Open carrier at batman movie

This is a discussion on Open carrier at batman movie within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NH_Esau I completely disagree. A property owner should be able to restrict/enforce just about anything on his or her property. Appropriate attire, ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open carrier at batman movie

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I completely disagree. A property owner should be able to restrict/enforce just about anything on his or her property. Appropriate attire, language, outside food and drink, loud noises, cell phones, or even public displays of affection. If the theater owner wants to post the property against the carriage of firearms and make it mandatory that all patrons wear nothing but clear plastic body condoms, orange reflective safety vests, surgical masks and bicycle helmets, that's fine with me. Any one of those conditions, however, will convince me to take my business elsewhere.
    Your examples are intellectually immature and quite pathetic from a debate standpoint.

If this were a residence I would agree completely. However, businesses open to the public are subject to Public Accommodation. Discriminating against a person lawfully carrying a concealed firearm is exactly the same as discriminating against someone who is black, gay, or a woman. The citizen isn't doing anything illegal and it's a specifically enumerated constitutional right, so unless it's damaging the property owner it must be allowed. A pistol in a holster isn't harming anyone, but a nut job coming in through an exit armed with 4 guns and armor most certainly is.

The owner should have to demonstrate a need and apply for a permit in order to maintain a gun-free zone, otherwise it's a civil rights infringement.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Discriminating against a person lawfully carrying a concealed firearm is exactly the same as discriminating against someone who is black, gay, or a woman.
    That is quite the stretch. I bet I can leave my gun at home a lot easier than Bill Cosby can leave his skin color at home or my mother leaving her feminity at home. My gun is not an immutable characteristic. Just sayin ...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    That is quite the stretch. I bet I can leave my gun at home a lot easier than Bill Cosby can leave his skin color at home or my mother leaving her feminity at home. My gun is not an immutable characteristic. Just sayin ...
    If you think it has to be an immutable characteristic, consider religion or sexual orientation (not behavior, just the internal preference). If it's not causing a disruption or damaging the business, it must be allowed since it's a civil right. A business couldn't post, for example, a 'no-gays' sign, then expect to hit a gay who got in with criminal trespassing because he ignored the sign. Simply 'it's my property and I don't want it' is not good enough when you're a business inviting the public in.

My husband and I went to see this movie last night and he had his 9mm on him just in case...concealed though. We thought it might induce panic if someone saw him OCing.
    Last edited by JD; August 2nd, 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Will address via PM.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Since I moved away from the greater Richmond,VA area I have not been to the local movie theater(s) here. I rarely see movies in theaters. The ones I did go to had 16-20 screens and always had a local LEO there. They were all "posted" (we won't have the 30.06 signs in Va.Luckily.) and have been for many years (basically when I started carrying and looking for those signs I noticed them.).

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

My gun is not an immutable characteristic.
    Yet, in this country (USA), retaining the right to the defense of life (via the force of arms, if chosen) is. In that sense, it's a Constitutionally recognized and protected characteristic of all citizens, going with a person everywhere similar to how a person's ethnicity/background goes with them ... everywhere. Shouldn't be any different.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well I didn't read through all the posts but will agree with the facts. Yep it was legal, Yep very, very, very poor judgement and if you don't think this guy was trying to make a statement about exercising his right to OC you really need to get out more.

Armyman I did want to take a moment to address your comment. Even though a business is open to the public bottom line is it is still private property, whether it is owned by mom and pop or a corporation. Since it is private property they can set whatever rules and regulations they see fit since it is their property as it should be it is their right to do so. My right to carry a firearm does not override theirs to say what happens on their property.

If I were a business owner I would also have guidelines regarding who or what would be allowed on my property. As a consumer you have the choice not to shop there but before you start with stories of boycotts and they won't get my business be advised most don't care. Boycotts and threats don't mean much to them nor to they last long. Greed and need win out everytime and it costs the businesses very little if anything.

Here is a condensed list of persons, places and things that are anti gun should you choose to avoid them though.

Anti-gun Companies, Organizations, Media And Celebrities - Gun Owners Of America
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    If you think it has to be an immutable characteristic, consider religion or sexual orientation (not behavior, just the internal preference). If it's not causing a disruption or damaging the business, it must be allowed since it's a civil right. A business couldn't post, for example, a 'no-gays' sign, then expect to hit a gay who got in with criminal trespassing because he ignored the sign. Simply 'it's my property and I don't want it' is not good enough when you're a business inviting the public in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yet, in this country (USA), retaining the right to the defense of life (via the force of arms, if chosen) is. In that sense, it's a Constitutionally recognized and protected characteristic of all citizens, going with a person everywhere similar to how a person's ethnicity/background goes with them ... everywhere. Shouldn't be any different.
    The 2A tells government what it cannot do vis-a-vis weapons. It does not directly apply to private enterprises. If you don't like the company's policies, don't patronize it. If enough folks feel as you do, the enterprise will fade away.
    Pistology likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The 2A tells government what it cannot do vis-a-vis weapons. It does not directly apply to private enterprises. If you don't like the company's policies, don't patronize it. If enough folks feel as you do, the enterprise will fade away.
    The 2A applies to private enterprises. Private businesses subject to Public Accommodation are not immune, sovereign or exempt from regulation limiting discrimination.

I advised them they might want to make the sign more visible, he said.

Finally, someone with some smarts!
    Yep, this will really help prevent these well-planned, devious crimes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The 2A tells government what it cannot do vis-a-vis weapons.
    The 2A acknowledges and guarantees the People shall retain their right to bear arms. It doesn't say that only governing hirelings are to keep their hands off; rather, it says simply that the right shall not be infringed.

But side-by-side with the 2A are basic property rights, including the right of property owners to control who's on their property. The 2A ensures the People have every right to be armed but, co-equal with that, property rights ensures that if someone doesn't want you on his or her property, then they have every right to have you leave. None of which gives them the right to disarm you. In practice, this should mean, it seems to me, that laws claiming criminality for bearing arms someplace are illegal and that the only allowable remedy should be ejection. Of course, that isn't what we've allowed this morass (of infringement) to become.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 3rd, 2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
    Pistology likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

While I support OC 100% and encourage everyone to protect their rights. I would not OC at a Batman movie right now.
    I would think most would see it as bad taste and CC.
    Problem with rights and freedom some do dumb stuff with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    While I support OC 100% and encourage everyone to protect their rights. I would not OC at a Batman movie right now.
    I would think most would see it as bad taste and CC.
    Problem with rights and freedom some do dumb stuff with them.
    Recent Car Crash Stories | abc7.com

Guess we should start disguising our cars for good taste, too. ....The tool, itself, shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Recent Car Crash Stories | abc7.com

Guess we should start disguising our cars for good taste, too. ....The tool, itself, shouldn't be an issue.
    I kind of see it like this I ride a Motorcycle and person some of us know was killed on his bike. we chose not to ride to the funnel. While it would not have been wrong to do so and he may have wanted it. The last thing his family wanted to look at that day was motorcycles.
    Some time something can be 100% within you rights may even be a good idea to many and still be the wrong thing to do at that time.
    We did a ride to say good by a few days latter.
    I will Both CC and OC my weapons , I will not allow Harassment from LEO to stop me , I will however apply some level on judgement to things like this.
    Respect has many lanes not just my point of view.
    If you have ever read any of my post on the subject of OC you would know this is a diversion from what many would expect from me.
    Adameeski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I advised them they might want to make the sign more visible, he said.

Finally, someone with some smarts!
    Yep, this will really help prevent these well-planned, devious crimes.
    That's true. More guns = less crime. Would you care for a citation on that or shale I just post a smiley?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links