. So why then, should a person who has a legally carried gun, secured in a holster on their hip, who is not threatening anyone in any way, be stopped by the police, questioned, demanded to show ID and prove they are obeying the law when the police can see no crime is being committed and in fact, is protected by the second amendment of that very same Bill of Rights mentioned above? Answer, they shouldn't. And yet, it happens all the time.

So you'll have to excuse some of us OC'ers who develop something of an attitude. I for one can completely understand it.

#24 ·
Well the videos are more of an insurance policy for the public so it doesn't (which it will) turn into a he said vs the police said and we know if it goes to court the judge will believe the deputy over the person.

Now as for baiting? I think it's stupid but around here half the police either 1) don't know it's legal, even with out a permit or 2) they don't like it and try to instill their "own" laws.

We have a local open carry meetings once a month but still some get harassed. The videos help keep the police officers in line because it has happened before and will happen again because of their personal feelings or lack of knowledge of the laws. Alabama is an open carry state with out a permit, the permit is only needed if you're in a vehicle or obviously concealing the weapon. Some will try the "the Permit doesn't allow you to open carry" law, DUH! because you don't need a permit to open carry here. Or the "someone called a MWAG and you're scaring people so you need to either cover your weapon or put it in the car or you will be taken to the clink under public disturbance or trespassing.

This is why I carry a audio recorder with me at all times, I don't want it to turn into a he said vs he said and the police video happens to not be working that day... It's nothing against police but it's sad that we get messed with by the police for doing something that is perfectly legal. Actually, it's our right unlike driving. Some police have thing about that badge and makes them think they're above the law, those small few make all of those who serve the thin blue line look real bad.

For instance, this judge takes the law into his own hands. He doesn't like OC and makes things up on his own and convicts a man on a non existent crime.

Again it's nothing against you at all, it all just a protection vs renegade cops who think they can make up their own laws. I carry a weapon for self defense from bad people, I carry an audio recorder to protect myself from bad cops.

#27 ·
I was pulled over by a State Trooper not to long ago, before he even approached. I had all the windows down, interior lights on, my DL, CCL, and Insurance in hand, with both hands outside the window in clear sight.

It was dusk so I wanted the officer to be completely at ease. When he walked up he was very polite and informed me my tail light was out.. Took my credentials, asked if I was armed, "I said yes sir" one on my person AIWB, the other in a mounted holster in the truck.. After he returned.. He said thank you for this great display of courtesy to "OUR" safety!

Would you not see it the same way while OCing?

What if it was a BG pretending to be a legal law abiding citizen OCing that had plans of his own and was using it to his advantage?

Honestly I'd want the officer to feel safe, just as I would. I'm all for OC, I live in Texas with hi hopes that it passes this next years legislation. If I was asked for my license I'd be honored to show proof of who's side I'm on and make some good friends in the process.

This is just a simple case of COMMON SENSE and the difference in how some of us are raised, see authority, and in most cases just get an EGO, which in my eyes is not conductive to good manners especially while carrying.

It's a responsibility that requires us to be trained mentally, physically, and in the Laws that govern it.. I for one will forgo the Ego, Attitude, and idea that the officer is doing anything more than his job!

God Bless

#29 ·
No offense to LEO's but it is not my job to put them at ease. I can be polite and courteous as I expect the officer to be without having to fork over documents that are not required. And in my previous post I think I made it perfectly clear that by the LEO asking for ID for no other reason than to see who I am is a waste of my time.

As far as how we are raised. I was raised to be polite. I was not raised to allow folks to aks things of me that are not required and quite frankly none of their business untll the point the officer feels I am a BG for some reason. Also, by virtue of handing over your papers on demand whether you need them or not is becoming commonplace and folks just think you have to. Just like your SSN. It is asked for all the time and I refuse to give it to somebody unless needed or they will refuse a service. My water company had SSN on the application....I did not put it down and the lady said it was required. I stayed there for almost an hour waiting for her to prove I needed to put it down. Finally after phone calls she said it was not required.

Your last sentence sounds good except you suppose that we know the laws. And in some states the law says that we do not have to show ID. So we do understand the law and complying with it.

