Question for Open Carriers... - Page 4

Question for Open Carriers...

This is a discussion on Question for Open Carriers... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Speaking of disarming a cop... dumb ass.jpg...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Question for Open Carriers...

Speaking of disarming a cop...

dumb ass.jpg

If it was a Kydex holster, it probably had retention. I don't own many kydex holsters, but all the ones I do own require a fair amount of force to remove them. I'd venture to say that the average person isn't going to be expecting it to be that secure, giving the OC'er enough time to react.

IMO, the serpa is absolutely NOT a good idea for OC. The release is positioned so that it's triggered by the index finger in a normal drawstroke. I think it was designed more to keep it from bouncing out than it was to protect against gun grabs.

Serpa is a good choice.I oc every day using a serpa.
    carracer and Bad Bob like this.

I carry a S&W M&P .45
    I like the Blackhawk Level 2 serpa..

I never wore a retention holster, to keep someone from stealing / grabbing my gun. No one gets that close to me, nor would they. I carried with a retention holster, because if someone was stupid enough to try, I didn't want the gun to accidentally fall out when I was kicking his tailend.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    but like you I lack to see a need for carrying in a highly populated location
    Hold on a minute....WHAT?????

Soooooo, you don't carry just because your around a lot of people?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I OC but always have a second gun in the weak side pocket concealed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

a good quality leather holster will have enough retention by itself to slow down the would be thief enough to make him wish he had a dental plan, then you add in cant and most likely you're not getting it out. I don't have a single rentention holster (blackhawk serpa) for my weapons and I OC often. If one is that oblivious to their surroundings then maybe they shouldn't be carrying at all.

I cc a lot too when it's a place that isn't convienient to OC or it's seen as taboo.

It's my right, it's not legal or illegal, it's my right and I will exercise it just like a lot of these idiots that exercise their second amendment rights.

I firmly believe that if you choose to open carry, it is absolutely your legal and moral responsibility to carry safely. That means AT LEAST a level II holster, even level III. Retention is a must. JMO
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ View Post
    I firmly believe that if you choose to open carry, it is absolutely your legal and moral responsibility to carry safely. That means AT LEAST a level II holster, even level III. Retention is a must. JMO
    A private law abiding citizen should have a legal responsibility to prevent criminals from committing crimes?

Michael

Maine_Expat, I'd actually like to know whats on that card? care to share that info?

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

why would you make it easier for someone to grab your weapon? You can say all you want that you can't be responsible for criminals committing crimes but why would you make it easier for them to do so?

I actually did a little experiment with a friend of mine who carried in a holster without active retention. It was exactly the situation where someone is in line behind you and they grab your gun. No matter the cant, no matter how tight the leather or kydex was, I was able to remove his weapon in one fail swoop and had it pointed at him before he could even turn around to face me. Had that holster had an active retention device, he would have at least had a chance to stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ View Post
    why would you make it easier for someone to grab your weapon? You can say all you want that you can't be responsible for criminals committing crimes but why would you make it easier for them to do so?

I actually did a little experiment with a friend of mine who carried in a holster without active retention. It was exactly the situation where someone is in line behind you and they grab your gun. No matter the cant, no matter how tight the leather or kydex was, I was able to remove his weapon in one fail swoop and had it pointed at him before he could even turn around to face me. Had that holster had an active retention device, he would have at least had a chance to stop me.
    I was responding to the statement you made that a person had a legal responsibility to prevent theft.
    Originally Posted by FUZZ
    When Oklahoma passed our open carry law they almost made retention holsters a legal responsibility. Had that not been struck from the final version anyone carrying a concealed weapon that became accidentally exposed would be subject to arrest if not using a retention holster. A moral responsibility maybe. A legal responsibility to prevent crimes, no way.

Michael

Would you support a law mandating that you locked your car, or mandating under penalty that you locked your house door? What about a law requiring one to chain his wallet to his belt to reduce the chance of being pickpocketed?

If I open carry one of my revolvers I carry in a non retention holster that is hip forward. My arm is the retention. If I open carry a Glock I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa slightly hip forward. Don't fool yourselves. Retention holsters that are your only retention are false hope. Your best retention is situational awareness and appropriate open carry.
    mlr1m and FTG-05 like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links