Proposal: Dicussions on carry/OC with local law-enforcement - Page 2

Proposal: Dicussions on carry/OC with local law-enforcement

This is a discussion on Proposal: Dicussions on carry/OC with local law-enforcement within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I began working for the department I'm with, I had a discussion with the Chief, Lieutenant and my Sergeant about OC. None are as ...

View Poll Results: Have you had meetings/discussions with LE in your community?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

24 40.00%
  • no

36 60.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Proposal: Dicussions on carry/OC with local law-enforcement

VIP Member
    When I began working for the department I'm with, I had a discussion with the Chief, Lieutenant and my Sergeant about OC. None are as OC friendly as I am, but all know and understand the law. We have had department meetings where OC has briefly been discussed, just to make sure we all understand the laws concerning it. I've never heard of anyone around here being hassled for OC except the gentleman OCing at a local college that was fairly big news for a while.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

My locals seldom see me out of town. Formal meetings would almost demand I be on call 24/7. Nobody pays me the going rate. Explain me that.

In my rural area there is no problem at all. Our law enforcement officers are interested in law breakers and don't worry about law abiding citizens carrying. But in the cities of Madison and Milwaukee a discussion would be like talking to the wall. The top cops are anti gun extremists and they set the policies for the officers on the street. I just avoid those places.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

I've talked to a deputy here a few times, once in my driveway and once on the phone. He didn't know the specifics of the law, and had just about as much knowledge as I did. We ended up being on the phone for about an hour and we both looked at the same sources online and figured out what is and isn't legal. The only thing we didn't agree on was the "out of reach" which seems to be added depending on where you are in the state. I found nothing in the statute that would warrant that, and after he put me on hold to speak with his SO, he said it was right there in plain english. lol go figure or maybe I'm missing something? Either way, I have my CCW so the issue is moot. I'd just like to know the law in case I forget my wallet or lose it etc.

LEO's should understand that they are not the only persons that should be allowed to defend themselves and/or their families when they are in a public place. It is just that simple...they are not going to provide my daughter, wife, or me with a full time body guard. The safety of my family is my responsibility and I should be allowed to take on that responsibility just as any armed LEO is allowed to do.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    i've sent emails to the PD Chief, and the mayor... so yes i have
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

OC in Alabama....basically legal according to the Code of Alabama, but why??? Here or anywhere else? Get a CC permit and relish the element of surprise.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    OC in Alabama....basically legal according to the Code of Alabama, but why??? Here or anywhere else? Get a CC permit and relish the element of surprise.
    The thing about freedom is that you don't need a reason to exercise it.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    After an OC baiter hit our town last week the local Chief of Police reached out to me via email for my thoughts on the subject. Local LE knows I OC sometimes. The Chief is pro 2A. He asked if I was ever mistreated by his officers. Made me feel good about our town and local LE. We had a face to face on Friday, went very well!
    ccw9mm and sigmanluke like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

i recently had a pleasant discussion with a Deputy here about what he thought as Law Enforcement, would be a good way to have a firearm in the car while driving, and a good/proper way of letting a L.E.O. know I have a firearm on my person if i get pulled over. He was very nice and the lil talk was good and informative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links