Open carrier at batman movie

This is a discussion on Open carrier at batman movie within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RevolvingMag Best thing to do? Stay seated. Unless you're the guy OCing. There's an interesting conundrum, for those living in a state ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open carrier at batman movie

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Best thing to do? Stay seated. Unless you're the guy OCing.
    There's an interesting conundrum, for those living in a state that requires notification upon demand, if concealing and failing to notify in such a case.

Agreed, on the flying under the radar, though. One of the benefits of going concealed, in a place that doesn't openly support lawful carry of defensive weapons.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Excuse me for stating this opinion in the OC Sub-Forum, but carrying OC at a theater showing Dark Knight Rises is akin to a Nazi skinhead going to Temple. Just shows a lack of judgement and a disregard for the current environment, good or bad. In poor taste at a minimum.

Just my .05, YMMV, IMHO blah blah blah............blah blah blah.........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Yeah, how dare he do something legal... I bet he drove there too.

It's not law abiding citizens that screw it up, it's criminals... Sorry, but I don't believe that because someone decided to take many lives at a movie theater that it should change my rights as a law abiding citizen to protect myself, which could be even more necessary now due to copy cat criminals.

Should you stop drinking for a few months every time a drunk kills someone?
    Stop smoking for a few days any time someone dies of lung cancer?

What if someone got shot on the street, should you not carry on that street?

This person might only open carry, may not have an inside the waistband holster... so now what, according to some he shouldn't carry at all, even though it's 100% legal to do so the way he probably has for years?

Yeah, great idea... let criminals dictate how we go about our lives, that works out well.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There's an interesting conundrum, for those living in a state that requires notification upon demand, if concealing and failing to notify in such a case.

Agreed, on the flying under the radar, though. One of the benefits of going concealed, in a place that doesn't openly support lawful carry of defensive weapons.
    SC is a "must inform" state. But, unless I've horribly misread the laws on that, you only have to inform in an 'official' encounter. License check, traffic stop, etc. In a situation where they're asking for people to volunteer information without checking people's IDs, you don't really have to tell them.

Of course, if you want more information/ask a legal opinion, don't ask an officer- they'll of course tell you that you HAVE to tell them no matter what. Ask a 'gun friendly' lawyer.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

He isnt saying you cant do it. He's just pointing out a courtesy to the other patrons. I forgot who has the signature (something along the lines of "a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky animals")... It's true. "People" are generally idiots when given the opportunity to feed off of each other. OC'ing in a Batman movie after recent events might be legal, but in poor taste. Then again, its perfectly legal to have poor taste.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Yeah, how dare he do something legal... I bet he drove there too.

It's not law abiding citizens that screw it up, it's criminals... Sorry, but I don't believe that because someone decided to take many lives at a movie theater that it should change my rights as a law abiding citizen to protect myself, which could be even more necessary now due to copy cat criminals.

Should you stop drinking for a few months every time a drunk kills someone?
    Stop smoking for a few days any time someone dies of lung cancer?

What if someone got shot on the street, should you not carry on that street?

This person might only open carry, may not have an inside the waistband holster... so now what, according to some he shouldn't carry at all, even though it's 100% legal to do so the way he probably has for years?

Yeah, great idea... let criminals dictate how we go about our lives, that works out well.
    I agree but there is also a thing called tact. There is no sense in OCing to this movie after someone shot 70 people a few weeks ago. It's like picking at a scab.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Makes me wonder how many CCers didn't stand up....
    9mmHP, 64zebra and Regoria75 like this.

VIP Member
    I went and saw Batman yesterday. Very good movie I might add! Yes indeed I had my 9mm ready and I have to admit that I watched the exits a bit more then usual.
    Burns, LaDanah26 and 64zebra like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I agree but there is also a thing called tact. There is no sense in OCing to this movie after someone shot 70 people a few weeks ago. It's like picking at a scab.
    Of greatest interest to me, is whether at that theatre since the Aurora murders staff from that theatre have called the police on any other patrons at any of the other films.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    That's the single greatest daily impact that's inflicted by such refusal to accept the 2A for what it is. In the long run, it'll be what allows the rats to rule the maze, if allowed to continue. Unless, of course, Scalia et al accelerate things.

Which is why I go elsewhere, to where folks avoid living their lives via vague, ill-conceived fears.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I agree with what almost all of you are saying, but keep in mind the theater had signs posted so the officer had to do his job or he'd get in trouble himself, but he didn't give any of them a hard time about it, so props to him.

You would think more theaters would have learned from the CO incident and realize signs don't stop the bad guys, but some people never learn...
    accessbob likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I am all for OC, but in this case, under current circumstances, the guy showed incredibly poor judgement. Why not conceal it? Why ruin the movie for everyone else? He had to know it would cause a problem. Bad time to make a statement.
    atctimmy, kb2wji and wmhawth like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

So.. I'm now waiting on the story that says, "Legally weapon carrying men had weapons put back in vehicle. After movie, cars were broken into and guns stolen."

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    I am all for OC, but in this case, under current circumstances, the guy showed incredibly poor judgement. Why not conceal it? Why ruin the movie for everyone else? He had to know it would cause a problem. Bad time to make a statement.
    Movie was ruined by the theater.

1.) Sign was posted too small. Don't think anyone would open carry if a sign was more visible.

2.) I don't see it as a statement, just a precaution.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

A precaution would be carrying concealed. OC just inflamed a bad situation. People are jittery enough without pulling stunts like this. Same movie as the attack and OC, what would you expect people's response to be?
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links