An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

This is a discussion on An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep in mind in this state OC is legal, but in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

VIP Member

An OC'er looking for a confrontation!!!! Surely not. Great Officer response.

Keep in mind in this state OC is legal, but in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork. This guy is apparently notorious for his videos of OC incidents.

Video: Cop's expert open carry response goes viral

I love the part where the kid does not consent to a search as he is told to keep his hands away from the weapon and turn around. The officer did a great job.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Officer did an outstanding job. Knowledgeable, courteous, and professional.

I hate this guy. He makes us look bad
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Wow! Let's nominate Nork for Officer of the Year... and I hope to heck the "baiting" OC crowd promotes this episode as the right way for OCers and LEOs to interact.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sharp cop... At one point the kid was almost speechless. Love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    JerryMac likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Keep in mind in this state OC is legal, but in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork. This guy is apparently notorious for his videos of OC incidents.

Video: Cop's expert open carry response goes viral

I love the part where the kid does not consent to a search as he is told to keep his hands away from the weapon and turn around. The officer did a great job.

I'm going to ask for a statute substantiating the part in bold. Further the Officers "Reasonable Suspicion" argument here is very, very thin. AR 15 rifles look exactly like M 16 rifles as M1a's look like M 14's and M1 carbines look like M2 carbines. Not to mention that Glock 17's look like Glock 18's and unless the MP 5 look a like was a SBR (which it apparently wasn't as the Officer never asked for to seea tax stamp) it would have a 16" barrel which MP 5's don't have.

While the Officer was very Professional he was also blowing smoke out his rectal orifice as to his RS.

HK MP 5

lg_mp5.jpg

HK 94

hk94b.jpg
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The cop took control of the situation like the pro he is. He never got sucked into a power struggle or a debate. The punk with the camera obviously expected to film a confrontation where he could debate his rights and instead wound up following directions and then getting schooled. This cop did it right.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I'm going to ask for a statute substantiating the part in bold. Further the Officers "Reasonable Suspicion" argument is very, very thin.
    ORS 166.272 (3).

ORS 166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers.

3) A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating subsection (1) of this section if the person has in the person’s immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ORS 166.272 (3).

ORS 166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers.

3) A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating subsection (1) of this section if the person has in the person’s immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law.
    Now show me the part that substantiates your allegation that "in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork".
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Now show me the part that substantiates your allegation that "in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork".
    Uncertain what you don't understand. ORS 166.272 substantiates it. That statute requires a person in possession of an NFA controlled item to have in one's possession paperwork confirming lawful possession of that item. Can't very well do that without showing it.

And no LEO is going to allow a person to walk away in such a situation after simply saying so. "Gee officer, I've got the paperwork. Don't wanna show it to ya, but I've got it right here."

EDIT: Correction of mistaken statute# reference (ORS 166.172). Correct ref is 166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 24th, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
    gasmitty and thephanatik like this.

sgb
    Uncertain what you don't understand. ORS 166.172 substantiates it. That statute requires a person in possession of an NFA controlled item to have in one's possession paperwork confirming lawful possession of that item. Can't very well do that without showing it.
    OP's words "but in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork" OP said nothing about NFA. He did not differentiate between semi-automatic, fully automatic or select fire. The OP lumped them together as "automatic". Nothing in the statute you posted gives an Officer the authority to stop and demand "ID" and "proper federal paperwork" because of open carry of a "automatic" firearm. Words have meanings as do statutes.

Your words "but in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork" You said nothing about NFA. You did not differenciate between semi-automatic, fully automatic or select fire.
    Uh, TacMan's original words were: "but in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork."

You'd asked for the supporting Oregon statutory reference for that claim, which I provided.

ORS 166.272 relates to those "automatic weapons" that TacMan was referring to ... NFA-controlled thingies, which basically covers the "fully-automatic," "automatic," and "select-fire" variants of the word "automatic."

I suppose the phrasing "federal paperwork" is a fudge, but it's the federal NFA legal requirements that generate the paperwork from BATFE. So it is, basically, "federal paperwork."

EDIT: Correction of mistaken statute# reference (ORS 166.172). Correct ref is 166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 24th, 2012 at 05:26 AM.

sgb
    Uh, TacMan's original words were: "but in order to open carry an automatic weapon you must show ID and proper federal paperwork."

You'd asked for the supporting Oregon statutory reference for that claim, which I provided.

ORS 166.172 relates to those "automatic weapons" that TacMan was referring to ... NFA-controlled thingies, which basically covers the "fully-automatic," "automatic," and "select-fire" variants of the word "automatic."

I suppose the phrasing "federal paperwork" is a fudge, but it's the federal NFA legal requirements that generate the paperwork from BATFE. So it is, basically "federal paperwork."
    You can subjectively dance around that alleged statute you provided all you want but neither it nor you have provided what I asked for. Proof that the Op's statement is correct.

Authority of city to regulate discharge of firearms

(1) A city may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within the citys boundaries.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:

(a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.

(b) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.

(c) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 3; 2009 c.556 2]

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    That guy is an idiot!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I've seen a couple videos like this before. These guys go out looking for trouble with law enforcement. As has been said already, they give us all a bad name and they accomplish nothing. Idiots.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links