Inviting A “Stop and Frisk” By Openly Carrying - Page 5

Inviting A “Stop and Frisk” By Openly Carrying

This is a discussion on Inviting A “Stop and Frisk” By Openly Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Stop and Frisk" or in other words a Terry stop. LEO: "I see you're carrying a gun. I am going to search you for a ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Inviting A “Stop and Frisk” By Openly Carrying

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Stop and Frisk" or in other words a Terry stop.

LEO: "I see you're carrying a gun. I am going to search you for a gun."

Stop and chit chat, sure. Stop and frisk = violation of rights, absent probable cause and/or subsequent to arrest. Not knowing the law or being in possession of a tape measure does not constitute probable cause. Idiot or not.
    mlr1m likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I saw this unfold on OCDO with this guy's posts...this guy is a moron. I guess he didn't get enough attention as a child. He's young and stupid, and doesn't understand consequences; that his actions reflect on other folks who legally open carry.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just another moron who hurts the cause.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    Because others don't know your intentions. How far would you expect to get on a city street "legally" carrying the weapon pictured here? You'd be seen as an armed maniac, regardless of what you may be, especially in light of recent events. Remember, half the people you share the country with have completely different attitudes on guns than you have, and we should choose our battles carefully.

Attachment 62360

P.S. I'm actually in the market for an affordable AR-15 like this, but I won't be walking around town with it!
    I do agree with what your saying. But if people want to profile then thats on them. Profiling may not be as bad as some make it out to be, if it helps you avoid a potential thug and go home at the end of the day. But whos to say what kind of person your really avoiding? Have you ever seen the pictures of the beautiful bikini clad Israli military women with ARs out in public? Ok so Isreal isnt exactly the US but I think it makes my point.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I cannot force others to refrain from doing stupid things. What is the remedy if the person was not breaking any law?

Michael
    Ridicule. Not taking up for them when they have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Making a point of telling EVERYONE that idiots like that do not represent us as gun owners and that we disagree with their actions. Laugh rather than show outrage when they are detained while the LEOs on scene sort through every thing. Tell them we heard Massengill was looking for their first male spokesman...errr spokesperson.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I get so sick and tired of these discussions. What the guy did was stupid and harmful to those of us that exercise our rights to actually defend ourselves and not make political points. Then we get the inevitable "He was within the law, he did nothing wrong" defense. What is overlooked is the real damage that is done to our future ability to enjoy those rights. When enough people are offended by, or scared by, the idiots doing these things we're done. The 2nd Amendment can be amended out of our Constitution. Just ask the people in CA how their open carry demonstrations worked out. If these bags of feminine washing liquid get their way we'll all be in the same boat soon.
    If the point you are making is that if you exercise your right to do something it might be taken away you are correct. However if you are not going to exercise it why not give it away? Whats the harm in losing a right you cannot exercise?

Michael

As I said before, this guy is an idiot! He walked out of his door with the intent of causing trouble. Look at his website. No reasonably sane person could conclude otherwise. Like I said before, with rights comes much responsibility. He wants to exercise his rights, but he certainly doesn't want to be responsible for his actions. Meaning he doesn't care whether his actions hurt the larger cause (and it does). People like him set us back quite a bit. Because of him, and people like him, we as gun owners will be forced to work even harder to overcome the negative stereotypes that people hold about us. And don't say it doesn't matter what other people think. Of course it does. In order to win the war, we need to change people's perceptions. His stupid acts fall right into the hands of the anti's.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Does the 2nd amendment have any provisions prohibiting criminals and the mentally ill from bearing arms?

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Does the 2nd amendment have any provisions prohibiting criminals and the mentally ill from bearing arms?
    No.

Michael

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post

Do we really need to go down that road in this thread??

does the 2nd amendment leave room for any rules?

Scalia "Open" To Gun Control?

For me, what it boils down to is intent. I have defended open carriers who were simply carrying as part of their daily routine who were harassed for no reason. I have also vilified idiots with chips on their shoulders who's intent is obviously to create a scene, and that actually HOPE to draw the attention of law enforcement.

sgb
    No one here is going to change their mind in regards to such incidents, even gun owners are anti gun today. Constitutional rights and protections have become meaningless.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    For me, what it boils down to is intent. I have defended open carriers who were simply carrying as part of their daily routine who were harassed for no reason. I have also vilified idiots with chips on their shoulders who's intent is obviously to create a scene, and that actually HOPE to draw the attention of law enforcement.
    And that is the problem. Who gets to say what your intent is. Until we develop our own version of Spok's Vulcan mind probe for side of the road brain scans the problem will exist.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    No one here is going to change their mind in regards to such incidents, even gun owners are anti gun today. Constitutional rights and protections have become meaningless.
    sgb, I respect you and your opinion, but I must disagree with you here. As I see it, this thread and others like it aren't about constitutional rights per se. They are more about being STUPID with our rights. I will sing the mantra one more time. Everybody say it with me:
    WITH RIGHTS COMES MUCH RESPONSIBILITY!

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    And that is the problem. Who gets to say what your intent is. Until we develop our own version of Spok's Vulcan mind probe for side of the road brain scans the problem will exist.

Michael
    Sorry, must disagree with you here. We don't need a vulcan mind probe to see it. You can look at this guy's website and his intent becomes very clear.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links