Reactions: abillb
#30 ·
glocknug;2324952I handle all of these calls as a "consensual encounter". If you didnt really want to talk to me said:
Serious question: if it can be ascertained by observation that they are not a threat and are simply OC'ing, even with a less common gun such as a rifle, why should this require an encounter at all?
As far as the ID thing goes... I admit, I ask for ID on EVERY call I go to, whether its this or somthing else. It is not disrespectful. If you dont want to show it, ok... this shouldnt be a huge issue.
Keep in mind that most won't see it this way. Especially the part in bold. Yes, they should know their rights regarding an encounter, but your very presence by definition is a threat, even if it is an implied "obey or else I will use force".

Another thing to consider is that maybe the one who needs to have an official LEO encounter is the one making the MWAG call? By letting them make a call and then responding by requiring an encounter you are encouraging this behavior. At a minimum, the no feedback, no consequence is a neutral, but more than likely will leave them thinking (or rather feeling) that they were right and that something was wrong and it needed to be dealt with. This is the part that needs to be addressed.

As a side note, I have a coworker who a few months ago was enountered and in his opinion harrassed because he was walking around the block using a long walking stick. He says that it was harassment because it went beyond a simple question of who are you, what are you doing, to repeatedly asking these questions and a fixation on the stick. They too asked for ID, which he didn't carry (in his own neighborhood) and finally left. This was a rural neighborhood too, the kind with houses on 1-3 acre lots and neighbors along a main road, not a populated subdivision.

#31 ·
It has become that because so many in LE feel they are the law and if they don't agree they have a right to push their political agenda.
LEO has no interest in working with anyone that does not follow their way of thinking to the letter regardless of the law.
Look at FT Hood. They never he was trouble but being PC FBI ignored the warnings .
We need to get away from the old idea of LEO being a protector. Listen to their own words they make it clear they are not. Their propose is to promote and enforce their agenda regardless of the law. Madison WI last 2 years prefect example.
Police officer of today is not the office I grew up with.
You dare not stop an illegal and ask them for ID Holder will have to by the tail in a hart beat.

Reactions: Jollymann
#33 ·
I think the OP is calling for some sort of middle ground thinking when we have encounters. I agree to an extent. Please understand that every LEO that we encounter is not like you. I had a good encounter while armed just hours ago. We talked about the neighborhood and local happenings. I volunteered the info I was carrying. I found out a lot of info from a new LEO in my area. I would much rather be friends with my local LE than not. I will show them the courtesy they deserve until they over step their authority.

#34 · (Edited)
Firstly (and unfortunately ) here in TN we are required to show our HCP on demand of a LEO as the carrying of a firearm is illegal in TN and an HCP is a defense to it.

I am not someone that wants to buck up with LEO’s or John Q. Public for that matter. However I will stand my ground, know the laws, and my rights.

My last LEO encounter although not a MWAG call initiated at our Local Lowes, me and my Daughter went in for a few specific items, on the way in we passed the officer, I made eye contact smiled and nodded. We proceeded on and gathered our items and headed up to the self-checkout, rang up our items up paid and were just heading to the door when I hear “Sir” from behind me, not loud or commanding, in a tone that I was expecting to hear you forgot something or dropped this.
I turned around to address the voice and the LEO approached close enough that he would not draw attention and said “your side arm is exposed”.

Now I am aware I may handle this different than many, each situation has its own set of circumstances and I will react accordingly.

Due to his demeanor and his statement I was immediately aware that he did not know the law. Upon this initial contact is when I believe our actions become directly related to the outcome of the situation.

I glanced down saw that my shirt was hung above my holster it was not really meant to cover my side arm as even when down it only covered about ½ of the holster. I flipped the shirt over it and looked back at him with a very puzzled look but allowed the words “Thank You” to come out of my lips.
He proceeded to inform me that here in TN it must be concealed. I let the puzzled expression grow as I replied.

“Sir that is not my understanding of the law”

LEO “we have a concealed carry permit here”

ME “Sir the permit issued to me by the State of TN is a handgun carry permit not a concealed carry permit”

LEO (now with a puzzled look on his face) “Do you have it with you”

Me “Yes sir I have to have it when I carry, would you like to see it” (let the flaming start)

We both inspect the permit and the conversation revolves around each of our understanding of the law.

