Open carrier at batman movie - Page 3

Open carrier at batman movie

This is a discussion on Open carrier at batman movie within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Crescentstar A precaution would be carrying concealed. OC just inflamed a bad situation. People are jittery enough without pulling stunts like this. ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open carrier at batman movie

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    A precaution would be carrying concealed. OC just inflamed a bad situation. People are jittery enough without pulling stunts like this. Same movie as the attack and OC, what would you expect people's response to be?
    Well, that theater was posted so... I don't see your point. If it's legal, it's legal. Don't bend over backwards for the sheeple. I suppose you would expect the police to disarm in the theater, too? Or maybe just force them to CC for good taste, as well.
    sigmanluke likes this.

Same movie as the attack and OC, what would you expect people's response to be?
    Circumspection is applicable to a wide range of situations.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Would've been great if someone asked the officer if he was staying to protect everyone in case of a repeat performance since that's what everyone was apparently afraid of.
    urkrypt0nite likes this.

If I was legally armed I would have told the Cops I'm not breaking any laws I carry for my protection,if the theatre wants me to leave they can refund my ticket and snack money since I didn't get to enjoy it,but I'm not disarming
    DefConGun and Pistology like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I understand that it was "posted" but if it was so un-noticable that the LEO had said something to them, then I better get a FULL refund (snacks included) for being publicly embarassed. Thats ganna be around $25 probably. With the costs of a movie these days, I should be able to OC a bazooka.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Watched Ted with my Walther on my hip

I OCd at Cinemagic in Menomonie, WI a few days after the CO incident. I didn't see Batman, because it looks stupid. But...I did see Ted. Usually people don't notice that I'm carrying. This time, everybody saw, looked and stared as I walked the 20 feet from the counter to the door of the theater 2. The kid working the counter looked at me, looked at my gun and smiled. They upgraded me to a medium popcorn at no cost as well. We ended up being the only people watching Ted, but had no problems. A few teenage girls did follow me around smiling and pointing, which irritated my wife. I told her it was my gun. ;-) She's still mad at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Excuse me for stating this opinion in the OC Sub-Forum, but carrying OC at a theater showing Dark Knight Rises is akin to a Nazi skinhead going to Temple. Just shows a lack of judgement and a disregard for the current environment, good or bad. In poor taste at a minimum.

Just my .05, YMMV, IMHO blah blah blah............blah blah blah.........
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I agree but there is also a thing called tact. There is no sense in OCing to this movie after someone shot 70 people a few weeks ago. It's like picking at a scab.
    I am all for OC, but in this case, under current circumstances, the guy showed incredibly poor judgement. Why not conceal it? Why ruin the movie for everyone else? He had to know it would cause a problem. Bad time to make a statement.
    How do you know the OCer had a CCL permit? What if he couldn't afford one?

A precaution would be carrying concealed. OC just inflamed a bad situation. People are jittery enough without pulling stunts like this. Same movie as the attack and OC, what would you expect people's response to be?
    All these are examples of NOT exercising your right to protect yourselves and your loved ones for a fear of other people's fears. Just like muscle gain, if you don't use it you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I like this story, except for the part where the police make the guys put their guns in their cars (and the stopping the movie part)...
    And I suppose that the DA would hold the responding officer, theater and the complainant responsible if one of the other patrons decided to go and break into those cars for free guns? Not a smart move. There's no bad guns, just stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    How do you know the OCer had a CCL permit? What if he couldn't afford one?
    If he didn't have a permit, he was breaking the law already. TN has a Handgun Carry Permit, not a Concealed Carry License. You are licensed to carry a gun and you get to choose whether it is OC or CC. Regardless, you can't legally carry without the permit.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Adameeski View Post
    If he didn't have a permit, he was breaking the law already. TN has a Handgun Carry Permit, not a Concealed Carry License. You are licensed to carry a gun and you get to choose whether it is OC or CC. Regardless, you can't legally carry without the permit.
    Touche. My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I went and saw Batman yesiterday. Very good movie I might add! Yes indeed I had my 9mm ready and I have to admit that I watched the exits a bit more then usual.
    Went to see Dark Night on Sunday evening. Definitely had my 1911 concealed; as I'm legally allowed to do. Wife was glad too. I also found myself occasionally checking the emergency exit as well. However, in view of recent events I did find myself to be very cognizant of my pistol. Usually I forget its even there, but I felt like everyone would be "checking each other out"...so I guess I felt kind of exposed; although I wasn't. Anyway all went well and no incidents here in a theater in Putnam County, NY. BTW there are no "gun buster" signs at this theater either.

For those wondering if the OC guy in CO had a CWP, he did. One of the local news channels interviewed him at his home.

VIP Member
    No doubt most people right now have a heightened sense of alert at a movie theatre, and for good reason, however what could be the next similar venue for a shooter to enter?

Regarding the useless "no guns allowed" signs at the theatre, they're as useless as a "no killing allowed" sign.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My son and I went to see the it in Marinette PineTree theater. No signs I was carrying my model 30. No issues I did not expect any I carry concealed and do,it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Employee calls police when he sees a man open carrying a gun (no gun signs posted). They stop the movie, police ask the guy who's carrying to stand up. 3 men stand :D

Herald Citizen - Gun at Batman causes stir

Officer asked them to place their weapons in their vehicles and they do, and then everyone enjoys the movie :)
    I was OK with the story until the moron cops asked the OC'ers to put the guns in their cars AND THEY DID. I would have politely declined and if the theater didn't want me there, I would have demanded a refund and left, making sure to tell them that not only would I never return but, I would also post this info for thousands of pro-gun/pro-carry folks to see so they would be sure not to patronize their theater either.

Sheeple are stupid.
    Gun Bunny and tricolordad like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I was OK with the story until the moron cops asked the OC'ers to put the guns in their cars AND THEY DID. I would have politely declined and if the theater didn't want me there, I would have demanded a refund and left, making sure to tell them that not only would I never return but, I would also post this info for thousands of pro-gun/pro-carry folks to see so they would be sure not to patronize their theater either.

Sheeple are stupid.
    The cop was fine, like I said, just doing his job. If he didn't ask them to (respectfully) either leave or put their firearms in their vehicles he would have been in big trouble. He even told the theater employees to put a bigger sign up. I don't go to places that don't allow me to carry and I check every door and window for the signs before entering, the people who did carry made the choice to, so in reality, it was their own fault. And I'm sure they would completely be able to get a refund if they wanted one.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links