Georgia to Florida

This is a discussion on Georgia to Florida within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings fellow enthusiasts, I will be moving from Georgia to Florida soon and I wanted to know what I need to do, if anything, about ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MattInFla

Thread: Georgia to Florida

Georgia to Florida

Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

I will be moving from Georgia to Florida soon and I wanted to know what I need to do, if anything, about my CCW. I know that Florida recognizes Georgia permits but what does that mean exactly? Will my current permit be valid until it's expiration date, can I transfer straight into a Florida permit? I just want to make sure I follow all the proper laws. I called a Sherrif's office in Florida but they weren't much help. If anyone can help with factual knowledge and perhaps even a link to legal ink it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome, sorry I can't help you ( being up north) but I plan to get a Florida permit. Florida is a gun friendly state.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jsant View Post
    Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

I will be moving from Georgia to Florida soon and I wanted to know what I need to do, if anything, about my CCW. I know that Florida recognizes Georgia permits but what does that mean exactly? Will my current permit be valid until it's expiration date, can I transfer straight into a Florida permit? I just want to make sure I follow all the proper laws. I called a Sherrif's office in Florida but they weren't much help. If anyone can help with factual knowledge and perhaps even a link to legal ink it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    Florida does not normally recognize non-resident permits from other states, but there is a specific exception for people who hold out-of-state CCW licenses who move to Florida.

Your Georgia CCW will be considered valid for concealed carry of a firearm in Florida for a period of 90 days after you establish legal residence in Florida. The relevant statute is F.S. 790.015:

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:
    (a) Registering to vote;
    (b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
    (c) Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state,
    the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Florida's CWFL program can be found here: Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Welcome in advance to Florida. I'd suggest you look for a copy of "Florida Firearms" by Jon Gutmacher. It's pretty much the authoritative work on gun laws in Florida. Many gun shops carry it, or you can get it from his website: http://floridafirearmslaw.com/
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks MattInFla!!! If you're in the Tampa area maybe we can go to the range one day ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Welcome, sorry I can't help you ( being up north) but I plan to get a Florida permit. Florida is a gun friendly state.
    Thanks for the welcome.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I called a Sherrif's office in Florida but they weren't much help."

That doesn't suprise me a bit. A lot of LEOs aren't really up on CC laws, reciprocy, etc.

And Matt nailed it in his response: GA good until 90 days (the quoted time it takes to get FL CWFL) after "establishing" residency.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome from Orlando. Matt gave you links to all you need to know.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Florida, you establish residence upon obtaining your FL driver's license. I made an appointment with the regional office in Tampa and did my application, fingerprints, background check, etc. all in one day. Two weeks later I had my license to carry. All you need is your certificate of firearms training (your current CHP will not suffice, you have to have the actual certificate). Call and make the appointment ASAP. Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Department of Licensing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As an added note, contact the FL DMV as to the requirements for getting a license. They've added a lot in the past couple of years. They'll want bills showing addresses, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Florida has a training requirement for their carry license, but Georgia does not have a training requirement. So you are going to have to take a training class that Florida recognizes as meeting their requirement.

Acceptable Training Documentation - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Acceptable Training Documentation
    Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;

any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name, your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearm Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license/certification number.
    Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:

documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;

active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;

former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL TRAINING DOCUMENTS OR OTHER RELATED MATERIALS TO THE DIVISION.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I used my Georgia hunters education to get Florida
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As an added note, contact the FL DMV as to the requirements for getting a license. They've added a lot in the past couple of years. They'll want bills showing addresses, etc.
    You are right about the paperwork requirement but it is a one time thing here in Florida to comply with Homeland Security requirements. After obtaining your D/L (which is now good for 8 years) you will be able to renew online easily. You need your birth certificate, 2 picture ID's and proof of residency which can be mortgage bills, or credit card bills mailed to your home. Also, Florida has an "Intent to Reside" which means you go to any county clerks office, fill out the Intent to Reside form and pay the $6 to file it and you have met your residency requirements for occupation licensing. Don't know if it would apply to residency for CCL, but keep it in mind if you need it.

Links