Open carry at a garage sale

This is a discussion on Open carry at a garage sale within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sat at a folding table and clipped my holster to the leg hinge so it was just put of view but accessible in case ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Open carry at a garage sale

I sat at a folding table and clipped my holster to the leg hinge so it was just put of view but accessible in case the trailer park gangstas showed up. Nobody even noticed when i did OC it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I'm actually pretty sure I got it.

Not sure if ericb327 got it, though.

Still rolling my eyes...

No I didn't vague post guy!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    No I didn't vague post guy!
    Once more, slowly this time:

You don't want strangers at your house knowing you are armed

You will OC while walking around your own neighborhood

(Do strangers not travel through your neighborhood? They do mine quite often)

Therefore, someone with ill intent who sees you OCing can 'case' you and find out where you live, because now they know you have at least one gun.

Understand now?

Or is everyone in or who travels through your area fine upstanding citizens?

How do you know?

CC for me!

Once more, slowly this time:

You don't want strangers at your house knowing you are armed

You will OC while walking around your own neighborhood

(Do strangers not travel through your neighborhood? They do mine quite often)

Therefore, someone with ill intent who sees you OCing can 'case' you and find out where you live, because now they know you have at least one gun.

Understand now?

Or is everyone in or who travels through your area fine upstanding citizens?

How do you know?

CC for me!
    I get it now, you're trolling an open carry thread! I've already responded to you and you want an argument. See previous responses.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    See previous responses.
    Right back to you.

I'm not the only one who expressed the opinion that if you don't want strangers to know you have arms, don't carry openly. Whether it's at a 'garage sale' at your home or walking your neighborhood.

Should be common sense.

VIP Member
    Not up on MI law, but isn't it legal to carry concealed, even without a permit, as long as your on your own property? If it is, and your worried about running people off with an exposed gun, go that way.

Positive side to open carrying at your garage sale, people probably won't want to haggle price near as much.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Positive side to open carrying at your garage sale, people probably won't want to haggle price near as much.
    I agree.

We do one each year on post when I'm around and you would not believe how cheap Soldier's wives are. They will argue about price saying well at the house down the street they had that item for $1. My response "you better hurry up before someone else snaps up that bargain." I don't haggle at garage sales. Funny thing is that every year we make recover about $500 to $1,500 on clothes and smaller items -- nothing "big ticket" -- and most every time we never hear of anyone hauling in more.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    OC if you want too. I OC when I take a walk for exercise. Yes, I do have a CC License. A state trooper lives 3 houses from me, and when he is in his yard when I walk by his house, he says hi and waves at me. No problems with OC.

I'm tired with all of the - you're a target if you OC. I've done it off and on for 45 years and I've never been a target yet. Sometimes it's just easier to OC.

I sometimes go to yard sales OCing and I have never seen anybody get scared and run off because I was OCing. I have had them say - nice gun, what kind is it?

Seems like the people here sweat the small stuff too much. It's you life - do what you want. Who cares what other people think.
    ericb327, OldVet and GH like this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Your intended customers will be too busy looking for treasure to notice. The ones that do will probably make an offer or ask "How much for the gun?"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    At a garage sale I would carry concealed. Too many people you don't know walking around (presumably) and you have to be in constant close contact with them. Concealed gets my vote.
    I give another vote for this one. I would feel much better not letting everyone who stops by for the sale know that I have guns in the house. And as has been pointed out, carrying concealed should be perfectly legal as long as you stay on your own property.

VIP Member
    Right back to you.

I'm not the only one who expressed the opinion that if you don't want strangers to know you have arms, don't carry openly. Whether it's at a 'garage sale' at your home or walking your neighborhood.

Should be common sense.
    Yes, it is quite the conundrum. Do you project a strong defense and in the process deter 95% of potential BGs BUT possibly attract unwanted attention to yourself from the other 5%? Or do you blend in, acting like a sheep when among sheep? This would negate the risk of being targeted specifically for your guns but then you run a higher risk of being caught up in a normal, regular Joe criminal, predation type event.

Who's to say what it right and what isn't? There really is no answer.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    In your neck of the woods, I doubt you would get many odd looks.

You CAN carry concealed in Mi. as stated here without a CPL permit;

MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a concealed pistol if you are in your home, place of business, or on other land possessed by you. If you do not possess the land, you may lawfully carry the pistol as long as you carry it non-concealed. Michigan appellate courts have held complete invisibility is not required for the weapon to be considered concealed. The weapon is concealed if it is not observed by those casually observing the person as people do in the ordinary and usual associations of life. Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, states a pistol carried in a holster or belt outside of the clothing in plain view is not considered concealed, but carrying under a coat would constitute concealed.

Obtained from here;

MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

There is a wealth of information here from the MSP and I suggest anyone with a question to begin here.
    If you have a question that an answer is not found, email the MSP directly, and they will give you an honest, legitimate answer.

Here is the link page for that, either by phone, snail mail or an email inquiry.

MSP - Contact MSP
    this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    Agree completely with this. If you want to carry, and you have the permit, conceal it.
    You don't need a permit to conceal on your own property.

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    You don't need a permit to conceal on your own property.
    Are you sure that is correct for all states. Kentucky just passed the law this year! I would be careful in making blanket statements like this. If he concealed in his front yard in Illinois he might be breaking the law.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links