Now I could have begun to spout AG opinion 05-154 specifically covers…… but I did not go there I simply stated that I believe the AG even has an opinion on this.
He made the remark that he was going to have to look into that and wanted to know if I would like him to follow up with me about it. My response “yes please because if I have misinterpreted something I need to know”. I gave him my cell # and we were on our separate ways.

Approximately an hour latter my phone rang he addressed who he was and that he had done some looking into it and had learned something new today, that it was a carry permit and one could carry openly or concealed, he also thanked me for my for my demeanor during the encounter and I did the same. I then let him know that I was aware of AG opinion 05-154 and he made the remark that I could have told him and he would have believed me. This is when I eluded to the fact that a few of my encounters have not been as friendly, and that now he knows this to be factual he does not just have a piece of hearsay from some citizen off the street. That got a chuckle out of him.
Every encounter has a life of its own, if an Officer approached me with “we have had a call…..”
I would be glad to have a pleasant encounter, I may learn something, and they may learn something. If I am approached with attitude or unreasonable demands I will not be so passive in standing my ground.

Remember we have no control over people, places, or situations. We only have control over how we react and that can greatly affect the outcome.

Pat

#35 ·
I have great respect for what LEOs do, but my one and only LEO encounter while OCing involved me being sworn at and pressured to cover my firearm. I posted a thread on it here. I tried to be respectful, and it got me nowhere.

So now, my response will likely be, "Am I being detained?"

It is the "once bitten, twice shy" story....

#37 ·
I think for every 1 incident with LEO's and someone open carrying, there are 100's if not 1000's that go without incident... yet people like to dwell and base their decisions on the exception, not the norm.

This, of course, varies depending on where you live.

#38 ·
I have only respect for LEO and what they do for the community. I'm just going to tell it how it is.

LEO's job is to enforce laws.
Civilians must abide by the laws.

LEO's have no duty to be friendly and courteous when enforcing the law.
Civilians have no obligation to go out of their way to be friendly and courteous when being investigated/detained for a possible crime.

If a civilian is caught breaking the law, even if they don't know they are breaking it, they do not roll, do not pass go, do not collect $200. They go straight to jail. There is no second chances. There is no lecture about why they did something wrong and are sent on their way.

So when a civilian is not breaking any laws, but an officer treats them as if they are suspected of breaking a law, why should you expect them to sit back and pleasantly accept what is going on? They aren't going to be happy. They are gong to want to know why they are being detained and suspect. They expect the LEO to know the law, since it is their job to enforce it.

#40 ·
I believe in common decency and politeness, so I will go out of my way to be friendly to others even when I'm in an uncomfortable situation, until I see a reason not to any longer. I don't regard a common stop by a LEO as a valid reason to start acting like I have a pine cone stuck in my posterior, and I feel sorry for those who have no problem acting discourteously due to the inconvenience of an investigative encounter.

#42 ·

Why are there so many OCers that seem like they are just out to give the Police a hard time?

Everyone has seen their share of video evidence of police harassment in Open Carry encounters. I mean bogus lecturing, insults, illegal searches, even guns drawn out, “to show who’s boss”. Frankly I tend to remember those and assume that the next cop I run into is going to be like that. Also, if the cops involved don’t want to follow up on those dispatched calls, then the cops making decisions about those calls ought to not have them go out under the circumstances, knowing it’s just a guy or two packing guns and not being involved with any real crime. Obviously the higher ups making policy and writing memos, don’t mind giving the citizen unnecessary heat. Furthermore, if you are dispatched and you can’t get out of it, then why isn’t it just a matter of going there and saying “hello, goodbye” to the citizen, and leaving it at that? Why does it have to involve any degree of detention or questioning, which is clearly illegal with no evidence of a crime and no probable cause? It seems to me that loads of these guys love giving these citizens a hard time. It’s a pretty easy stop knowing the guy is just a good citizen who has no reason to fight or resist.

#43 ·
Generalizations and stereotypes are not really useful here, because we're talking about possible discrete interactions between two or more humans in an attempt to communicate, so recognize when you OC or CC, and meet a LEO, that you are both human, complete with foibles, frailties, desires, families, and a need to openly and honestly understand both sides of the interaction without resorting to stereotypes and generalizations in your response. It goes both ways, and a bit of mutual respect and understanding would go a long ways.

