New member with a Open Carry (knife) question

This is a discussion on New member with a Open Carry (knife) question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking around online the past couple of days and haven't found anything concrete on this so I was hoping someone here would ...

Thread: New member with a Open Carry (knife) question

New member with a Open Carry (knife) question

I have been looking around online the past couple of days and haven't found anything concrete on this so I was hoping someone here would know.

I am just curious if anyone knows if there are any laws against open carrying a fixed blade (7" blade 12" overall) knife in Spokane, WA?

The only thing I can find is the restrictions for Seattle, which obviously doesn't help me.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Try to widen your search to state level. Then narrow if you find anything specific. I can't imagine there would be a law but I have no proof and don't live in your state. Hopefully someone can cite something for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You might want to pose your question to your state Attorney General Office
    http://www.atg.wa.gov/ContactUs.aspx

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Maybe this site would have an answer:

KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    Maybe this site would have an answer:

KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS
    I would be a bit leery of the information on this site. I checked the Wisconsin information on this site and it is misleading and not totally accurate. I strongly suggest you contact your state Attorney General Office for solid information.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    You might want to pose your question to your state Attorney General Office
    Contact Us(1)
    Thanks that was my next step, although I was going to call, I didn't even think about e-mail - thanks

Looks like you're good to carry unless you exhibit it in a threatening manner.

"RCW 9.41.270 Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty —Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for anyperson to carry, exhibit, display, or draw anyfirearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or anyother weapon apparently capable of producing bodilyharm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a timeand placethateither manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for thesafetyofother persons.

(2) Anyperson violating the provisionsof subsection (1) above shall be guiltyof a grossmisdemeanor. If anyperson is convicted ofa violation of subsection (1) ofthissection, theperson shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, ifany. The court shall send notice ofthe revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or countywhich issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) ofthis section shall not apply to or affectthe following:

(a) Anyact committed bya person while in his or her place of abodeor fixed place of business;

(b) Anyperson who byvirtue ofhis or her office or publicemployment is vested bylaw with a duty to preservepublic safety, maintain publicorder, or to make arrests for offenses, whilein the performance ofsuch duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose ofprotecting himself or herselfagainstthe use of presently threatened unlawful force byanother, or for the purpose of protecting another against theuse ofsuch unlawful forceby a third person;

(d) Anyperson making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission ofa felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in militaryactivities sponsored bythe federal or stategovernments.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 426; 1969 c8 § 1.]"

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

Use that site first for any questions you have. Those are state statutes for Washington. You may still want to check with municipalities to see if they have more strict laws. But for the most part you should be good. IANAL.

You could call the Police Department and if there is an ordinance about blade length they can give you the ordinance number
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I moved away from Spokane in '93 and at the time there was no problem with OC'ing my Buck knife. But things change so check out current state and local statutes more so than past experience
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

WA State has a preemption law for firearms regulations, but not "other weapons", so you'll need to check with the Spokane County Sheriff, as well as the Spokane PD.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Links