Defensive Carry banner

Today's OC Experience

5K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  Doodle 
#1 ·
I OC'd around town today. First time in a good while. Went into several shops to pick up various needed products and supplies. You know what happened??? - Nothing.

Just goes to show that if we don't make a big deal out of it then nobody else is likely to, either.

#3 ·
Back in the day when I lived where OC was legal, that was much the same result I experienced. What was shocking once loses its effect after a while.

#5 ·
I have not experienced any problems in Bellevue KY. I had one comment from a Coke vendor at a local convenient store and an uninformed LEO. But that's it!

#6 ·
Location is EVERYTHING! On the Vegas strip a seven feet tall, cross-dressing, she-male with a two-foot feather purple, sparkling head-dress wouldn't grab a second glance. But an OCed 1911 in a OWB holster would attract a crowd.

In rural Kentucky, the attention is exactly reversed. We're not afraid of guns, but nine feet of transgender attire...gives us the woolies. :blink:

#10 ·
Location is EVERYTHING! On the Vegas strip a seven feet tall, cross-dressing, she-male with a two-foot feather purple, sparkling head-dress wouldn't grab a second glance. But an OCed 1911 in a OWB holster would attract a crowd.

In rural Kentucky, the attention is exactly reversed. We're not afraid of guns, but nine feet of transgender attire...gives us the woolies. :blink:
Aren't the people packing in both your examples?

Michael

#7 ·
Thats the usual. Most people will look at your face and never notice whats on your hip. If the antis ever give you trouble, just remember....PATIENCE!!!! Or walk away. Good luck and good job! One more gun on a good guy means another deterrent to a bad guy.

#15 ·
I have mixed results with OC here. People usually don't notice. I have gotten some scared reactions, some positive reactions, and I have been hassled by LEO once.

#17 ·
I reside in Colorado, but have to spend much of my time in Texas where licensed handgun carry requires concealment. I predict that the Texas concealment restriction will most likely be "relaxed" during the legislature session in 2013 - along the lines of Oklahoma's recent modification of that State's handgun license laws.

I continue to prefer an IWB holster for my carry style whether in Colorado, Oklahoma, or Texas - concealed, or open because I prefer a low-profile presentation even if the handgun is modestly observable. I have a Colorado CHP, and a Texas CHL . Carrying in this manner, I have never had a MWAG issue, and I'm not encumbered by protruding accessories when in congested conditions.

My open carry with an IWB holster gets noticed to the extent that I want it to be noticeable without having to advertise the fact to everyone around me.

People take note of the fact that I am armed, but they are not "overwhelmed" by my armed presentation.

This is my personal preference, and I certainly am not suggesting that others should conform to my style. The only point I wish to make is that a person can open carry without bringing a lot of attention to themselves. Believe me - people that I interact with everyday are well aware that I am armed with a Glock - but my IWB presentation is very "soft".

#18 ·
I also live in Ky, rural, and sometimes if i am out kicking around at the house and have to go somewhere , hardware store, or parts house usually only thing that takes me away, and i am OC'n at the time i need to go, i hop in the truck, n go.....never got any flack for it, think most people never even notice, and if they do, it is not like i am walking around with a tactical belt, gun strapped to my leg, mags hanging everywhere, and a concealed carry badge flashing, I am just a guy at the hardware store with a gun on my hip.

#19 ·
I also live in Ky, rural, and sometimes if i am out kicking around at the house and have to go somewhere , hardware store, or parts house usually only thing that take me away, and i am OC'n at the time i need to go, i hop in the truck, n go.....never got any flack for it, think most people never even notice, and if they do, it is not like i am walking around with a tactical belt, gun strapped to my leg, mags hanging everywhere, and a concealed carry badge flashing, I am just a guy at the hardware store with a gun on my hip.

#20 ·
It says Cool Starry Bra, as in Cool story bro!.

I wish FL had true open carry.

Reactions: Doodle
#21 ·
I wish FL had true open carry.[/QUOTE said:
Me too. I am a transplant from Michigan and everyday I live in Florida I miss being able to open carry. It's something you can't truly appreciate until you don't have it.

As far as open carrying, very very rarely did anyone notice. People don't even look up from their smart phones while driving. :p Now children on the other hand they did notice but never any ill reactions from parents or LEOs.

#31 ·
Here in Alabama it's a strong cause and I've had one guy that asked me if I was a cop and I told him I worked private security, he asked me for whom and I told him myself.

I then told him that OC was legal in Alabama and he was okay after that. Gave him an ALOC card and went on with my day. I've had people say "exercising your 2a rights today! and stuff like that. Most of the time its the appearance you put forward, if you have a scowel on your face and just look like a jerk you tend to get bad responses. If you're 27 and look like you're 17 like me you tend to have good responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.