Particularly after the Colorado incident this morning, there will be a lot of nerves jangled and raw, so understand the sensitivity of the LEO if you are in that position. This is not the time to climb up on your war-horse and start making speeches, regardless of whether you believe making a LEO more comfortable is the right thing to do as an adult. This, my friends, is just a fact, unpleasant as it is, as tragic as it is, but we're all adults and we, to some extent, are products of our environment regardless of our intellectual and emotional grasp of the immediate situation.

#45 ·
So go ahead and take your shot st me for my opinion!!!

But: If that guy walking into the Colorado theater was stopped for open carry he probably would have the right to complain about it. I have no problem with any police officer "just checking" on a person known to have a gun. As long as it's professional and reasonable. There will always be antes reporting in when they see a gun. Like it or not the police officer serves them too and is just doing his/her job. carry concealed to protect yourself, open carry to make a point. I'll opt for the first.

Reactions: oldrwizr
#53 ·
But: If that guy walking into the Colorado theater was stopped for open carry ...
It's a good counterpoint to the whole concept of confirming corroborating factors as compared with a lone person simply walking down the street, or a group of parents with children seated at tables having a leisurely lunch.

In the case of a masked, helmeted, goggled dude in BDU's packing a rifle, multiple handguns and magazines galore desiring to walk into a packed gallery of generally (or fully) unarmed innocents, I'd say that's an entirely different situation, and one that should set off all sorts of alarm bells in anyone's head, including that of entry/exit staff as well as police.

A MWAG call in this theatre sort of situation (where someone's "loaded for bear") would have been solidly justified to have officers inquire, detain, evaluate. IMO, such a situation would loudly beg a question as to purpose for being so ... uh, prepared.

No explanation, so far, as to where he got in with all the clothing and hardware. Lacking better info (or assistance from someone opening the door from the inside), he might simply have packed it underneath a larger jacket. I'm sure it'll be reported at some point.

#46 ·
First off, I want to say that I do not usually open carry, although I am usually armed. I have absolutely NO problem with Open Carry in general, but I am very curious about this. I am also a Police Officer.

Why are there so many OCers that seem like they are just out to give the Police a hard time?Why are so many cops out to give OCers a hard time , or even CCers, can you say "Harless"? I can tell you that nobody I work with is out there trying to "harass" people legally carrying a firearm. In fact, most are all for it. I can also tell you that we HATE being dispatched to calls regarding things that are not illegal, such as a guy openly carrying a holstered firearm, but we still HAVE to go!

Instead of making YouTube Videos and giving the Police a hard time, why can't we work together? The majority of the time I have positive conversations with people who OCDuring these "positive conversations" do you ask for ID?, but there are always some who just want to give you a hard time for no reason. I also try to call the complaintants back and I explain to them that nothing illegal or dangerous is occuring.

Don't you think this hurts the rest of us in the long run, in the public eye? I think this is definatly the case when you have people OCing an AK-47, for no reason, just so they get approached by a Police Officer (Almost ALWAYS resonding to citizen complaints!), just to get a YouTube video up.

It doesn't have to be OC Vs. Police...Why cant we just work together? OK, most the guys YOU work with are pro-second amendment but there are probably more locals where the attitude of LEO is down right hostile
OK you point out the extreme end of things (slung AK) what about the You-Tubes of encounters like the group eating in a Steak & Shake, minding their own business when descended upon by a group of hostile cops or the guys enjoying lunch outside at a Culver's in WI when harrassed by the cops?? Regrettably the positive encounters even if videoed don't make good You-Tube stock.

Here in western Colorado I OC everyday, just going about my daily life, I have bumped into some cops from time to time, perhaps it is because I am carrying I get a nod or a "good day" and we exchange a few pleasantries, because I carry a bit of an odd gun some have taken second looks think they know what it is but somethings not right and they have asked what I'm carrying. It's basically a 1911, but it is a Para-Ordnance and takes double stack mags, we talk guns for a minute and we go on our way. BUT if ever asked for ID during a casual encounter things will go from warm and pleasant to cold and distant at the speed of light!

I tend to think the guys that go looking for "encounters" are operating in an environment that is already OC hostile and like Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat confrontation is seen as the best way to back the cops down, going along to get along won't change a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.