First time open carrying- Walmart

This is a discussion on First time open carrying- Walmart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided I wanted to open carry sometimes, I was driving around while open carrying my M&P9 and decided I wanted to check out sporting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: First time open carrying- Walmart

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

First time open carrying- Walmart

I decided I wanted to open carry sometimes, I was driving around while open carrying my M&P9 and decided I wanted to check out sporting goods at Walmart (no better way to waste a rainy Saturday). Thought I'd share my experience.

I know some Walmarts allow it, others don't. I have never seen 1 person in my city open carry... EVER, so I was slightly nervous of course. I called them up and asked to speak to a manager, I asked if they allowed open carry. He said "we don't have any signs posted, so yes we do". (wrote down his name in case I had any troubles) Spent a good 30 minutes in there looking at ammo/gun supplies/and bikes for me and the wife, other than a few small kids I don't think anyone even noticed (from what I could tell).

I used a Blackhawk OWB holster w/spare mag pouch (yes make fun of my Blackhawk if you must, but it's a good holster for cheap). My voice recorder fits perfectly in the spare mag pouch, so I turn it on before I go anywhere (just in case).

Overall a very good experience, I plan on open carrying more often, and finding which businesses do and do not allow it.
    carracer, Ionracas and TN_Mike like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I decided I wanted to open carry sometimes, I was driving around while open carrying my M&P9 and decided I wanted to check out sporting goods at Walmart (no better way to waste a rainy Saturday). Thought I'd share my experience.

I know some Walmarts allow it, others don't. I have never seen 1 person in my city open carry... EVER, so I was slightly nervous of course. I called them up and asked to speak to a manager, I asked if they allowed open carry. He said "we don't have any signs posted, so yes we do". (wrote down his name in case I had any troubles) Spent a good 30 minutes in there looking at ammo/gun supplies/and bikes for me and the wife, other than a few small kids I don't think anyone even noticed (from what I could tell).

I used a Blackhawk OWB holster w/spare mag pouch (yes make fun of my Blackhawk if you must, but it's a good holster for cheap). My voice recorder fits perfectly in the spare mag pouch, so I turn it on before I go anywhere (just in case).

Overall a very good experience, I plan on open carrying more often, and finding which businesses do and do not allow it.
    Actually Walmart official policy is that they follow the gun laws of the state the store is located in. In IL no guns are allowed, in VA where I live, CC or OC are both legal so either is excepted. In places like FL and TX CC would be accepted, but OC would not.
    carracer and Burns like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually Walmart official policy is that they follow the gun laws of the state the store is located in. In IL no guns are allowed, in VA where I live, CC or OC are both legal so either is excepted. In places like FL and TX CC would be accepted, but OC would not.
    Didn't know that, glad they changed their policy.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Burns from one that open carried for years before we got CC. I paid a high price a few times . Good luck with it. Thank you for adding one more voice to our rights.
    It would be wise to read up on statements made by the C.O.P in areas you plan to carry. Some made it clear how they will deal with you.
    The firsttime you are nailed to the ground from behind is a shocker.. My advise if it happens to you don't move just let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Burns from one that open carried for years before we got CC. I paid a high price a few times . Good luck with it. Thank you for adding one more voice to our rights.
    It would be wise to read up on statements made by the C.O.P in areas you plan to carry. Some made it clear how they will deal with you.
    The firsttime you are nailed to the ground from behind is a shocker.. My advise if it happens to you don't move just let it happen.
    I only plan on open carrying when I'm doing stuff like fishing/hiking/biking. I wanted the experience of OC'ing into a store but I don't plan on doing it much unless I need to run into a store for something last minute.

I would never think of resisting at all if it's an officer, I've always been very cooperative with them. They can do what they want, and if it's bad enough, my lawyer will do what he does best.

I have never OC'd, but my husband does it a LOT. It's not often that people notice, but when they do notice, they usually think he's a LEO. This one time, we were out shopping, and the cashier said "Oh my gosh, I saw your gun and thought I was going to be robbed!" My husband assured her that he was not going to rob her, and then I chimed in with "Usually people think he's a cop", and she was like "Wait...if you're not a cop, then...what's that gun for?" I didn't realize I had frightened the poor girl twice! I think we just need more people who OC so that we can get people used to seeing guns. I hate that so many people fear something that could protect them... Also, just my opinion, if you're going to OC, please dress like a decent person! I've seen so many people walking around with guns and no gun belt or just clipped to the side of their sweatpants. It really just makes them look like "thugs"....end rant.
    TN_Mike and Spidey2011 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    This is what worries me most. A violent take down or even just being jerked strongly in the wrong way could cause me severe injuries. I have a large amount of metal holding my spine together and doubt it would hold up to much abuse.

Michael

Glad that you had a posative experience. I honestly feel that if someone is doing this right, it can be a positive light for us. I know there are a lot of people who think their CC/OC is their business, I agree for the most part but its a good oppurtunity to educate the unknowing. Not everyone is ignorant/indifferent because they are antis.

Congrats on taking that step. Hoping someday Ill work up to it.

By the way hows the new AR treating you? They have the same one at my range/store and Im planning on putting it on layaway.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Glad that you had a posative experience. I honestly feel that if someone is doing this right, it can be a positive light for us. I know there are a lot of people who think their CC/OC is their business, I agree for the most part but its a good oppurtunity to educate the unknowing. Not everyone is ognorant because they are antis.

Congrats on taking that step. Hoping someday Ill work up to it.

By the way hows the new AR treating you? They have the same one at my range/store and Im planning on putting it on layaway.
    Haven't shot it yet, still need to get a rear sight and ammo first, but I'm very happy with it. If I were you I would definitely consider it if you're not looking to spend a lot of money on a Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Haven't shot it yet, still need to get a rear sight and ammo first, but I'm very happy with it. If I were you I would definitely consider it if you're not looking to spend a lot of money on a Colt.
    As a Connecticut native Id love to support the home team but one of the guys at the range said the Palmetto is MilSpec and a great AR for the money. This one is $709 without the rear so a little more than yours but I cant pass on the layaway and that it will be a drive away when paid off.
    Burns likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Glad it went well for you. I wish we had OC in Florida. I'd do it when convenient.

Did you take a long exhale when you got back in your car?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Nice!!!
    I like to remain concealed. But there is a group that does the open carry at Starbucks then Noodles in Pewaukee. They have coffee then lunch. I have seen them 3 or 4 times now. I sometimes OC when walking dog or out on my land ( not hunting).
    carracer likes this.

Glad you had a good experience. I've only ever really had good OC experiences, never had a bad one. But, OC is pretty common where I live.

Keep being a good OC ambassador.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    Did you take a long exhale when you got back in your car?
    Pretty much :)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I wonder if/when their official policy was changed, or when I was asked to leave a Walmart in Midlothian,Va(Hull Street Rd.) for OC many years ago if that Walmart just wasn't acting in accordance with policy. (I haven't OC in sometime now.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links