An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response. - Page 7

An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

This is a discussion on An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 40Bob Nope, the criminal is not violating anyone's rights. Only the state (government) can do that. The cop received a call for ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Nope, the criminal is not violating anyone's rights. Only the state (government) can do that. The cop received a call for service. He has a duty to respond and investigate. Case law in this case Terry VS Ohio (which also touches on about 20 other cases for further clarification) gives the officer constitutional authority for a brief detention for investigative purposes, which he did and let the subject walk. Before you start saying LEO's what they can and cannot do you should study the constitution and its associated case law.
    So given that everyone has a right to life (among other things), when a criminal takes someone's life they are not violating their rights? When a criminal kidnaps someone, they are not depriving them of the right to liberty? Please, please explain this to me.

You say that a cop has a duty to investigate b/c of a citizen complaint, but that does not include a duty to stop a citizen who is not breaking any laws and there is no reasonable suspicion of criminal activity - the complaint was in regards to a citizen doing something that is legal. The LEO's ignorance regarding whether the firearm is full or semi-automatic doesn't constitute reasonable suspicion - I worked at a shooting range that LEO's frequented and a good percentage of rifle shooters had semi-auto rifles, yet not once did an officer start checking those rifles to see if they were capable of full auto. The LEO also showed his ignorance by doing a function check on an unloaded rifle to determine if it was full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I do not understand why you edited my statement to suit your agenda. I think I answered your question in my previous post.
    To show your hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
    The view of an active leo...
    1. That kid is an idiot. I believe in open carry but that kid does not represent me.
    2. The officer couldn't have been more professional. The kid was being purposefully confrontational and the officer still was calm and kept control of the situation.
    3. I'm guessing that state has no common law concerning going armed to the terror of the public? In my state I would have explained that to him, advised him why he was doing something that was ill advised, and if he still didn't get it I would have arrested him.
    So you believe in using your badge to enforce your own agenda against citizens who are not doing anything illegal? Nice. You do get that you're the reason people must carry recording devices to protect themselves from the police and the reason there's so much distrust of LEO's, right?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    The guy in the video is a nut job and his very behavior is reason enough in my opinion. I believe if you look for confrontation enough, you will find it. He seeks out confrontation regularly while armed. One day he will find it and very well be his last!
    Bad Bob likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Well handled Officer! Very professional.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
    The view of an active leo...
    1. That kid is an idiot. I believe in open carry but that kid does not represent me.
    2. The officer couldn't have been more professional. The kid was being purposefully confrontational and the officer still was calm and kept control of the situation.
    3. I'm guessing that state has no common law concerning going armed to the terror of the public? In my state I would have explained that to him, advised him why he was doing something that was ill advised, and if he still didn't get it I would have arrested him.

And I'd dare to say you'd be the Chief's little darling when the city you work for paid out on the resulting law suit. Your brand of contempt of cop using so called "terror of the public" statutes has already been tried and failed in multiple jurisdictions. Bad cop, no doughnut for you.

North Carolina Supreme Court ruling in State v. Huntley

STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY.
    [Cite as State v. Huntley, 25 N.C. (3 Ired.) 418, 40 Am. Dec. 416 (1843).]

But although a gun is an "unusual weapon," it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no (p.423)offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. .

Actually the NC "law" - The offense of riding or going armed with unusual or dangerous weapons, to the terror of the people, is an offense at common law: it is unlawful for a person to:

1-arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon,
    2-for the purpose of terrifying others,
    3-and go about on public highways
    4-in a manner to cause terror to others.
    This law is a "four-pronged" violation, and for it to apply to any given situation, the "accused" must meet ALL FOUR criteria. If you don't meet ALL four, it is not applicable.

How can anyone claim to be a professional LEO and not make it their job to know and understand the laws of the state they work in?
    Spidey2011 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    So given that everyone has a right to life (among other things), when a criminal takes someone's life they are not violating their rights? When a criminal kidnaps someone, they are not depriving them of the right to liberty? Please, please explain this to me.

You say that a cop has a duty to investigate b/c of a citizen complaint, but that does not include a duty to stop a citizen who is not breaking any laws and there is no reasonable suspicion of criminal activity - the complaint was in regards to a citizen doing something that is legal. The LEO's ignorance regarding whether the firearm is full or semi-automatic doesn't constitute reasonable suspicion - I worked at a shooting range that LEO's frequented and a good percentage of rifle shooters had semi-auto rifles, yet not once did an officer start checking those rifles to see if they were capable of full auto. The LEO also showed his ignorance by doing a function check on an unloaded rifle to determine if it was full auto.

Title 42, Section 1983 United States Code may be a good place to start.

To show your hypocrisy.
    Just because you do not like what happened does not make it wrong.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Senior Moderator
    This thread is closed I will remind our members that personal attacks and broadbrush anti LEO statements will get you banned.

2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.
    9a. Bashing Law Enforcement Officers.
    This has never passed muster here, and never will. The specific DC forum that includes law enforcement in it's focus is not meant to be a place to jump up on a self-righteous pulpit and start ripping law enforcement apart. You will find our tolerance to these kinds of posts to be at an end. "Broad brush" anti law enforcement commentary is prohibited, we encourage you to take it somewhere else.
    Rock and Glock and ericb327 like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links