Kids and open carry - Page 3

Kids and open carry

This is a discussion on Kids and open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont think that kids know what cooties are anymore. Only awareness will stop the plague....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Kids and open carry

I dont think that kids know what cooties are anymore. Only awareness will stop the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I dont think that kids know what cooties are anymore. Only awareness will stop the plague.
    That's the least of the problems... they also don't know what "outside" is anymore either.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    That's the least of the problems... they also don't know what "outside" is anymore either.
    I noticed that the other day. It was 75 and crisp and all i heard at the park was the sound of some kid playing super mario on a nintendo ds. Naturally my kids were looking over his shoulder...

That and try talking to ANY kid about football and all they talk about is their ps3

I noticed that the other day. It was 75 and crisp and all i heard at the park was the sound of some kid playing super mario on a nintendo ds. Naturally my kids were looking over his shoulder...

That and try talking to ANY kid about football and all they talk about is their ps3
    ahh, my kingdom for a park-sized EMP generator.

I just need a Faraday cage for my phone so I can keep playing Angry Birds....
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I openly carry my kids around all the time. Now they are older and walk around on their own.

In all seriousness...its always best to just be honest with the kiddos. They're really observant and you never know what they might repeat.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Several years ago the mother of one of my daughters friends needed to talk to me about "the gun in our house" like it was Freddy Kruger and Jason all rolled into one. I explained that the kids don't have access to the guns (yet) but all that could change the minute I started hearing the voices. All kidding aside, my daughter is 17 and I still need to help her develop a working relationship with our firearms. She works with me land surveying and at times I feel a need to carry my 40cal into the woods with us. When she turns 18 next year I will get her to start carrying in the woods as well. When she takes over the business she will be well versed on how to protect herself. Guns are not as frightening as ignorance. Children should not have to have nightmares because they see your pistol. They need to be far more fearful of the sanduskys of the world. Parents need to be armed to protect their children from the sanduskys.
    tricolordad likes this.

I feel most kids are not used to seeing anyone with a gun other than a LEO or Bad Guy, so they are immediately curious and are not afraid to ask why you have one. My state is not a traditional OC state, however even my kids started asking why I had a gun when I started carrying concealed, but removed my shirt at home. Even though I have had an LTC for over 12 years, they were not used to seeing me with any of my weapons.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

ya i had an experience like that. exact same thing. but with my 5 year old daughter having my back, made it alot better. she explained to the little kids that asked me about my gun, that it was for protecting her in case a stranger tried to take her while out in public. then she kept playing with the kids and they all went on and acted as though nothing had happen. thank you baby girl. that is why i always make sure my daughter knows about things before i aquire it. like my gun. i explained it to her cuz she asked me. so i told her and thank god she remembered.
    Yesterday while at the park watching my kids, they were playing with an outspoken little girl, about 4 or 5, who suddenly and loudly noticed my carry.
    At the top of her lungs she scolded me "WHAT IS THAT IN YOUR POCKET?!" referring to my holster. I played stupid and said "I'm sorry, I don't have anything in my pockets. What do you mean?" She then said "YOU HAVE A GUN, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GUN" to which I replied: "I carry a firearm because I might need it to protect my family someday." "DON'T SHOOT ANY LITTLE KIDS WITH IT!!" She then turned off her charm and continued to rock back and forth on the giant purple dinosaur. Never thought I'd encounter a kid who would actually notice. Her mother avoided me like the plague, seemed like an anti because the moment we got there she tried herding her kids to the other part of the playground but the father laughed and nodded at me. My kids stopped playing with her pretty quick and my 4 year old even said "GO, get away from me!"

Have any of you ever had an experience like that? It was pretty amusing after the fact, but taking in that it's a kid, you've got to be more careful in your response...did I do ok?

BTW, I put her in all caps because she was extremely loud and the playground was packed and literally stopped and nearly emptied after the encounter...still can't believe how she projected that voice lol

As W.C. Fields so eloquently put it... "Get away from me kid, you bother me".
    BushidoMarine likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    My kid said "Boom boom bad guy gone!"
    That deserves an ice cream cone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links