Kids and open carry - Page 2

Kids and open carry

This is a discussion on Kids and open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started a thread in the past that dealt with getting made by a child..... http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-year-old.html It was a different situation but there were some ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Kids and open carry

I started a thread in the past that dealt with getting made by a child.....Got made....... by a 7 year old It was a different situation but there were some good points if you want to check it out.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Read through it. Seems like just answering the questions does well with kids. My kids know I carry. When we get ready to go, we go through the routine, shoes, hat, jacket and dad puts on his gun, locks the door and we leave. They've never had any questions, never told anybody, and for the most part, it's a non issue. My wife on the other hand...I guess I'll just say that she pleads ignorance.

Anti parents beget anti children.

Raise 'em right, to avoid the potholes.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well said ccw9mm. My wife and I have come to an agreement that education and showing them safe the correct way to handle and treat firearms is better than just talking. Kids hear everything we say, repeat half or more and don't pay attention to the other parts it seems.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

An appropriate lie that may diffuse the questioning:
    "No, It's a tack hammer."

An inappropriate lie:
    "No, I'm just happy to see your Mom."
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Well said ccw9mm. My wife and I have come to an agreement that education and showing them safe the correct way to handle and treat firearms is better than just talking.
    What is shown to be non-threatening soon becomes familiar, then it becomes understood it's really non-threatening (in the hands of an upstanding citizen), and that all the talk to the contrary is just that. Kudos on the "show-me" version of parenting. Kids would be a lot better off if we all remembering such basics.

Had someone ask my granddaughter "how do you feel about your grandfather carrying a gun on him " (sarcastically of course) .... to which her response was "I'm glad he does, I know he does it so he can protect us from any harm and because he loves us so much" . The women did a 'ummmmph' and walked away. Wasn't quite the answer she was expecting to get. Normally, she'll get someone straight into a talk about guns, how she loves shooting, how good she is, etc..... she doesn't understand anyone else's reservations about them what-so-ever. As she says , "they are only dangerous if you don't know how to handle them safely".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Haha I had an anti ask my oldest daughter about it at Wally world a while ago. She said something like "Do you know what that is for?" My kid said "Boom boom bad guy gone!" Lol The lady found another checkout line.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Haha I had an anti ask my oldest daughter about it at Wally world a while ago. She said something like "Do you know what that is for?" My kid said "Boom boom bad guy gone!" Lol The lady found another checkout line.
    ... as if being 12ft from you would save her from being shot, whereas being 5ft from you was a dire threat.

Anti-logic. There's just no other word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... as if being 12ft from you would save her from being shot, whereas being 5ft from you was a dire threat.

Anti-logic. There's just no other word for it.
    Lol how about those people who cross a parking lot to ask you if youre going to shoot them? Theres some real hard thought out anti logoc

Lol how about those people who cross a parking lot to ask you if youre going to shoot them? Theres some real hard thought out anti logoc
    "I haven't decided yet."

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    For some reason, kids seem to notice a lot more than adults do. My personal theory is that, for a lot of small kids, the gun sits at eye level.

I think you handled it pretty well. I might have been tempted to tell the mother she needs to have a talk with her kid about talking to strangers.
    Some parents are perfectly willing to have their children confront total strangers about activities the parents personally do not approve of. I used to see it a lot with children confronting smokers while the parents sat back with smug looks on their faces.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I hate most other people's kids to begin with. I have a problem being interrogated by a 4 year old. My response would have been different. It's ok to lie to a child in that situation. It's none if their business!
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. I would have told the child it was none of her business and to go play. Being a child, if she ignored me, I would probably use my command voice and hopefully "mom" would get the hint that she's not supervising her child...and if hints are too subtle, I would probably ask in a very loud voice "who does this kid belong to? Teach her not to talk to strangers"....and pretty much shame the parent if she put her child up to a stupid stunt.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yesterday while at the park watching my kids, they were playing with an outspoken little girl, about 4 or 5, who suddenly and loudly noticed my carry.
    At the top of her lungs she scolded me "WHAT IS THAT IN YOUR POCKET?!" referring to my holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I hate most other people's kids to begin with. I have a problem being interrogated by a 4 year old. My response would have been different. It's ok to lie to a child in that situation. It's none if their business!
    +1 to this sooo...

IT'S WHERE I KEEP MY COOTIES , NOW GO FIND YOUR PARENTS AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS BEFORE I DUMP ALL OF THEM ON YOUR NOSY LITTLE HEAD!!"

pittypat21 likes this.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links