Today's OC Experience - Page 3

Today's OC Experience

This is a discussion on Today's OC Experience within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Alabama it's a strong cause and I've had one guy that asked me if I was a cop and I told him I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Today's OC Experience

Here in Alabama it's a strong cause and I've had one guy that asked me if I was a cop and I told him I worked private security, he asked me for whom and I told him myself.

I then told him that OC was legal in Alabama and he was okay after that. Gave him an ALOC card and went on with my day. I've had people say "exercising your 2a rights today! and stuff like that. Most of the time its the appearance you put forward, if you have a scowel on your face and just look like a jerk you tend to get bad responses. If you're 27 and look like you're 17 like me you tend to have good responses.
    skew12 likes this.

also with everyone keeping their cell phones on their hip most don't notice a weapon anymore because the cell phone on the hip thing has become the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Here in Alabama it's a strong cause and I've had one guy that asked me if I was a cop and I told him I worked private security, he asked me for whom and I told him myself.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Most of the time its the appearance you put forward
    Amen. IMHO, there's a few tricks to open carrying successfully.

1- Act normal. Don't try to hide the gun, but don't be flashing it all around or playing with it. If you act like it's perfectly normal for you to carry a firearm, the small percentage of people who notice it are subject to presume that it's perfectly normal for you to carry a gun. They might think you're a plain clothes LEO or detective or something, but they won't make a big deal out of it if you don't.
    2- Be polite. Like it or not, when you openly carry a firearm you are an ambassador for all other people who open carry. It's important to smile at people, say thank you and no thank you, yes sir and no ma'am. And for goodness sake hold the door open for the elderly and disabled. These are things everyone should do anyway, but when people see you doing them and carrying a gun, they are subject to have a positive experience with an OCer. On forums like these, we see lots of "Positive OC" and "Negative OC" stories, but what you don't see or hear are the positive and negative OC stories from the non-carrying public at large. You don't know and can't know how many people noticed your firearm and took away a good and polite experience from you. If you're rude or condescending, especially if you act like you have a chip on your shoulder and that other people should change their lives or what they are comfortable with because you have a right to carry a firearm and their feeling don't mean a thing to you, then you will create a negative experience for them and protecting our 2nd amendment rights becomes that much more difficult.
    3- Answer questions people pose of you as factually as you are able without a chip on your shoulder about your rights. Example: Responding with "In this State there's no distinction between concealed carry and open carry. A Georgia Weapons License is required for either and anywhere you can legally conceal a handgun you can also carry it openly in a non-threatening manner" is a good answer to "Can you carry that in here?". Responding with "It's my right to do so." is not. Witty responses might be fun, but they generally don't result in a positive experience for the people we encounter.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all preachy on the subject, especially on only my second post. Think I'll stop here and go back to lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Hicks View Post
    Amen. IMHO, there's a few tricks to open carrying successfully.

1- Act normal. Don't try to hide the gun, but don't be flashing it all around or playing with it. If you act like it's perfectly normal for you to carry a firearm, the small percentage of people who notice it are subject to presume that it's perfectly normal for you to carry a gun. They might think you're a plain clothes LEO or detective or something, but they won't make a big deal out of it if you don't.
    2- Be polite. Like it or not, when you openly carry a firearm you are an ambassador for all other people who open carry. It's important to smile at people, say thank you and no thank you, yes sir and no ma'am. And for goodness sake hold the door open for the elderly and disabled. These are things everyone should do anyway, but when people see you doing them and carrying a gun, they are subject to have a positive experience with an OCer. On forums like these, we see lots of "Positive OC" and "Negative OC" stories, but what you don't see or hear are the positive and negative OC stories from the non-carrying public at large. You don't know and can't know how many people noticed your firearm and took away a good and polite experience from you. If you're rude or condescending, especially if you act like you have a chip on your shoulder and that other people should change their lives or what they are comfortable with because you have a right to carry a firearm and their feeling don't mean a thing to you, then you will create a negative experience for them and protecting our 2nd amendment rights becomes that much more difficult.
    3- Answer questions people pose of you as factually as you are able without a chip on your shoulder about your rights. Example: Responding with "In this State there's no distinction between concealed carry and open carry. A Georgia Weapons License is required for either and anywhere you can legally conceal a handgun you can also carry it openly in a non-threatening manner" is a good answer to "Can you carry that in here?". Responding with "It's my right to do so." is not. Witty responses might be fun, but they generally don't result in a positive experience for the people we encounter.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all preachy on the subject, especially on only my second post. Think I'll stop here and go back to lurking.
    You didn't do to badly. I'll just add - smile and be friendly to the sheep, it puts them more at ease than if you are barking and growling.
    carracer likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I sometimes OC. Once, a lady asked me why I was carrying a weapon. I told her, "because cops are too heavy."
    carracer and MeanAction like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    In rural Kentucky, the attention is exactly reversed. We're not afraid of guns, but nine feet of transgender attire...gives us the woolies.
    First, I said huh?? when reading your post but then I saw woolies and not woodies like I first read it. i was like,,,whew...lol!!
    carracer, mlr1m and SmokinFool like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    First, I said huh?? when reading your post but then I saw woolies and not woodies like I first read it. i was like,,,whew...lol!!
    Thanks, Chief. This made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    What does a blue bra have to do with this??????
    I think it has something to do with what we would like to see open carried...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Sent from my DROID RAZR
    dude... I'm sorry but I'm stealing this... Once I understood I laughed till I had tears in my eyes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links