Open carry at a garage sale

This is a discussion on Open carry at a garage sale within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 open carry in public is perfectly fine. However, do you want strangers to know you have firearms in your home? I ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Open carry at a garage sale

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    open carry in public is perfectly fine. However, do you want strangers to know you have firearms in your home? I open carry in my neighborhood but I don't want invited strangers to have an opportunity to case my house and see that I have firearms.
    So, strangers can't see you walking around in your neighborhood with a gun on and 'case' your house?

No one you don't know ever visits or drives through your neighborhood?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Since it appears CC is legal as long as you stay on your property, it may be wise to CC. I don't, and wouldn't want to advertise that I'm a gun owner. Its not like you will personally know every individual(or who their friends are) that comes to browse/purchase your items, and it could result in your house becoming a target for burglary with the intent of stealing your firearm(s). The same reasons I don't have those signs like "my neighbor is anti-gun, but I'm not" or "protected by Ruger" in my yard or on my cars, and don't wear shirts like "I don't dial 911". I prefer to remain "gray man". It also opens up the door if any of your neighbors is anti-gun or anybody that stops by is anti-gun to lose sales or get into a "debate". Just my $.02

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Discretion...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I would not advise OCing for a garage sale. However, take that with plenty of salt since I think OCing is the 2A equivalent of the Occupy movement: stupid, counterproductive, and potentially bad for your health.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    At a garage sale I would carry concealed. Too many people you don't know walking around (presumably) and you have to be in constant close contact with them. Concealed gets my vote.
    This gets my vote.
    NRA Life Member

GH
    I just got back from a walk in the nearby State Forest. Being as it's a Saturday there were more people than I usually encounter during the week. I normally open carry there but all that means is my untucked T shirt is pulled up so the gun is more readily available. My dog's leash is held by my left hand & pulling the shirt up is a bit slower. When I get near people I just give the T shirt a tug to cover the gun & holster. I believe in open carry but I really don't want to advertise. The same goes when I'm working or sitting in my yard. If the gun prints then so be it but I'm not going to put on a show that I'm armed. I don't believe there's any advantage in that. Both are legal in my state.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3126 View Post
    ~~ snip ~~ Thanks for the quick responses. Josh

P.S. - I did state previously I am going to apply for my CPL. I am not currently licensed to conceal, which is why I can only open carry. Michigan does not have a law on the books making it "illegal", so therefore it is legal. I have already been through the class required for the permit, I just haven't submitted the application yet.

Thanks again.
    I do see where MCL 750.227 allows you to have a pistol on your property without having to apply for a Concealed Pistol Permit.

However, what I found may open this up to a whole different discussion. I was looking to find specific laws in Michigan pertaining to carry on/in private property. What I initially found is disturbing at best.
    Found at:
    Michigan Legislature - Basic MCL Search
    Using Keywords: Right to carry, Firearms, Concealed Weapons

28.421.amended Definitions; lawful owning, possessing, carrying, or transporting of pistol greater than 26 inches in length; firearm as pistol.
    Sec. 1.
    (1) As used in this act:
    (a) "Felony" means that term as defined in section 1 of chapter I of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 761.1, or a violation of a law of the United States or another state that is designated as a felony or that is punishable by death or by imprisonment for more than 1 year.
    (b) "Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BBs not exceeding .177 caliber.
    (e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

(2) A person may lawfully own, possess, carry, or transport as a pistol a firearm greater than 26 inches in length if all of the following conditions apply:
    (a) The person registered the firearm as a pistol under section 2 or 2a before January 1, 2013.
    (b) The person who registered the firearm as described in subdivision (a) has maintained registration of the firearm since January 1, 2013 without lapse.
    (c) The person possesses a copy of the license or record issued to him or her under section 2 or 2a.

(3) A person who satisfies all of the conditions listed under subsection (2) nevertheless may elect to have the firearm not be considered to be a pistol. A person who makes the election under this subsection shall notify the department of state police of the election in a manner prescribed by that department.

And
    28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
    Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

(2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within 30 days after his or her arrival in this state.
    (3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist: ~~ snipped~~

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:
    (a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
    (b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
    (c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
    (d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
    (e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

From what I am reading, for any Pistols (firearms under 26 inches in length), you have to have a license just to purchase or possess the firearm regardless of where it is located or stored.

Please verify this for yourself as I am not a lawyer or a resident in Michigan.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    So, strangers can't see you walking around in your neighborhood with a gun on and 'case' your house?

I don't invite multiple strangers to my house to view my belongings! My neighbours know I open carry but that's different!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post

Pretty sure you missed the point.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'd do it, repercussions (if any) be damned.

Garage salers are a ravenous bunch, so I doubt that any would be put off by your display. Plus, it may dissuade those with sticky fingers from borrowing anything...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    It largely hinges upon the value you place on potential customers' attitudes toward firearms.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Well, not to be smart or anything, but...

If I were really serious about drawing attention to myself, as in, looky here at me... I'm not one to be messed with...

I would wear my Rolex Oyster watch, my one ounce gold nugget necklace, and my three diamond rings with 18k gold, along with my pink Fedora pimp hat!

It's a yard sale for goodness sake! A weapon is not a fashion statement IMHO, it's for a confide life and death situation and not to give a would be criminal advance notice of your wardrobe. Or notice to your would be customers, "steal from me and looky here"!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    Pretty sure you missed the point.
    I'm actually pretty sure I got it.

Not sure if ericb327 got it, though.

Still rolling my eyes...

New Member Array kentucky_rednec's Avatar
    I went to a garage sale a few weeks ago. The guy there was saleing frog lube and had it gun sitting on the table beside his money box. It didnt seem to bother anyone.. I say do it..

Is there any state that bans conceal carry in your own home - or on your own property - whether or not you have a CWP?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links