Open carry at a garage sale

This is a discussion on Open carry at a garage sale within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search, but was unable to find where this subject had been covered. Of course, my search skills might not be up to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Open carry at a garage sale

Open carry at a garage sale

I did a search, but was unable to find where this subject had been covered. Of course, my search skills might not be up to par.

But anyway, my wife and I are having a garage sale this weekend, and I was considering open carrying while sitting out there. I can see where it may scare off some people, and may attract unwanted attention to the fact I have a gun in the home.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and what the reactions were from people. Was it positive or negative?

I am planning on applying for my CPL soon, as I have the certificate, but would still like to exercise my Second Amendment right as a free citizen in my own home.

Please discuss. I hope to learn a great deal from this one.

Thanks. Josh

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If the objective of the garage sale is to sell stuff, why do something that may scare off customers?

As long as you can OC in your home and its curtilage without a permit (check your state laws to be sure), it's your choice, and I am not about to pass judgment on what you do on your private property.

Myself, I would not be intimidated, and I would probably ask if the gun was for sale. But that's just me.

In my neck of the woods it probably wouldn't put off too many people. Your neighborhood may be different. If you don't want to scare off any customers get creative with ways to have your gun available and handy but out of sight. That shouldn't be too difficult to do.
    sensei2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    If the objective of the garage sale is to sell stuff, why do something that may scare off customers?

As long as you can OC in your home and its curtilage without a permit (check your state laws to be sure), it's your choice, and I am not about to pass judgment on what you do on your private property.

Myself, I would not be intimidated, and I would probably ask if the gun was for sale. But that's just me.
    Agree completely with this. If you want to carry, and you have the permit, conceal it.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member
    It's really your call. You know your neighbors and your community. You are certainly within you rights to OC, just be prepared for the consequences - reduced sales and possibly a negative image among your neighbors.

You are probably over-thinking. If you are so inclined, do it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

You don't mention if you are licensed to carry concealed. Without overstating the obvious, that would be the way to go. I am not a huge fan of open carrying. Not in a widely public setting anyway. For a walk in the woods, hunting, etc. it all comes down to convenience and comfort.

I kind of figured the responses to this one would go this way. I live out in the country, and I don't EXPECT trouble, but you never know. I live near a college town, and we just got a fresh crop of students, some of who may be "underprivileged urban youth" with a chip on their shoulder.

I may do like wmhawth suggested, and just keep it out of sight but accessible.

Thanks for the quick responses. Josh

P.S. - I did state previously I am going to apply for my CPL. I am not currently licensed to conceal, which is why I can only open carry. Michigan does not have a law on the books making it "illegal", so therefore it is legal. I have already been through the class required for the permit, I just haven't submitted the application yet.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3126 View Post
    I did a search, but was unable to find where this subject had been covered. Of course, my search skills might not be up to par.

But anyway, my wife and I are having a garage sale this weekend, and I was considering open carrying while sitting out there. I can see where it may scare off some people, and may attract unwanted attention to the fact I have a gun in the home.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and what the reactions were from people. Was it positive or negative?

I am planning on applying for my CPL soon, as I have the certificate, but would still like to exercise my Second Amendment right as a free citizen in my own home.

Please discuss. I hope to learn a great deal from this one.

Thanks. Josh
    I'm so glad I live in a state where I don't have to jump through all those hoops to carry concealed.
    sdprof likes this.

Not sure about your particular state, but many states allow concealed carry within the confines of your private property without a permit. DEFINITELY check your local regs on this one.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    open carry in public is perfectly fine. However, do you want strangers to know you have firearms in your home? I open carry in my neighborhood but I don't want invited strangers to have an opportunity to case my house and see that I have firearms. I would conceal for this reason at a yard sale. On the other hand, people would be less likely to haggle you on pricing!
    KoB likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    On the other hand, people would be less likely to haggle you on pricing!
    Funny!!!

VIP Member
    In your neck of the woods, I doubt you would get many odd looks.

You CAN carry concealed in Mi. as stated here without a CPL permit;

MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a concealed pistol if you are in your home, place of business, or on other land possessed by you. If you do not possess the land, you may lawfully carry the pistol as long as you carry it non-concealed. Michigan appellate courts have held complete invisibility is not required for the weapon to be considered concealed. The weapon is concealed if it is not observed by those casually observing the person as people do in the ordinary and usual associations of life. Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, states a pistol carried in a holster or belt outside of the clothing in plain view is not considered concealed, but carrying under a coat would constitute concealed.

Obtained from here;

MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

There is a wealth of information here from the MSP and I suggest anyone with a question to begin here.
    If you have a question that an answer is not found, email the MSP directly, and they will give you an honest, legitimate answer.

Here is the link page for that, either by phone, snail mail or an email inquiry.

MSP - Contact MSP
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

sgb
    Oneshot hit the nail on the head
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

At a garage sale I would carry concealed. Too many people you don't know walking around (presumably) and you have to be in constant close contact with them. Concealed gets my vote.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

You should try to compromise and fit in...conceal your firearm with a Ferris State hoodie.
    oneshot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links