An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

This is a discussion on An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really couldn't care less that the guy is open carrying or even that he's open carrying a rifle. Ehh.. whatever, dude. But what makes ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

Senior Moderator
    I really couldn't care less that the guy is open carrying or even that he's open carrying a rifle. Ehh.. whatever, dude.

But what makes me raise my eyebrows and not want to share a lunch table with someone like this is that there is something..... off about it all.

Okay, if you feel you need to walk around with your rifle strapped to you.. go for it, dude! I won't even get into the why. "Because I can," is fine enough for me.

What is weird is that, in watching these videos, it's like some perverted narcissism. Carrying a handgun just wasn't edgy enough.. wasn't attention grabbing enough..

"Look at me, everyone! I'm carrying a rifle! That's right. I'm bad ass. Go ahead, ask me about it. Come on, ask me!"

He as much as says so in his videos.

Now, he can say he's doing it because he just wants to educate people.. Yeah... uh huh.. right. Sure. And that might be the story he tells himself when he wakes up in the morning and slings his rifle over his shoulder. And, yeah.. he might actually be educating some people in the process and I'm fine with that. But my little eye spies someone who just likes the attention. He likes the stares and the whispers and the glances out of the corner of the room. He doesn't want to be the grey man. In fact, he wants to be the neon green with flashing lights man and he's proud of it. The confrontations with officers are just by-products of getting the attention he wants. This is as close as he will get to celebrity status and he is EATING IT UP!!!

Come on... the camera on him while he walks down the street and talks like he's someone big and important. The random comments from people who pass him by. The people stopping him to talk to him and get his opinion on things. The hundreds of thousands of comments he gets from these videos he posts online. I'm sure every hit is a little shot of dopamine straight to the pleasure center of his brain.

I'm not saying he's wrong. There are worse things he could do for attention.

He is legal.

And as far as how smart or not smart it is to open carry a rifle.. whatever.. there are valid arguments on both sides. Personally I don't think it's that smart but that's just my opinion.

I just don't like that brand of narcissism.

2. Remove Ads

That doesn't even bother me Lima, people get attention in different ways - this is his.

Don't you get yours by by being not only a female who carries, but one who posts some of the most informed, well written responses and best constructed and thought out threads on the interwebz? :)

He's doing his thing, legally, and not hurting a soul... Is this the biggest fish we have to fry? If so, I guess we're doing OK, huh?

Personally, I view this kind of thing as political activism. Just like when African Americans stood up for their rights. I don't see anyone here criticizing them, and guess what? They were actually breaking laws! These guys are simply doing something that they are completely within their rights to do. I also don't blame them for having a camera on the entire time. If I were carrying a rifle down the street, I'd have a camera too!

As far as it being smart or stupid, who cares? It's legal, isn't it? Personally, if it results in the education of the general public and/or police officers, I think it's a good thing.
    sgb likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Personally, I view this kind of thing as political activism. Just like when African Americans stood up for their rights. I don't see anyone here criticizing them, and guess what? They were actually breaking laws! These guys are simply doing something that they are completely within their rights to do. I also don't blame them for having a camera on the entire time. If I were carrying a rifle down the street, I'd have a camera too!

As far as it being smart or stupid, who cares? It's legal, isn't it? Personally, if it results in the education of the general public and/or police officers, I think it's a good thing.
    I don't like it when people equate this kind of stuff to black rights. No offense to you, btw.

A race of people standing up and fighting for their right to be recognized as citizens and human beings is so different than a person with a chip on their shoulder walking down the street with a rifle and throwing the second amendment in the faces of everyone who would question them.

The people who broke the law to be heard were fighting for a right they didn't but should have had. They were willing to go to prison to be heard.

The people who OC like this are hiding behind a right they already have and (dare I say) take advantage of and, yes, in some cases, abuse.

WAY different.

sgb
    One mans crusade is another mans annoyance.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The officer responded to a call for service. IMO he did a great job.

@SGB, which is it
    One mans crusade is another mans annoyance.
    It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB
    Are you a crusader or do you avoid conflict?
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I am an advocate of OC, but those kids were being idiots! The officer handled it professionally; in fact, I think he couldn't have handled it better! Gold star for the officer!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Well... devil's advocate here.

