DROP-RIG ok for OC? - Page 3

DROP-RIG ok for OC?

This is a discussion on DROP-RIG ok for OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd laugh uncontrollably... Sent from my palm device...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: DROP-RIG ok for OC?

I'd laugh uncontrollably...

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You answered "YES" to the NICS question:
    Have you ever been convicted of a felony in any court for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year, even if you recieved a shorter sentence including probation?

and you got your firearm without delay?

Interesting.
    Interesting, indeed.

The federal offense of possession of a firearm by a felon is defined by statute, Title 18, United States Code, Section 922(g)(1). The offense is a felony. The law provides the following:

It shall be unlawful for any person-

(1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

See 18 USC 922(g).
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    ^^^ THIS! I DO on occasion carry with a drop-leg, but those rare times are only when I'm out hiking in the mountains with a full pack. It's hard to carry waist level when you have a pack with a waist support/belt.
    I've actually been considering getting a drop holster for camping and other "woods" carry. How practical is it for outdoor carry? Do you get funny looks outdoors like you would if you carried it in town, or is it more socially acceptable if you're in the 'wild'?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker7 View Post
    Yea I know..
    Embarrasing...Funny I can buy any weapon in the shop, but restricted on how I carry or own it..

My bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker7 View Post
    Well, yea that's the crazy thing, it was a non-violent theft, just happened to end up over $500 hence the freakin felony.
    So when the SIS probation ended in January of 2012 I figured I'd see if this SIS type of conviction was as I was told.
    Sure enough I went to my favorite shop & bought a new S&W M&P .45 no problem...Passed NCIS no isseues or "delay"..

Paid for & took the CCW classes (My 3rd CCW), and was shocked to find out that it's Missouri that still holds that conviction against me..
    Hell I'm not looking for a gunfight, had plenty of that in Iraq...

So yea, I'll just tough it out..
    PD says here I can carry it in a vehicle stashed between the seats, as long as an LEO can see it if/when I tell them where it is before they find it..
    Kinds like asking a cop to see if I have any warrants..LOL
    So if you're a felon, who by law can't own, buy or possess a firearm much less become a police officer, why do you have a KC Police TRT avatar??????

Have you ever been convicted of a felony in any court for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year, even if you recieved a shorter sentence including probation?

Interesting.
    Yes indeed, lying on a 4473 will get you some jail time. If he answered yes, by law, the sale has to be shut down immediately, no call into NICS would even be completed. I'm gonna throw my troll flag up until there is some clarification here.

hello hello hello, so having a drop rig is bad, i never liked them, they are an unruely piece of equipment that have very specific use and not much else.

here is my quandry, i OC a P220R in a paddle type holster and while its nice and good and all, i find it uncomfortable to wear with light jackets, bunches up at the belt line and is impossible to keep things in my right jacket pocket. now ive found that if i can lower the pistol about three inches it would clear the hem of my jacket and all would be well. so the problem is all these "drop leg" things, the serpa safari pastic things they stick out too far, getting hung up on this and that and really look too tacticool for anything practicool.

this is more along my lines of thinking
    Secure your Safariland 6004 for Mid-Ride
    SafarilandMain.jpg
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    A "drop rig" is a very mission specific type holster that IMHO, and is not well suited to everyday OC use for civilians or even uniformed LEO's. Another valid concern anytime you are OC (either civilian or LEO) is weapon retention. A drop rig is much more difficult to defend from a gun grab than a belt holster with a level 1 or 2 retention device.

You may be slipping through the cracks by not getting snagged by NICS during a gun purchase, but if you've been convicted of a felony, any type of felony (class A,B,C, D,XYZ) you are prohibited from having a firearm. End of story.

Unless you have made a petition to the federal government to have your gun rights restored, you are considered to be a felon in possession of a firearm. You may have a suspended imposition, but to my limited knowledge that is still a conviction.

You may be getting poor information from police officers who have told you otherwise, but the federal regulations are quite clear on the matter. Your best bet is to consult with a actual attorney instead of police officers or any other person.

The good thing is that there is an actual procedure to have your gun rights reinstated if you are a convicted felon. It is handled on a case by case basis though, and I'm not sure if there is an appeals process if they deny reinstatement of your rights. The same goes for voting. A felon can petition the government to have their voting rights reinstated.

Again, just because you haven't been gigged by NICS check for purchasing a firearm does not mean you are not in violation of federal law. SNAFU's happen all the time.

If you value your freedom, and do not wish to spend 5 or 10 years as a guest in Club Fed, I would urge you to consider consulting with a competent firearms attorney and know for sure where you stand. For me, a couple hundred dollars investment with an attorney is much more palatable than a decade in prison.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Interesting.
    Yea this.

...besides, I don't understand why anyone would willingly wear a drop rig if they had any other choice. That thigh strap is uncomfortable after about 25 seconds.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Since he posted this last August, I'm hoping he figured out drop-rig holsters aren't a good choice and got his felony issues worked out.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

What the...

I didn't even notice.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member
    Having competed in 3 gun and steel challenge matches I found drawing from a belt holster to be faster. The drop leg is mostly for offensive use, not for quick self defense. It does look tacticool though but not very practical for civilian self defense use.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Grrrrr......I was gonna add my .02 to this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links