An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

This is a discussion on An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Almost anyone walking around with a long gun, specially one such as an AR, AK47, Sig 556, MP5, and pick a shotgun; is one of ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Almost anyone walking around with a long gun, specially one such as an AR, AK47, Sig 556, MP5, and pick a shotgun; is one of the following!

Baiting cops
    Trying to scare people
    Looking for attention
    Mentally unstable
    Has low self esteem
    Ready to shoot people

Open carrying these guns are much different and less safe than OCing a holstered firearm.

I would have a different opinion if it were during civil unrest or other circumstances that would make such actions acceptable!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'd say this officer did a fine job handling this situation. I'll admit, I don't know a lot about the BATFE and NFA regulations.....I don't have to. As HotGuns already stated, it's not my jurisdiction. If I have an "encounter" with an armed citizen who's carrying what visually appears to be a class 3 weapon, you better believe I have RAS to detain the individual and check the gun.
    And herein lies the rub, if it's legal in your state to openly carry a firearm as well as own NFA firearms you have no RAS of a crime . No different than an Officer demanding that an open carrier provide ID so the Officer can check to see if he/she is a convicted felon.

As to ORS 166.272, the statute does not give an Officer the authority to arbitrarily demand proof as insinuated by the OP. The statute makes it legal to own NFA items in Oregon and provides relief from an Officers authority to ARREST an individual if in possession of documentation ..........

There is a wrongful assumption amongst many both in and out of law enforcement that one is guilty until proven innocent when dealing with firearms.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Been lurking around for a while, but I was reading this and I have seen this same idiots youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/Markedguardian He has all kids of these stupid videos just trying to provoke confrontation.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Almost anyone walking around with a long gun, specially one such as an AR, AK47, Sig 556, MP5, and pick a shotgun; is one of the following!

Baiting cops
    Trying to scare people
    Looking for attention
    Mentally unstable
    Has low self esteem
    Ready to shoot people

Open carrying these guns are much different and less safe than OCing a holstered firearm.

I would have a different opinion if it were during civil unrest or other circumstances that would make such actions acceptable!

How is a statement such as this any different than people who carry concealed firearms are:

.... compensating for small genitalia.

.... paranoid and delusional.

.... just itching for an opportunity to shoot someone.

.... a safety hazard to others.

................................ ?

As to the baiting thing .............. smart fish ignore bait.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    How is a statement such as this any different than people who carry concealed firearms are:

.... compensating for small genitalia.
    That's not why I CC...

...but it is why I carry an extra .45 magazine in my pocket - even when I'm carrying a 9mm.

Senior Moderator
    Here's the guys YouTube page. Not surprising he doesn't allow comments on the video.

Markedguardian's channel - YouTube

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    That's not why I CC...

...but it is why I carry an extra .45 magazine in my pocket - even when I'm carrying a 9mm.

I carry two

Well, here he is expressing how good the officers in his area are and how much he appreciates their knowledge.

Presentation, Open Cary, in Lethia Park Oregon. - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Well, here he is expressing how good the officers in his area are and how much he appreciates their knowledge.

Presentation, Open Cary, in Lethia Park Oregon. - YouTube
    Maybe they're just not giving him what he wants. A confrontation.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Almost anyone walking around with a long gun, specially one such as an AR, AK47, Sig 556, MP5, and pick a shotgun; is one of the following!Baiting copsTrying to scare peopleLooking for attentionMentally unstableHas low self esteemReady to shoot peopleOpen carrying these guns are much different and less safe than OCing a holstered firearm.I would have a different opinion if it were during civil unrest or other circumstances that would make such actions acceptable!
    One hundred% agree with your opinion. Spot on in regards to why any clown would OC a assault type firearm in public that obviously didn't just step out a hunting expedition. Having the right to do so is one thing, actually doing it is just plain stupid and antagonistic IMO; and it actually hurts the cause more than it helps..
    ericb327 and 357and40 like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Why didn't the officer ask to see his LTC? Is it like Vermont where you don't need one? Should have asked for permit to possess any type of firearm. Otherwise nice job. Next time taze him for being annoying.

- Todd
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The entire premise that an officer is not in the right or being deemed guilty before proven innocent is not right thinking.
    There are many variations of the same theme not involving firearms, where the priority of public safety is balanced with checking things out.

One of the most common are, routine safety check points where officers are checking for intoxicated drivers, proper registration, and safe vehicles. There is no difference here.

The problem with people OCing a weapon, is that the jacklegs are more obvious than the jacklegs who conceal it. Both concealed carry dummies, and OC dummies will be readily identified by the way they behave, but the gun immediately becomes a factor when it's seen.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    That's not why I CC...

LOL, that's funny, yet another reason for extended magazines...

You would think with all the stuff this guy does that the local leo would figure out what he's doing and just ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    And herein lies the rub, if it's legal in your state to openly carry a firearm as well as own NFA firearms you have no RAS of a crime . No different than an Officer demanding that an open carrier provide ID so the Officer can check to see if he/she is a convicted felon.

As to ORS 166.272, the statute does not give an Officer the authority to arbitrarily demand proof as insinuated by the OP. The statute makes it legal to own NFA items in Oregon and provides relief from an Officers authority to ARREST an individual if in possession of documentation ..........

There is a wrongful assumption amongst many both in and out of law enforcement that one is guilty until proven innocent when dealing with firearms.
    I agree with your interpretation.

But there has to be some way to allow some common sense to come into play where if something doesn't pass the "smell test", officers can have the option - with minimal inconvenience - insure that everything is above board. I frequently make the "slippery slope" argument, but from a pragmatic standpoint, we can't afford to push the extreme boundaries of our rights and expect no ramifications.

Maybe when the Supreme Court rules that open carry and CC must be allowed everywhere in the US to abide by the 2nd Amendment, we can afford to spread our wings a bit. But until then we have to face the fact that our 2nd Amendment "rights" that are guaranteed are no greater than what they are in the most restrictive jurisdiction. IOW, either get the Supreme Court to rule that NYC or Chicago gun laws violate the 2nd Amendment, or accept that any "rights" you enjoy beyond those are offered simply through the generosity of your local legislatures - they aren't constitutionally guaranteed. As such, pushing the boundaries could simply result in you losing those freedoms - and you won't have the 2nd Amendment to fall back on.

California's OC is case in point.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links