Kids and open carry

This is a discussion on Kids and open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday while at the park watching my kids, they were playing with an outspoken little girl, about 4 or 5, who suddenly and loudly noticed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Kids and open carry

Kids and open carry

Yesterday while at the park watching my kids, they were playing with an outspoken little girl, about 4 or 5, who suddenly and loudly noticed my carry.
    At the top of her lungs she scolded me "WHAT IS THAT IN YOUR POCKET?!" referring to my holster. I played stupid and said "I'm sorry, I don't have anything in my pockets. What do you mean?" She then said "YOU HAVE A GUN, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GUN" to which I replied: "I carry a firearm because I might need it to protect my family someday." "DON'T SHOOT ANY LITTLE KIDS WITH IT!!" She then turned off her charm and continued to rock back and forth on the giant purple dinosaur. Never thought I'd encounter a kid who would actually notice. Her mother avoided me like the plague, seemed like an anti because the moment we got there she tried herding her kids to the other part of the playground but the father laughed and nodded at me. My kids stopped playing with her pretty quick and my 4 year old even said "GO, get away from me!"

Have any of you ever had an experience like that? It was pretty amusing after the fact, but taking in that it's a kid, you've got to be more careful in your response...did I do ok?

BTW, I put her in all caps because she was extremely loud and the playground was packed and literally stopped and nearly emptied after the encounter...still can't believe how she projected that voice lol

2. Remove Ads

Lying to her probably didn't get things off on the right foot. You set yourself up for "YOU HAVE A GUN!!" You can decide for yourself whether your response was adequate.

It is kind of amazing how observant kids can be compared to their parents who are totally oblivious! I would simply have told her I was carrying something to protect my family from bad guys, and maybe here mom ought to do the same thing to protect her! Wonder what kind of reaction that would have gotten out of mom!
    surefire7 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    Lying to her probably didn't get things off on the right foot. You set yourself up for "YOU HAVE A GUN!!" You can decide for yourself whether your response was adequate.
    You choose your words poorly and inaccurately.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Open carry is no longer allowed here, but it seems like it comes with the territory. No different than when I school people who want more gun control.

Additionally I do not think kids should open carry, just saying
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

For some reason, kids seem to notice a lot more than adults do. My personal theory is that, for a lot of small kids, the gun sits at eye level.

I think you handled it pretty well. I might have been tempted to tell the mother she needs to have a talk with her kid about talking to strangers.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I hate most other people's kids to begin with. I have a problem being interrogated by a 4 year old. My response would have been different. It's ok to lie to a child in that situation. It's none if their business!
    tricolordad, Badey, GH and 4 others like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Next time, do what your 4 year old did....

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    My personal theory is that, for a lot of small kids, the gun sits at eye level.
    That's been my experience too. I've never had a kid say anything. Just look, maybe try to show mommy or daddy.

FWIW, you seem to have done fine. Personally I would not go straight to explaining the gun unless I was certain that was the question. That would be awkward if it was not directed at the gun wouldn't it?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Additionally I do not think kids should open carry, just saying
    It depends... I used to OC long guns when I was a kid (as young as 12ish maybe) through our suburbanish neighborhood as I walked off to the woods to shoot or hunt, and before the GFSA in 90, it was normal in some rural areas for some kids to hunt before school, drop their rifles/shotguns off at the office, then pick them up for the way home. Don't remember hearing about any school shootings back then.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ...And you're a snotty-nosed little brat.
    Spidey2011 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    I didnt lie to her. I remember being a kid and how things looked different at that level. It was probably her mother who put her up to it.

And NO, im not going to be mean to kids. At that age, a man my size with a holstered firearm is just a potentially big scary MWAG under the wrong light, and a stupid attitude and rude response to a child wont help that perception. Id like her to become an educated 2a vote, even if she is a snotty little brat.
    jrclen likes this.

kids notice more than adults because they are eye level normally....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I didnt lie to her. I remember being a kid and how things looked different at that level. It was probably her mother who put her up to it.

And NO, im not going to be mean to kids. At that age, a man my size with a holstered firearm is just a potentially big scary MWAG under the wrong light, and a stupid attitude and rude response to a child wont help that perception. Id like her to become an educated 2a vote, even if she is a snotty little brat.
    You could always deflect and ask her why shes riding a purple dinosaur. Chances are that her mother will ruin any chance of her being an educated 2A voter. The fact that she told you not to shoot any little kids just proves that no one in her household has deemed it necessary to explain to her about guns.

I was 3 years old when my safety training started. My Dad took me out to the range and shot watermelons with his .357. Didn't give me hearing protection or anything. I got the full effect and understood EXACTLY why i shouldn't touch a gun without him around, and I never did. He always told me that if I wanted to shoot I could ask him, and he'd take me. I knew what guns were for, and if I ever seen someone with one, I never questioned it. If people would take the mystery out of it and show a kid exactly what it does, we wouldn't have these kinds of issue. Kids should have a healthy respect for firearms.

I agree. They are an everyday item. It's not like she isn't going to end up playing Call of Duty or a similar game. My parents are extremely anti 2A, yet I bought all those games when I got my first job at 15...we teach kids about power tools in school, yet how many people actually own a bandsaw or have ever used one outside of shop class? Shop was mandatory in my middle school, and in high school it was that or home ec. Yum lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links