Open carrier at batman movie - Page 4

Open carrier at batman movie

This is a discussion on Open carrier at batman movie within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Police Officer: "Sir, you'll need to put your gun in the car and leave it there." Me: "I'll wait for it to come out on ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 136
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open carrier at batman movie

  1. #46
    Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,687
    Police Officer: "Sir, you'll need to put your gun in the car and leave it there."

    Me: "I'll wait for it to come out on Redbox, thank you." and then proceed to leave.

    If its legal, then its legal and stories like this set bad precedent.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 1st, 2012 at 06:50 PM.


  2. #47
    Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post

    Police Officer: "Sir, you'll need to put your gun in the car and leave it there."

    Me: "I'll wait for it to come out on Redbox, thank you." and then proceed to leave.

    If its legal, then its legal and stories like this set bad precedent.
    I would agree, but signs posted=illegal :/
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 1st, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

  3. #48
    Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I would agree, but signs posted=illegal :/
    I must have mis-read it. I thought someone said signs weren't posted. I thought the whole point of the story was that they were asked to put their guns away after they were legally carrying.

  4. #49
    Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I must have mis-read it. I thought someone said signs weren't posted. I thought the whole point of the story was that they were asked to put their guns away after they were legally carrying.
    They had small signs that I'm guessing none of them noticed. The officer told the theater to put bigger ones up.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

  5. #50
    Senior Member Array Gun Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    759
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)


    "First Duty is To Remember"

  6. #51
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Madness and insanity, indeed: issued a citation for having a defensive firearm, merely because another saw it and felt alarmed because of the sight.

    That someone felt alarmed doesn't hardly equate to the carrier being or acting alarming, IMO not by any standard.

    But there are such statutes, most everywhere, covering "disturbances." Despite carrying being a perfectly lawful and acceptable behavior, it's considered a violation via the safety, decorum and alarming feelings avoidance statutes on the books. Not until there's a "mere carrying while going about one's lawful business does not constitute viable, acceptable or lawful cause to prosecute," then people will continue to be vilified. Sadly, very few states have any such commitment on the books.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  7. #52
    Senior Member Array kb2wji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I was OK with the story until the moron cops asked the OC'ers to put the guns in their cars AND THEY DID.
    So, are you name-calling because the "moron cop" was doing his job? The theater had a no guns policy. They asked Sgt. Harris to ask the patrons to leave. This is pretty typical. The theater owner simply did not want to ask the patrons himself. How does this make the cop a "moron"?? If you dont like an establishment's policy, go somewhere else. If you choose to stay, and get told to leave, dont cry over unfinished popcorn.

  8. #53
    Member Array CPanther95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Where's the outrage over the woman who took a cell phone call during the movie? That is a much larger breach of social etiquette.
    Ionracas likes this.

  9. #54
    Member Array CPanther95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    SC is a "must inform" state. But, unless I've horribly misread the laws on that, you only have to inform in an 'official' encounter. License check, traffic stop, etc. In a situation where they're asking for people to volunteer information without checking people's IDs, you don't really have to tell them.

    Of course, if you want more information/ask a legal opinion, don't ask an officer- they'll of course tell you that you HAVE to tell them no matter what. Ask a 'gun friendly' lawyer.
    That one is a tough call. We are required to notify if any officer asks us for identification. There's nothing in the law about it having to be a one-on-one encounter instead of a group request.

    And while we typically associate an ID request as a request for license, I can see a judge saying that a request to see any CCP is actually a request for identification - just a specific identification.

    Truth be told, I'd comply just as the 3 in TN did - however, I'd request a refund. I wouldn't risk any legal issues over a movie I can watch much more comfortably in my home theater.

  10. #55
    Member Array kmf0925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wyoming, MI
    Posts
    42
    It's too bad they were forced to bring their weapons to their cars. I agree with the others who said they would have asked for a refund. What if there had been another psychopath just lurking in the crowd? He now knows nobody has defense. This tragedy in Colorado just re-affirms why I (and other law-abiding citizens) do and should carry everywhere.
    Ionracas likes this.

  11. #56
    Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by kmf0925 View Post
    It's too bad they were forced to bring their weapons to their cars. I agree with the others who said they would have asked for a refund. What if there had been another psychopath just lurking in the crowd? He now knows nobody has defense. This tragedy in Colorado just re-affirms why I (and other law-abiding citizens) do and should carry everywhere.
    I agree ^
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

  12. #57
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    I don't think I would ever dissarm and return after a public dissarmament of all law abiding patrons. Do you think a person intent on shooting the place up would have stood up when the officer asked who had the gun? So, after everyone inclined to follow laws and social norms (AKA: NOT KILLING PEOPLE) is gone or dissarmed, the bad guy can now proceed to shoot everyone else with no concern for being stopped. I would have probably explained that to the theater staff on the way out, and ask how he would sleep if another massacre happened, and he had forced the people who could have stopped it to leave the theater.
    Walk softly ...

  13. #58
    Senior Member Array NH_Esau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    943
    Theater management completely in their rights to deny the carriage of weapons on their property.
    Cop completely in the right in helping theater personnel to enforce private property rights.
    No way on earth I'd go leave my gun in the car and then return to the theater after publicly disarming.
    BTW, I'll guarantee you that after the three law-abiding citizens disarmed, there were still weapons in that theater. Knives at a minimum, and probably a firearm or two.

    On the second story - handgunlaw.us says CO CCL good for 5 yrs, and he says his was issued in 03. Ridiculous that someone freaks out about a handgun, but he's still going to pay for it.

  14. #59
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    So, are you name-calling because the "moron cop" was doing his job? The theater had a no guns policy. They asked Sgt. Harris to ask the patrons to leave. This is pretty typical. The theater owner simply did not want to ask the patrons himself. How does this make the cop a "moron"?? If you dont like an establishment's policy, go somewhere else. If you choose to stay, and get told to leave, dont cry over unfinished popcorn.
    What makes the cop a moron is that he asked them to put the guns in their cars publicly. That opened the risk for the theft of the guns. He endangered a whole lot of people by not talking to the men in private.

  15. #60
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Madness and insanity, indeed: issued a citation for having a defensive firearm, merely because another saw it and felt alarmed because of the sight.

    That someone felt alarmed doesn't hardly equate to the carrier being or acting alarming, IMO not by any standard.

    But there are such statutes, most everywhere, covering "disturbances." Despite carrying being a perfectly lawful and acceptable behavior, it's considered a violation via the safety, decorum and alarming feelings avoidance statutes on the books. Not until there's a "mere carrying while going about one's lawful business does not constitute viable, acceptable or lawful cause to prosecute," then people will continue to be vilified. Sadly, very few states have any such commitment on the books.
    The new open carry law that will go into effect in Oklahoma in November has a special clause written in it to address this problem. No person who is legally carrying a weapon can be arrested for disturbing the peace or other such charges.

    Michael

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can i carry a gun in a movie theater in georgia

,
can i take my gun in theather in ga
,

can you conceal carry in a movie theater in georgia

,

concealed carry in movie theater georgia

,
concealed carry in virginia movie theaters
,
georgia concealed carry i'm theater
,

georgia concealed carry movie theater

,
is concealed carry allowed movie theaters in kentucky
,
is it legal to carry a gun in a movie theater in kentucky
,
is it legal to carry a handgun in a movie theater in kentucky
,
signs postedtoo small
,
unless otherwise authorized by law ohio concealed
Click on a term to search for related topics.