Open Carriers get ready! - Page 2

Open Carriers get ready!

This is a discussion on Open Carriers get ready! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mayor Bloomberg is ramping up the call for gun control. He has directed his comments to both Democratic and Repulican candidates. He is the most ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Open Carriers get ready!

Mayor Bloomberg is ramping up the call for gun control. He has directed his comments to both Democratic and Repulican candidates. He is the most out spoken. Giuliani also had negative gun control comments.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

bloomberg is just a blow hard wanting his 15 minutes..no one with half a brain will listen to him...unfortunately this country has many people with only half a brain...he needs to just keep his comments in his own city
    TN_Mike likes this.

I open caried in Aspen yesterday with no problems. Got a look or two.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I open carried as usual today, not a word said to me, no little old ladies fainted, no flashing lights and blaring sirens. Either the people here in the Richmond area accept people going about their business lawfully carrying, or they don't see a 60+ year old man as a threat.
    Probably a combination. But how many of the mass shooting perpetrators have been older guys? Almost always young men (and usually white... Va Tech dude and Long Island subway dude jump to mind as exceptions.)
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

You can bet all the anti 2A politicos will be doing a lot of feel good posturing to get guns off the streets. If only all that effort was made to KEEP BGs & idiots off the streets.
    Why don't they call for cars to be taken off the streets when someone uses one to run someone over?

I believe there will be an attempt to legislate against hi-cap mags and we will see attempts to bring back the "assault rifle" ban.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mardet View Post
    I believe there will be an attempt to legislate against hi-cap mags and we will see attempts to bring back the "assault rifle" ban.
    I get the sense that this is the way this is shaping up as well. They keep calling the 30 round mag the scum bag had a "High capacity clip" and that ti holds so many more shells than a "normal" clip. (Yes, I HATE that they are calling them clips too. Morons)

I'm not sure we will see anything happen though. Too close to a presidential election. No one wants to rile up the NRA and others. But, the sad thing is, even if Obama is defeated, I'm not sure the other guy will be any better for us. He have a hard fight ahead of us I think either way the election turns out.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I get the sense that this is the way this is shaping up as well. They keep calling the 30 round mag the scum bag had a "High capacity clip" and that ti holds so many more shells than a "normal" clip. (Yes, I HATE that they are calling them clips too. Morons)

I'm not sure we will see anything happen though. Too close to a presidential election. No one wants to rile up the NRA and others. But, the sad thing is, even if Obama is defeated, I'm not sure the other guy will be any better for us. He have a hard fight ahead of us I think either way the election turns out.

On July 1, 2004, Romney signed a permanent state ban on assault weapons, saying at the signing ceremony for the new law, "Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

Governorship of Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're right Mike. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in either candidate when it comes to gun control.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

GH
    I believe Aurora is a no-gun city. They've taken Colorado's gun laws & "improved" on them. We can all see how that worked out. The nuts & thugs won't put their guns in the safe because they're not allowed to carry them legally.

Time has proven again & again that the old adage "when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".

I think open carry/concealed carry baseball bats should be banned. The closest I came to getting injured by someone who was trying to hurt me was by a bat. I was fortunate to duck in time. That excepts the 27 years I was in the military of course, but that's a whole different story.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I believe Aurora is a no-gun city. They've taken Colorado's gun laws & "improved" on them. We can all see how that worked out. The nuts & thugs won't put their guns in the safe because they're not allowed to carry them legally.
    That is wrong.

Someone else more schooled in the minutiae of Colorado law may correct me, but Aurora is not a "no-gun" city. No such thing in Colorado at any rate. Denver prohibits OC, but CC is legal in Denver. Breckenridge too IIRC. I'll check. Lakewood?

CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.

A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.
    The Colorado Supreme Court held that state laws that expressly preempted firearms regulation unconsitutionally infringed on Denver's home rule authority with respect to ordinance that address the open carrying of firearms and banning assault weapons and Saturday night specials. State v. City and County of Denver, 139 P.3d 635 (Colo. 2006).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That is wrong.

Someone else more schooled in the minutiae of Colorado law may correct me, but Aurora is not a "no-gun" city. No such thing in Colorado at any rate. Denver prohibits OC, but CC is legal in Denver. Breckenridge too IIRC. I'll check.
    Apparently the law is still on the books in Aurora but can't be enforced because of Colorado state laws. I think that's where the confusion comes from.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Here's more on the city matter:

The below list is incorrect:

List of cities in Colorado that ban the right to bear arms (concealed carry)

Aurora, Boulder, Broomfield, Colorado Springs, Denver, Englewood, Lakewood, Littleton, Longmont, Northglenn, Pueblo, Thornton, Westminster, Wheat Ridge

Aurora is the only city that ban the transportation of loaded firearm in the vehicle

The cause for allowing the cities to determine the policy of "bearing arms" is Colorado State Constitution, Article II, Section 13 (note the part of the sentence in bold):

"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons."
    Give me a minute and I'll add the references I have which are current and accurate.

