Open carrier at batman movie - Page 5

Open carrier at batman movie

This is a discussion on Open carrier at batman movie within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have been laughing if someone hollered out: "Officer, can you ask any criminals carrying illegally to also stand up and disarm? Thanks."...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open carrier at batman movie

I would have been laughing if someone hollered out:
    "Officer, can you ask any criminals carrying illegally to also stand up and disarm? Thanks."
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 1st, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
    atctimmy, FUZZ, Ionracas and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The new open carry law that will go into effect in Oklahoma in November has a special clause written in it to address this problem. No person who is legally carrying a weapon can be arrested for disturbing the peace or other such charges.

Michael
    That's a nice thing to have! Here in WI, the AG issued a memorandum advising police departments and DAs that it "should not" result in a disorderly conduct charge. He stopped short of making it an official ?opinion? I forget the word needed for it. Either way, I've still been threatened with jail and constantly get harrassed. Not that I'll ever stop exercising my right to defend myself and my family.
    Burns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    So, are you name-calling because the "moron cop" was doing his job? The theater had a no guns policy. They asked Sgt. Harris to ask the patrons to leave. This is pretty typical. The theater owner simply did not want to ask the patrons himself. How does this make the cop a "moron"?? If you dont like an establishment's policy, go somewhere else. If you choose to stay, and get told to leave, dont cry over unfinished popcorn.
    Yes, I'm calling the cop a moron because he is perpetuating the hysteria that is currently popular among the sheep who go to movies. He was a moron because he asked them to put their guns in a car. Leaving a gun in a car is a moronic thing to do or to ask someone to do. It would be better if the cop told the OC'ers that the location was posted and as a result carrying there was illegal.

Tennessee is the same way, if a location is posted clearly and the wording on the sign is correct, it is illegal to carry there. I personally will not spend money in any business that posts. And I don't cry over it.

Are you sure you live in Tennessee? Because you seem like a Yankee.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't feel that guy OCing in that theater was an issue of legality. I'm gonna have to go with Rock and Glock on this one. Carry your weapon, just conceal it. I don't see the point in stirring up trouble when there is another way to carry it without causing a scene. The guy had to be aware of the Colorado Movie Theatre shooting, so why would he carry openly. It just seems stupid to me.

I work in and live near a particularly large city in PA. With my permit, its legal to open carry. I'd like to 'cause its more comfortable. However its not even close to being worth the trouble to OC. Its that kind of judgement I think that theater OCer should have exercised.
    kb2wji likes this.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Yes, I'm calling the cop a moron because he is perpetuating the hysteria that is currently popular among the sheep who go to movies. He was a moron because he asked them to put their guns in a car. Leaving a gun in a car is a moronic thing to do or to ask someone to do. It would be better if the cop told the OC'ers that the location was posted and as a result carrying there was illegal.

Tennessee is the same way, if a location is posted clearly and the wording on the sign is correct, it is illegal to carry there. I personally will not spend money in any business that posts. And I don't cry over it.

Are you sure you live in Tennessee? Because you seem like a Yankee.
    He was perpetuating the hysteria? No. That would be the OC'er. The cop is a moron? No. If you think leaving a gun in your car is that stupid, dont take it to a posted movie theater. If you dont want to leave it in your car, go home. It's the patrons choice. The "moron" cop as you so eloquently put it, was simply enforcing the wish of the theater owners.

Choosing to not patronize posted locations is your choice. I cant say I blame you. That said, people should not be so surprised and insulted when asked to leave if they are not adhering to the rules of the establishment. The guy asking them to leave is not to blame.

The first 28 years of my life were spent in NY, so yup, i'm a Yankee. I love NY and miss it every day. It's a beautiful state with more to offer than just about anywhere else. We do not all share the same mindset as Bloomy's flock, trust me. I'm pro 2a, and am very open about my feeling that more people should carry. My Yankee roots (and proud!) dont have anything to do with a guy seeing a movie in Colorado.

