Defensive Carry banner

Refusal to show ID in Georgia update from 2008 arrest

9K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  SmokinFool 
#1 ·
#14 ·
No one has to carry ID at all times. Yes, one must present a license if engaged in some activity that requires it (driving, CC'ing in states that require a permit), but to innocently walk in public and carry ID is not a requirement. If an LEO asks you to identify yourself, a simple "I am [whomever]" is sufficient as identifucation.

#21 ·
No one has to carry ID at all times. Yes, one must present a license if engaged in some activity that requires it (driving, CC'ing in states that require a permit), but to innocently walk in public and carry ID is not a requirement. If an LEO asks you to identify yourself, a simple "I am [whomever]" is sufficient as identifucation.
"You may call me SIR".

#15 ·
Yeah but Georgia doesnt even require that... georgia requires a license to OC or CC but does not require you to produce it....

........the mere refusal to identify oneself to an officer is not a crime.” Ewumi, citing Wagner ,206 Ga.App. at 182. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit has said that Georgia’s obstruction statute only punishes providing false identity to the police (not no identity). The refusal to provide any identity is not a crime in Georgia, the Court said, and if it were, it would not be constitutional. U.S. v. Brown, 731 F.2d 1491, 1494 (11th Cir. 1984). (“We therefore must interpret the statute to prohibit only actual lies

#41 ·
Your own stupidity if you ended up in Fayetteville although there are good parts to it that I still enjoy. The thing that aggravates me the most is those that want to make an issue about simply showing ID. Like it would kill you or something. I never ask unless I'm justified in it and then if some idiot refuses I only ask once more before arresting him. I'll say it again, this anti police sentiment does not represent me or the majority of law abiding gun owners. Radical anti government internet ninjas will only hurt the cause. Get mad all you want but I'll go away when I get ready.

#42 ·
Police are no better than a law abiding citizen and they need to follow the even while enforcing it. If you don't like following the law as a LEO you may want to consider another profession.

I was assigned for work at Fort Bragg. I'm not anti-police. I'm pro-Constitutional rights and if you don't have a right to ask for my information you can be darned certain I will not provide it.

Since you want us all to stay out of "here" can you please let us know where "here" is?

#46 ·
^^^^^THIS.

I will of course comply with commands made that are required by law. After all, I am a law-abiding citizen. I would probably comply even if it's not a legal requirement if I feel it's in my best interest to do so. It's my choice to make. Whether I choose to comply with commands that I am not legally required to comply with is up to me, and I would expect an officer of the law to respect (or at least accept) my choice, and not make unnecessary (and illegal) trouble for me simply because he may see me as a "radical."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.