Inviting A “Stop and Frisk” By Openly Carrying

This is a discussion on Inviting A “Stop and Frisk” By Openly Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Did the Police know this before he was detained? Do we want the Government to be able to detain a citizen ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Inviting A “Stop and Frisk” By Openly Carrying

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Did the Police know this before he was detained? Do we want the Government to be able to detain a citizen on the side of the road while they go search for proof of intent?

Michael
    The police know him well, and know his motives.

He once carried a Colt Navy replica "in his hand" along the roadside, because a 100 year old law said he could. He carried until he got his attention he was seeking.
    He is all about provoking authority, seeking opportunity for a lawsuit, it has nothing to do with gun rights. I have exchanged PM with him before. He is a world class sphincter.

tricolordad likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    The police know him well, and know his motives.

He once carried a Colt Navy replica "in his hand" along the roadside, because a 100 year old law said he could. He carried until he got his attention he was seeking.
    He is all about provoking authority, seeking opportunity for a lawsuit, it has nothing to do with gun rights. I have exchanged PM with him before. He is a world class sphincter.

:SNIP:
    If the police know him so well why do they keep allowing him to provoke them? If they keep getting caught with the same tactics or bait maybe they need better training?

Michael

JD
    Administrator
    If the police know him so well why do they keep allowing him to provoke them? If they keep getting caught with the same tactics or bait maybe they need better training?

Michael
    In these instances we're talking about different locals and agencies.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Michael
    If they receive a MWAG call from a citizen, are they supposed to ignore it?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The thing is I do agree that this guy was a tool. That he was hurting our cause. The only thing I disagree with is that it was the Government who put him in his place. If there is no law against what he did then it is the Government that is in the wrong when they take action. At that point I will stand up for the party being wronged. In this case it just happens to be some tool who probably got what he deserved. The trouble is that the Government abused their powers by making a issue of it.

I'm sorry if I bother others with my stand. This gentleman might deserve to be called out, ridiculed, protested or whatever but it is not an issue for the Government if no law was broken. If they can abuse the rights of a man who we might not like could they not also abuse ours if they so desire?

Michael
    Abused? "Excuse me one moment while I check to see that your weapon is in compliance with the law. Yes, it's good to go, and so are you."

That's abuse?

I'd much rather be checked and sent on my way than for LEO's to never check when a violation may exist. The guy asked for the attention, he got it, all was cool and off he goes. Yet some of us make the major deal about it (giving the attention seeker all the more attention).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Abused? "Excuse me one moment while I check to see that your weapon is in compliance with the law. Yes, it's good to go, and so are you."

That's abuse?

I'd much rather be checked and sent on my way than for LEO's to never check when a violation may exist. The guy asked for the attention, he got it, all was cool and off he goes. Yet some of us make the major deal about it (giving the attention seeker all the more attention).
    Not in my opinion. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Others may disagree though. Now if it happened on a regular basis I would say that yes it is probably an attempt to dissuade me from doing something that is perfectly legal. At that point it would become abuse of power.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    If they receive a MWAG call from a citizen, are they supposed to ignore it?
    No, but thats not the problem. The problem is how they react when they get there. If they react properly and within the law there is no problem.

Michael

Wow he just HAD to get some attention, me? Id prefer to go home and watch tv....might miss Bonanza.

I think this is more a case of a mentally unstable reject provoking police for attention. Knock on the devils door long enough and sooner or later somebodys gonna answer.

Michael
    Because hes a dbag with a lawyer. He walks around running his mouth and stirring up trouble looking for a lawsuit and a life to ruin. Hes probably under the assumption the gun makes him a man.
    Bubbiesdad and SCXDm9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I call Hogwash! Simply HOGWASH. He wanted to bait and draw attention to himself and that's what he got... Don't try to muddy the water with what you think his intentions were; he had the brush and painted his picture pretty clearly and it leaves little to the imagination, or speculation. One thing to keep in mind. This is not a court of law. This is the court of public opinion and it's clear that we as a group (more so than not) think the guy was baiting and trying to stir the pot of opinion in a bad way....

How in the world can you or anyone for that matter read this thread and seemingly not understand the point behind what's wrong about what this guy did...... Are you just ignoring the fact, or has it literally alluded you completely? I'm not trying to be condescending in anyway to you or anyone else, but it's puzzling me as to why this guy deserves any support for his actions. Personally, I believe you as well as others know full well what the problem is but somehow feel the need to stand staunchly on the letter of law regarding the legality of the firearm in question like that in itself means a hill of beans. All that stand can do is fule the powers that be to amend the law under the guise of clarity, the whole time removing sections that will actually limit our carry rights. I mean, just what in the heck is so wrong with the vast majority of carry laws already? I know it varies from state to state and some are more restrictive than others, but from what I understand the state that this guy lives in is pretty good about its carry restrictions. For the more restrictive ones I would somewhat understand the reason to make a point and act in this manner, but IMO there's really no need for this clown to do what he's doing. For the record, I couldn't care any less about this guy personally, but what I do care about is this. When idiots like this guy go around and single handadly try to wreck the rights of others to openly carry by painting a pretty nasty picture of gun ownership to the general public.

This will be my last post on the subject as I don't want to derail the thread. While I do respect the opinion of others on just about any subject, this is one that I just can't get my head around and I'll just agree to disagree on the subject and this guys actions in particular. It's still my opinion that he's a terrible spokesman for gun ownership and carry due to his decision to flaunt his "pistol" in such a flamboyant manner. I understand that he has since lost his carry permit and I think that is funny as hell! I guess now if he tries something like this, he'll find a special room with his name one it and free of charge, along with time to think on just how good his decision making skills are.

Good day all!
    Did I ever say I supported what he did? Nope. In fact, I believe my first post in this thread stated that it wasn't very smart. But the fact remains that it WAS legal. I can't say for sure what his intentions were, and neither can you. If he was looking for attention, then WHY did they give it to him? Measure the barrel and move on. Should have been 15 minutes at best.

As far as standing for the letter of the law, I believe we should. LE holds people to the letter of the law every day, no matter how stupid the law is. Even if there was no criminal intent, and it was truly a legitimate mistake. Why should we not hold them to the same standard?

Just because YOU see it as wrong, doesn't mean it is. A lot of people believe that you are wrong for carrying a handgun. That doesn't make it so, does it?

And yes, the current laws ARE wrong. 100% totally and completely wrong. The 2A says "Shall not be infringed." IMHO, every gun law to date has infringed on that right.

For the record, I've carried a rifle in a state park (Makoshika). The entrance to said state park was technically inside the city limits, just like this one. I also had a dang good reason to do it. Has anyone here asked this guy why he carried said AK? I'd like to hear his response before I judge him.
    HotGuns likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Lets look at the standard of the law.

If the man was within the confines of the law, which he was found to be, then this should be no issue.
    What he did was legal. No other opinion matters. No amount of speculation about what if, no amount of speech or though process matters.

Everything else is irrevelant. What I think, what you think, what anyone thinks does not matter what gazillions of people write on the internet, dont matter.Its a done deal and it is what it is.

Thats the bottom line.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Lets look at the standard of the law.

If the man was within the confines of the law, which he was found to be, then this should be no issue.
    What he did was legal. No other opinion matters. No amount of speculation about what if, no amount of speech or though process matters.

Everything else is irrevelant. What I think, what you think, what anyone thinks does not matter what gazillions of people write on the internet, dont matter.Its a done deal and it is what it is.

Thats the bottom line.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links