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except

(2) A permit issued does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
    Where can I not Open Carry? Several places. These fit into four main categories: Prohibited by Law Areas, Prohibiting Municipalities, Prohibiting Private Businesses and Prohibiting Private Residences.

-Prohibited by Law Areas:

-Facility of public transportation. (If loaded)

18-9-118. Firearms, explosives, or incendiary devices in facilities of public transportation.

A person commits a class 6 felony if, without legal authority, he has any loaded firearm or explosive or incendiary device, as defined in section 9-7-103, C.R.S., in his possession in, or carries, brings, or causes to be carried or brought any of such items into, any facility of public transportation, as defined in section 18-9-115 (4).

18-9-115. Endangering public transportation.
    (4) "Facility of public transportation" includes a public conveyance and any area, structure, or device which is designed, adapted, and used to support, guide, control, permit, or facilitate the movement, starting, stopping, takeoff, landing, or servicing of a public conveyance or the loading or unloading of passengers or goods.

-Chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or a building in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

(c) Without legal authority, carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a firearm or any explosive, incendiary, or other dangerous device on the property of or within any building in which the chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or either house thereof, are located, or in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted, or in which the official office of any member, officer, or employee of the general assembly is located.

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:

(c) A person who, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214; or

-School, college, or university grounds.

18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds.

(1) A person commits a class 6 felony if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without legal authority carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-901 (3) (e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, high, or vocational school or any public or private college, university, or seminary, except for the purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition pursuant to instruction in conjunction with an organized school or class, for the purpose of carrying out the necessary duties and functions of an employee of an educational institution that require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of participation in an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team.

(3) It shall not be an offense under this section if:

(a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real estate of any public or private college, university, or seminary; or

(b) The person is in that person's own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under that person's control at the time of the act of carrying; or

(c) The person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance and is carrying a weapon for lawful protection of that person's or another's person or property while traveling; or

(d) The person, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, as said section existed prior to its repeal; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214 (3); or

(d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214 (3); or

(e) The person is a peace officer, as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S., when carrying a weapon in conformance with the policy of the employing agency as provided in section 16-2.5-101 (2), C.R.S.; or

(h) The person has possession of the weapon for use in an educational program approved by a school which program includes, but shall not be limited to, any course designed for the repair or maintenance of weapons.

-Premises of a Racetrack (Not a crime, but grounds for future denial of racing license.)

12-60-507. Investigation - denial, suspension, and revocation actions against licensees - unlawful acts.

(1) The commission upon its own motion may, and upon complaint in writing of any person shall, investigate the activities of any licensee or applicant within the state or any person upon the premises of any facility licensed pursuant to this article. In addition to its authority under any other provision of this article, the commission may issue a letter of admonition to a licensee, fine a licensee, suspend a license, deny an application for a license, or revoke a license, if such person has committed any of the following violations:

(m) Possession on the premises of a racetrack of:

(I) Firearms; or

-On a Snowmobile

33-14-117. Hunting, carrying weapons on snowmobiles - prohibitions.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to:

(b) Operate or ride on any snowmobile with any firearm in his possession, unless such firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case or inserted in a scabbard, or with any bow unless it is unstrung or cased, but this paragraph (b) shall not apply to any person to whom the division of wildlife has issued a permit for the control of predators such as coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and the like;

(3) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a class 2 petty offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine as follows:

(b) For a violation of paragraph (b) of subsection (1) of this section, fifty dollars; and

Prohibiting Municipalities. (Denver, Arvada and Breckenridge. Please message us if you know of other municipalities who ban open carry).
    So, my resources, indicate that Open Carry is against the law in Arvada, Denver and Breckenridge only.

Thanks for taking the time to sort all that out. I never could find the actual ordinance, just what other people thought that it said.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I wonder if the theater was posted?

YES

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    There will be a lot of bluster about new gun control but I bet nothing will come of it. If nothing changed after the Giffords shooting in Arizona I doubt anything will change this time.
    Nothing happened that time but the tide has been building and now the UN move to ban personal firearms is just about to be voted on. I don't know all of the subtle little details in the resolution but from what seems to be known it sounds like it's not going to be good for us. I hope I'm wrong on that.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links