My Father

My Father

This is a discussion on My Father within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While most people can say, "My father taught me to shoot" and "My father took me hunting my first time," I can't say that. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: My Father

My Father

While most people can say, "My father taught me to shoot" and "My father took me hunting my first time," I can't say that. I have OC'd for years now, but more recently since January this year due to Gov. Walker's common decency. I abstained from OCing when I visited my parents house, since my mother was a manager at a natural foods hippie coop, and my father was a teacher for 42 years. I forgot and out of habit, loaded, racked and holstered my pistol and went to visit with him on the porch.

In the discussion that ensued, he told me that guns are unneccessary and that a civil society wouldn't use guns, and the thing that pissed me off the most...he claimed that "having guns in the house kills kids." Now this pisses me off for a very good reason.

My father has been able to use the cover of the public school system and his public figure status in the small town he lives in to avoid prosecution for child abuse, neglect, and various other terrible things he did to me and my 2 younger brothers. A particular episode I remember that dragged on for weeks after is this: My older brother and I were playing in the basement, we were about 7 and 9. He found above a workbench on 2 nails a 20 ga pump shotgun. He pulled it down, said "Look at me," and pulled the trigger. It clicked . I pissed my pants almost immediately. After I calmed down, I kicked the crap out of him and played with it myself, playing soldier, hunter, all the kid games. This went on for months that summer, he would leave to go hide in his office at school, my mother would go to the city 15 miles away for groceries (conveniently before we woke up) not to return until well after lunch leaving only me and my older brother to take care of our two mentally handicapped younger brothers. As soon as she was gone we would run to the basement to get the shotgun and go outside and stuff gravel pine needles and other various things to watch them puff out the muzzle when we pulled the trigger. One day our neighbor must have seen us and my dad came home and caught us. Before I knew what was happening I was being beaten with it bare ass for what must have been a good 5 minutes. My brother only got one whack. He made us each take an end, me being ordered to take the muzzle end and hold it against my stomach and carry it to the garage where he broke the stock off and bent the barrel in the vise. He proceeded after that to hit me some more. I had to crawl to my room so he could lock me in. I wasn't fed until the following night. It was his negligence that almost got me killed. For a few weeks I was randomly "spanked" for playing with a gun. The only exposure I had ever had to guns before that was when I watched my dad shoot rabbits with a very expensive looking bolt action rifle for the simple offense of passing through the yard. They would explode. He loved the attention when we cheered. He tells me that hunting is "barbaric."

I suppose one could argue in his defense saying he realized the error of his ways, but you'd have to know him on the level I do and I can fully realize the terror of being a defenseless child living under his reign. I should also add that I am adopted. He has NEVER treated his own blood relation this way.

He tells me that he objects to me owning firearms since I have two children of my own. I have taught them firearm safety since DAY ONE. They are 4 and 2 and you could not get them to touch a firearm. They scream and tell on anybody who tries, I've duped my wifes mother and sister into baiting them so I could see how they react. What's the danger of a locked unloaded firearm in a place that's inaccessable to children, and known to be off-limits? How do I deal with this idiot? I know I'm bound to run into a more vocal trouble maker in public...

VIP Member
    Hey man,

I am really sorry you went through this and are still going through it. Just know that you have your own family now and you are your own man.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I stopped going through it when I was 8. I broke a chair over him and beat him with the leg of it until he was nearly in a coma.

Other than that, how was the visit?
    CJM, Vaquero 45, Brad426 and 1 others like this.

I can understand why he wouldn't want you to own a firearm. I'd be afraid too if I were him! ;-)
    FLArmadillo and LaDanah26 like this.

Sorry to hear that man, My experience with my dad was 180 degrees different. It shouldn't matter but was this your biological dad or step dad?

VIP Member
    Your "dad" sounds like a fool best left to be avoided.
    I don't think I'd go see him on his death bed if it were my "dad"
    I would be very wary about him and your kids being left together, for one thing.
    For another, I'd be worried what he may say to the authorities should you and him get into anymore heated discusions about firearms.
    Good luck, and try to be the Dad he never was.
    Last edited by oneshot; July 31st, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Excuse me for being blunt but that is my nature. Why the hell do you even maintain a relationship with someone who seems mentally unstable and in fact violently dangerous? Why go visit? Why have that in your life at all? Why have it around your children in any way?

Distance yourself and your family from this person. He isn't a good influence. He could only be a bad influence on your children and a burden on your mental health.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    he told me that guns are unneccessary and that a civil society wouldn't use guns
    Too bad were not living in a civil society, eh?
    Grantspastor likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Excuse me for being blunt but that is my nature. Why the hell do you even maintain a relationship with someone who seems mentally unstable and in fact violently dangerous? Why go visit? Why have that in your life at all? Why have it around your children in any way?

Distance yourself and your family from this person. He isn't a good influence. He could only be a bad influence on your children and a burden on your mental health.
    This pretty much answers your question for you. You don't deal with him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I feel your pain. I had an abusive father as well. i have chosen as an adult to cut off contact with him for the most part. I look at my own son and wonder how in the world anyone could treat a child as badly as some do. I'm amazed you still have contact after all that you went through.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Abe Lincoln said the only thing that should EVER bring grown children back home to visit their parents isn't guilt or religious obligation...it's love. Go out & find a good Poppa who lost his son to drugs, or to violence, or to gangs, or to combat, or to prison, or to a drunk driver and LOVE HIM LIKE HE'S YOUR VERY OWN! Don't miss the magic father/son relationship just because your bio-dad is a pitiful sicko. Do this and trust me, it will change both of your lives...FOREVER. It also gives your kids the GREAtest GIFT possible, a real-live Grandpa!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    He tells me that he objects to me owning firearms since I have two children of my own. How do I deal with this idiot? I know I'm bound to run into a more vocal trouble maker in public...
    Did he just tell you his opinion out of nowhere? If so, tell him you weren't asking, if he keeps on preaching just nod your head and say "yup, uhuh, sure" until he shuts up. At least, that's how I deal with idiots that are so sure of themselves.

Best of luck, I'd send him a card!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sorry to hear that. Just keep on being the parent you want to be and how you think it should be.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links