It's pretty clear that we disagree on some things, and we wont see eye to eye. I have no problem with that. Forums like these are a great place to debate and share different views. The issue I have is with the name calling. There's no need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Excuse me for stating this opinion in the OC Sub-Forum, but carrying OC at a theater showing Dark Knight Rises is akin to a Nazi skinhead going to Temple. Just shows a lack of judgement and a disregard for the current environment, good or bad. In poor taste at a minimum.

Just my .05, YMMV, IMHO blah blah blah............blah blah blah.........
    I agree here 100%. I am all for OC when its legal. Legally there was nothing wrong with it in this case. But, given recent events...it was very poor taste to OC to a Dark Knight Rises showing. Especially when folks are on edge and the shooting is still fresh in folks minds. Part of being a responsible open carrier is knowing when its not appropriate to OC. In this case, not appropriate at all. I also think the cops in this case were using good judgement and I am glad the three guys did not resist.

If you are going to open carry...be smart about it. If open carry is legal where you are then you should not be hindered from OCing. But, if you want to take a gun with you in a situation like a Dark Knight Rises showing then you should just get your CWP and carry that way. Remember your rights END when you infringe on the rights of others. Others have the right to feel safe in their surroundings. Open Carry when it is the responsible thing to do, not in a theater full of people seeing a movie that has been associated with a mass killing.
    kb2wji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The new open carry law that will go into effect in Oklahoma in November has a special clause written in it to address this problem. No person who is legally carrying a weapon can be arrested for disturbing the peace or other such charges.

Michael
    Thanks Michael for the info on Oklahoma, being that is where I have my CCL. Love this forum site, as I just joined and I can already tell I am going to love it here. Steve.

agreed. thats why i got a conceal carry holster now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Now if another shooting incident had taken place right after the guns had been returned to vehicles, I think I'd be sueing the pants off the employee, the theatre, and the police department. I don't even like all of the lawsuits that are taking place these days, but this would be a good chance for one to prove stupidity on their part.

i know i sure as heck would not have stood up. not breaking any laws so i would not have felt obligated to do anything but sit and enjoy the movie.thanx tommy theis for that wonderful holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    Makes me wonder how many CCers didn't stand up....

While I wouldnt have stood up, I conceal carry for a reason, I don't want people to know.. However, gun owners need some good press right now, and this is just that. It looks very good on law abiding citizens who carry, do to their cooperation with the police, etc. Stories like this are what we need in the news right now.

The smart thing to do is to stand up and ask for a refund - even if you aren't armed. Just saw it today because the showing of Spiderman I wanted to see was a special viewing with the captions added to the bottom of the screen. Batman was about twice as long as it needed to be, and despite being a superhero movie, had very little superhero in it. I would've rather seen Spiderman dubbed in German by Simon, Alvin and Theodore.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    Batman was about twice as long as it needed to be, and despite being a superhero movie, had very little superhero in it. I would've rather seen Spiderman dubbed in German by Simon, Alvin and Theodore.
    Yet another reason why I avoid first-run films in theatres: they might well be garbage. I'll avoid the crowds and cost, avoid the crappiest films, avoid the need to be in a choice/juicy place that might well be most attractive to 'ragers like the fool who shot up the Aurora theatre. Awaiting a film to become available for $0.63 on Amazon and doing other, more-constructive and -pleasurable things instead has a lot of simple advantages.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    It won't take much more than that for State legislators to put movie theaters into the same category/classification as Elementary Schools and State office buildings and magistrates...etc.
    Pistology likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It won't take much more than that for State legislators to put movie theaters into the same category/classification as Elementary Schools and State office buildings and magistrates...etc.
    The ludicrous thing is, every corner market, busy crosswalk at lunch hour, and traffic jam is the same sort of thing: fish in a barrel for any predator who opts to attack at that moment. Heavily-secured "clear" areas can work. But publicly-accessible spaces are something else entirely. Bans don't work in crowded places because they can't stop a predator who simply chooses to ignore the ban. Hell, murder's already "banned," and that hasn't stopped a damned thing.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Played stupid games, won stupid prizes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links