It's Monday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Tuesday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Wednesday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Thursday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Friday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Saturday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.

Come Sunday you say enough is enough as you're a little annoyed so you learn about the Squirrel and how to explain to him that the cookie is yours and he can't bite it, and by golly you're going to record it too!

Well, little did you know, on Sunday it's a different squirrel who isn't trying to bite your cookie, but just making sure everything is alright and takes the acorn next to you.

You get the whole uneventful thing on tape and move on.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Well... devil's advocate here.

It's Monday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Tuesday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Wednesday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Thursday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Friday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.
    It's now Saturday and you're standing on the side of the road minding your own business and a squirrel bites your cookie.

Come Sunday you say enough is enough as you're a little annoyed so you learn about the Squirrel and how to explain to him that the cookie is yours and he can't bite it, and by golly you're going to record it too!

Well, little did you know, on Sunday it's a different squirrel who isn't trying to bite your cookie, but just making sure everything is alright and takes the acorn next to you.

You get the whole uneventful thing on tape and move on.
    I think by Wednesday I'd learn not to stand on the side of the road with my cookie.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result? lol

Good cop. OCer looking for trouble...aghhh!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I think by Wednesday I'd learn not to stand on the side of the road with my cookie.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result? lol
    Or I'd bring along my .22 like the joker in the video did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I hear alot of people argue that its legal, so theres no problem with it. I have an issue with that. If we as a society did what was legal, but completely ignored common sense and respect for each other, the world wouldnt be quite as nice.

Having common sense and respect for other viewpoints is not mandated by law, but it helps us all out. People can be complete bafoons to other people and never break a law. Laws help, but thats not where it ends.
    limatunes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    And herein lies the rub, if it's legal in your state to openly carry a firearm as well as own NFA firearms you have no RAS of a crime . No different than an Officer demanding that an open carrier provide ID so the Officer can check to see if he/she is a convicted felon.

As to ORS 166.272, the statute does not give an Officer the authority to arbitrarily demand proof as insinuated by the OP. The statute makes it legal to own NFA items in Oregon and provides relief from an Officers authority to ARREST an individual if in possession of documentation ..........

There is a wrongful assumption amongst many both in and out of law enforcement that one is guilty until proven innocent when dealing with firearms.
    Someone walking around in the general public with a rifle and a video camera with the obvious intent to stir up trouble, is just that a trouble maker. I would have detained him also. We had a OIS here that started when a male was walking down the street carrying a rifle. He was on his way to a local school when officers encountered him. He shot it out and lost. While I understand OC is legal in many places, what this clown did was STUPID. No amount of supporting him will change that he is stupid and itching for a fight.
    Harryball and Bubbiesdad like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I don't like it when people equate this kind of stuff to black rights. No offense to you, btw.

A race of people standing up and fighting for their right to be recognized as citizens and human beings is so different than a person with a chip on their shoulder walking down the street with a rifle and throwing the second amendment in the faces of everyone who would question them.

The people who broke the law to be heard were fighting for a right they didn't but should have had. They were willing to go to prison to be heard.

The people who OC like this are hiding behind a right they already have and (dare I say) take advantage of and, yes, in some cases, abuse.

WAY different.
    I have to respectfully disagree. We don't have the rights that we should, and we DO need to stand up and get those rights back. the 2nd Amendment says the words "shall not be infringed," yet those rights are infringed upon every day. Would it be better if these guys broke the unconstitutional laws that are already on the books? Or is it a smarter move to simply exercise our current rights in a public manner? I think the latter is the best move, and exactly what this guy did. At no point was he disrespectful to the officer, and I certainly didn't see him as having a chip on his shoulder. I see nothing wrong with what he did or how he did it.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the actions of a few complete idiots, so they view all of these encounters as negative. There is no reason to consider this a negative encounter. Everyone was polite and courteous, and no ones rights were violated. Sounds pretty positive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    At no point was he disrespectful to the officer, and I certainly didn't see him as having a chip on his shoulder. I see nothing wrong with what he did or how he did it.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the actions of a few complete idiots, so they view all of these encounters as negative. There is no reason to consider this a negative encounter. Everyone was polite and courteous, and no ones rights were violated. Sounds pretty positive to me.
    He had an agenda was agumentive and was close to being uncooperative.
    kb2wji and limatunes like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links