Man who carries gun to polls sues

This is a discussion on Man who carries gun to polls sues within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man who carries gun to polls sues - southbendtribune.com SOUTH BEND An attorney representing a man who claims he was improperly denied access to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Man who carries gun to polls sues

Man who carries gun to polls sues - southbendtribune.com

SOUTH BEND An attorney representing a man who claims he was improperly denied access to a polling place because he was carrying a gun filed a lawsuit Wednesday in St. Joseph Superior Court against the county Election Board and other various parties, including the County Police Department and Board of Commissioners and the Warren Township Board of Trustees and Fire Department.

Lawyers LOVE this. Concealed license holders? Not so much. Gun extremism & activism, especially in today's gun-panic climate, may not serve us well. I'm currently following more of a don't ask/don't tell approach to my 2nd Amendment Rights. Why kick a hornet's nest?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I agree 100%, ghost tracker. I try to fly under the radar as much as possible. People that like to call attention to themselves and aren't teenage girls probably have a psychological issue or two.

If he feels the need to it so be it after all it is a free country. We as gun owners need to fight discrimination whenever possible, they denied his rights and they are wrong. Good for him I hope he wins, besides why fly under the radar if you might be arrested for a law that doesn’t exist
    Last edited by barstoolguru; August 24th, 2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: typo correction
    ccw9mm, suntzu, Eagleks and 7 others like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    More power to the guy. Sometimes it takes action such as this to force local municipalities AND law enforcement to comply with the very laws they make and are sworn to enforce.

Here in FL the state recently gave teeth to its "preemption" law to force some municipalities to back off from enacting illegal ordinances.
    Crowman, Mr B and kmagnuss like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If he wants to go around making his point, tilting at windmills like Don Quixote, puffing about his right to do so, you're right & that's fine. But if his actions only serve to reinforce more restrictive laws, clarify gray-areas into clear no-gun zones & leave (voting) middle-of-the-roaders leaning over the fence in the wrong direction? I would personally prefer him to direct his activism toward legislative changes by running for office or supporting pro-gun candidates. I don't want a topless stripper in the Town Council meeting protesting her "natural" rights. It's strategically counterproductive.

BTW, was he turned away open carrying or concealed? Is it in the article?
    rammerjammer likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I don't want a topless stripper in the Town Council meeting protesting her "natural" rights. It's strategically counterproductive.
    But think how involved citizens might be in local politics...
    blitzburgh likes this.

He will do more harm than good to gun rights. Pick your battles wisely.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.

He was open carrying...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

More power to those willing to challenge all these unreasonable restrictions. Even if such a thing (as no personal weapons in polling places) is on the books, IMO it shouldn't be.

Of course, there are always multiple ramifications to actions. Who's to say what all the potential ramifications are. Might well be the only thing achieved is hardening of hearts in the halls of power and the general population.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by scsvstrom View Post
    He was open carrying...
    Thanks. Then undoubtedly it was a planned-protest meant to provoke a response. He got one. I only wonder if it's the one we WANT.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    He will do more harm than good to gun rights. Pick your battles wisely.
    He did not pick a abttle. He was OC'ing as is his right. The leadership at the polls and LEO's were clueless about the law..even after giving them an oppurtuity to figure it out. No citizen complained. Just a voting official who did not know th elaw.

It was everybody else that was picking a fiight. Oh...that is right. OC'er should not be seen or heard.
    64zebra, ccw9mm and Gun Bunny like this.

The city of IRVING, TX has a civic center and they had posted 30.06 signs (gun busters) AT all the entrances. by state law (Texas) they could not restrict lawful carry on government owned property unless it is a scholastic or school function. there was a Texas CHL instructor went to a show and seen the signs so he wrote letters to the city manager telling them they can't do that and they researched it and wrote him back (by e-mail he posted it) saying they will have the signage removed and they were wrong. you can fight city hall and win

The Irving Convention Center and 30.06
    64zebra likes this.

What cracks me up is a lot of folks are afraid this guy might jeopardize their 2A right by exercising his. For those that have just heard about this there was a thread that was just closed today that had a very good discussion on the incident. IMO this guy was not after a you tube moment.

My,my...how the tide has suddenly changed in favor of these silly little law suits.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links