DROP-RIG ok for OC? - Page 2

DROP-RIG ok for OC?

This is a discussion on DROP-RIG ok for OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use mine while I'm hunting because of my heavy coat. That's it. Retention sucks on a thigh rig....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: DROP-RIG ok for OC?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I use mine while I'm hunting because of my heavy coat. That's it. Retention sucks on a thigh rig.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I think what people are saying about retention on a thigh holster is more about trying to retain the gun in a fight than the holster's retention. I use a Safariland ALS, the holster's retention is no different than my duty holster on my belt. The difference is that the position and location of the gun make it harder for the wearer to defend against a gun grab.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

A drop leg was designed for military use to clear our body armor. I am in the military and I dont even use a drop leg holster. I use the serpa jacket duty slot holster to lower my holster down low enough to clear my body armor. Drop legs are cumbersome and shift A LOT. As stated above, you will notice the weight of your gun dramatically. While running the drop leg swings around and moves so it is hard to keep it in a consistent location to get a perfect draw. I used a drop leg for training a few times but when I discovered the serpa jacket holster I immediately switched to that. Youwant to have your holster as close to you as possible so you can draw quicker, which is why when military and LEO carry with drop legs/ body armor they are as high up on the thigh as possible. If you are walking around with a drop leg in the mall just because you can, I will take a picture of you and laugh. Promise.

edit- As far as retention... I dont know what anyone is talking about... our safarilands retain our weapons fine... both holding the m9 in the holster and with being able to defend off anyone attempting to take our weapon away.

Hiking (to stay below the pack belt) and possibly tractor driving (if I'm twisting around to the right side in the seat a lot) are the only times I find a drop leg holster ti be practical.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker7 View Post
    My deal is since I was convicted of a Class C felony couple years ago..
    .......... with any Felony Conviction it's illegal for you to be in possession of a firearm without a court ordered restoration of your 2nd amendment rights.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Yea I know..
    Embarrasing...Funny I can buy any weapon in the shop, but restricted on how I carry or own it..

My bad!

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't yet, I would invest the time and cash to talk with an attorney. Hopefully you can get that off your record and put it in your past. Good luck
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I just bought a holster from comptac that will convert from a belt to a drop holster. Only reason I intend to use the drop is backpacking. That way the gun is clear of the straps on the pack.

I wore the belt holster once and my backpack couldn't distribute weight properly. Outside of this it will not be used.

Besides that I have a hunting style rig which looks far less tactical. As a result it will probably see more use.

I live in an OC state, but I never open carry. I really don't want anyone knowing I am armed. I have a drop rig that I use in classes, and at the range. I know, I know -------- you will do under stress what you do in practice, but I practice both. The drop rig gets it out of the way and makes transitions easier when working with a carbine and a loaded belt.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    .......... with any Felony Conviction it's illegal for you to be in possession of a firearm without a court ordered restoration of your 2nd amendment rights.
    Well, yea that's the crazy thing, it was a non-violent theft, just happened to end up over $500 hence the freakin felony.
    So when the SIS probation ended in January of 2012 I figured I'd see if this SIS type of conviction was as I was told.
    Sure enough I went to my favorite shop & bought a new S&W M&P .45 no problem...Passed NCIS no isseues or "delay"..

Paid for & took the CCW classes (My 3rd CCW), and was shocked to find out that it's Missouri that still holds that conviction against me..
    Hell I'm not looking for a gunfight, had plenty of that in Iraq...

So yea, I'll just tough it out..
    PD says here I can carry it in a vehicle stashed between the seats, as long as an LEO can see it if/when I tell them where it is before they find it..
    Kinds like asking a cop to see if I have any warrants..LOL

Carry guns are meant to be convenient and comforting not comfortable. That being said, I think a holster like that will give you some unwanted attention, but it is your call.

VIP Member
    Slidewayz240. Welcome to the forum.

In regards to retention. Yes a quality drop leg holster will give the user the same retention, for the firearm, as if they were wearing the same model but in a belt holster. What I was referring to is many people wear this type holster far to low on their leg and even when worn properly if someone manages to grab or bear hug you around the waist or thighs you could/would be cut off from drawing your weapon or they could feasibly get the weapon out.

Firearms retention from a simple gun grab would be the same as a belt holster and again a quality drop leg, like a Safariland, would do just fine.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I know a guy that is a little on the heavy side, and when he carries a pistol (pretty much just hunting), he uses a drop leg holster. Any type of belt holster just jabs him too bad.

I will admit, if I saw someone walking around town with one, I'd be laughing my butt off.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Slidewayz240. Welcome to the forum.

In regards to retention. Yes a quality drop leg holster will give the user the same retention, for the firearm, as if they were wearing the same model but in a belt holster. What I was referring to is many people wear this type holster far to low on their leg and even when worn properly if someone manages to grab or bear hug you around the waist or thighs you could/would be cut off from drawing your weapon or they could feasibly get the weapon out.

Firearms retention from a simple gun grab would be the same as a belt holster and again a quality drop leg, like a Safariland, would do just fine.
    I understand, but at the same time, if they are bear hugging me... the likely hood of them grabbing my weapon while I am also trying to fight them off is slim to none. As to the OP and I guess anyone that is serious about firearms training. No matter what rig you decide to carry with (please dont get a drop leg), on top of your firearms training, see if you can find firearms retention classes.

Administrator
    You answered "YES" to the NICS question:
    Have you ever been convicted of a felony in any court for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year, even if you recieved a shorter sentence including probation?

and you got your firearm without delay?

Interesting.
    Bark'n and OldMick like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links