DROP-RIG ok for OC?

This is a discussion on DROP-RIG ok for OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do ya think? Considering a Blackhawk rig for my M/P .45.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: DROP-RIG ok for OC?

Exclamation DROP-RIG ok for OC?

What do ya think?

Considering a Blackhawk rig for my M/P .45......

2. Remove Ads

I'm not going to say it isn't OK for OC but I will tell you that you will be though of as a goof ball. I don't know if you know who Geko45 was but that is the type of person I think of when I see someone wearing a drop rig and they are obviously a civilian.

DoodiePants Blog Archive Gecko45 - The Legend of the Mall Ninja - DoodiePants
    Last edited by TN_Mike; August 16th, 2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Doesn't carrying the weapon low like that increase the perceived weight? For me the higher I carry the less I notice the weight of the gun.

Michael
    TN_Mike and CJM like this.

There are places that a drop leg holster may work but IMHO OC isn't one ,every step you will feel the gun weight inertia and a lot of times if the gun is on your hip some people may not notice but a gun on your thigh will get just about everyones attention
    Snatale42 and thephanatik like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    (IMHO)
    Tanker7 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

The holster debate can be as convoluted as the caliber argument. IMHO, I prefer a quality belt side holster for OC. They are more stable , and hold tight. Belt side can be difficult for OC if you live in the north, but not impossible . When I did OC, I carried a Glock 21sf in a Black Hawk Serpa.

VIP Member
    First welcome to the forum.

A drop leg holster was designed with one intended purpose in mind. In a military or tactical enviroment the weapon was carried below the level of tactical armor to allow easier access. I wear one on occasion but not as an everyday carry rig there are simply better choices.

The downside is even when worn properly they do not do well when seated, they are very difficult to draw from while seated in a vehicle, most people wear them far to low because of the cool factor which slows down the drawstroke and you are constantly pulling down your pantleg on the holster side because you simply can't keep it from riding up. Protecting your weapon while wearing a drop leg holster can prove to be damn near impossible due to the fact that an aggressor can simply bear hug you around the waist and he is now in effect between you and your weapon.

So in answer to your question is it OK? Sure go with whatever floats your boat but there are much better choices for OC which will not make you look like Gecko 45.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

A drop leg holster was designed with one intended purpose in mind. In a military or tactical enviroment the weapon was carried below the level of tactical armor to allow easier access. I wear one on occasion but not as an everyday carry rig there are simply better choices.

The downside is even when worn properly they do not do well when seated, they are very difficult to draw from while seated in a vehicle, most people wear them far to low because of the cool factor which slows down the drawstroke and you are constantly pulling down your pantleg on the holster side because you simply can't keep it from riding up. Protecting your weapon while wearing a drop leg holster can prove to be damn near impossible due to the fact that an aggressor can simply bear hug you around the waist and he is now in effect between you and your weapon.

So in answer to your question is it OK? Sure go with whatever floats your boat but there are much better choices for OC which will not make you look like Gecko 45.
    All this. They're not especially comfortable, either. The only time I can think of where it would make sense for a civilian to wear one is if you're wearing a bulky parka or something and need quick access for whatever reason. (NOTE: walking around in the mall is not a good reason.)

Plus, don't be That Guy. You will just reinforce that attitudes of all the anti-OC people that OCers are seeking attention.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

VIP Member
    I have a drop holster and really like it, for a few things, at work, or at the range. I would never choose it for everyday OC. As others have said, there are much better options.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

GH
    Unless you're Military or SWAT there really is no need for a drop holster. In my opinion they're not as efficient as a belt holster & seem to carry funny. In the military normally your main weapon is a rifle/carbine. The pistol is only a backup. Those who use crew-served weapons (mortars, machine guns) will also wear a pistol on a drop rig below their body armor. Some will have a slanted cross-draw chest rig on their tactical vest over the armor & that seems to be a bit better.

I have to admit - they're "cool looking" though, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Sure. If you are wearing body armor and carrying a rifle. Not just a "second chance" type vest either. Military grade body armor. The heavy stuff. Otherwise a drop leg holster is reserved for mall ninja's and wannabe's. Why would you want your gun way down there floppin around? Other than for impressing kids who think it looks cool.

Welcome to the forum, and IMO, keep the gun up where you can protect it.
    Tanker7 likes this.

I don't OC and probably never will unless in a hunting environment, but my answer to your question, I'd say, NO. IMO, it looks to "tactical" to be practical.... Also my opinion. If I saw someone carrying that way in public, I would think that they were in law enforcement or something to that affect; if they were in plain clothes and obviously not law enforcement, I would be kinda nervous and weary of the individual's judgment for carrying a firearm that way in public. Just a tad unorthodox and "hey look at me, ain't I cool" IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

^^^ THIS! I DO on occasion carry with a drop-leg, but those rare times are only when I'm out hiking in the mountains with a full pack. It's hard to carry waist level when you have a pack with a waist support/belt.
    Once likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I think I'd have to laugh at someone carrying that way around town.
    thephanatik, TN_Mike, CJM and 5 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have that holster for use with my FNP with a weapon light, but only for home SHTF scenario. It really is too "mall ninja" to wear in public. I also think it would be a pain if you were getting in and out of a vehicle.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links